New Audeze "Prototype-Z"!
Nov 6, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #226 of 455
I love the sound. Weight never bothered me in the slightest. The headband could be made more comfortable but I wear these things for hours on end every day so it must not be bothering me that much. In fact many times I discover I still have them on even after finishing the last of whatever I was listening to and not even aware that they are on my head. That happens just about every day...

I for one like a well-built piece of equipment that looks and feels solid. That implies quality to me. And each Audeze headphone I have owned has been very comfortable to wear and listen to for many hours at a time. I must be in the minority on this one.

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #227 of 455
People are more likely to go to the effort of posting to complain about something than not. Typically when someone actually has no issue, the only times they'll post about it is either during a review, to answer someone's questions, or to offer a counter-opinion to someone's complaint.

Just because you see a bunch of people complain about something, that doesn't mean there aren't a large amount of silent happy customers.

Nov 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #229 of 455
I'd like to see polls of who's bothered by the weight. I feel like it's a vocal minority?

I think you are concerned about this because you have decided that we are requesting lower weight over sound quality as a design priority. That is not the case. We want lower weight and next generation Audeze sound quality. If that can't be done, I strongly doubt Audeze would compromise sound quality and jeopardize their hard-won reputation. However, I'm confident that Audeze headphones do not have to weigh 600 grams to achieve the same sound at around the same price. 

Also, I agree with those saying that a better headband would go a long way to reducing the issue.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #230 of 455
Just because you see a bunch of people complain about something, that doesn't mean there are a large amount of silent happy customers.

Most people don't bother to post their opinion online, pro or con. Audeze has said they are working on there issues (case in point, the new prototype headband on the LCD-Z), so they must be hearing from a fair number of customers.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #231 of 455
When will it be released and how will it sound, otherwise its an Audeze you either like them or you don't - me, I can't wait for more info !

Weight issues or current Audeze's do not bother me at all.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #232 of 455
I think you are concerned about this because you have decided that we are requesting lower weight over sound quality as a design priority. That is not the case. We want lower weight and next generation Audeze sound quality. If that can't be done, I strongly doubt Audeze would compromise sound quality and jeopardize their hard-won reputation. However, I'm confident that Audeze headphones do not have to weigh 600 grams to achieve the same sound at around the same price. 

Also, I agree with those saying that a better headband would go a long way to reducing the issue.

I'm on the exact same page as you, if there's room to be lighter, they should be. But I'm just cynical that much can be done, nor do I believe yet that the majority of users do indeed find the weight to be an issue.

Nov 7, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #233 of 455
I have no problem with weight, only the bumps on the headband (same as the much lighter K701) once I fixed the bumps with this, something that several members one the LCD-2 appreciation thread have used to solve the headband issue, I've been able to wear LCD-2s for hours and hours without any discomfort.  I agree with the "vocal minority" part - people are more likely to speak out if they're un happy than just continue on and enjoy their product.  It would be very interesting to see a proper poll posted on the front page or something that got a ton of exposure.  

A while ago someone posted a link to this "Suspension Premium Grade Leather Strap for Audeze Headphones" to the same LCD-2 thread, it's super over priced but you could do something similar to that for very cheap.

Nov 8, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #234 of 455
I was never bothered by the weight of Audeze headphones. I can listen to music for hours without problem, especially with LCD-3 and LCD-X. What I want is next gen Audeze sound. 

Nov 8, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #236 of 455
I got used to both the weight and the headband after about a month of daily 8 hour use.  It used to make the top of my bald head tender in the first month and leave a red pad mark up there that did hurt at first but it no longer does that as I am sure my head has just toughened up to it, i honestly no longer feel it at all really and have no issue listening for 4 hours at a time.  But I do have neck problems (diagnosed arthritis and bone spurs that pinch nerves from time to time) which would love reduced weight but having said that my neck is much stronger now which isn't so bad in itself.  It seems actually that my neck pains don't occur when the headphones are on but more so when they aren't.

In any case I will absolutely be buying the next generation Audeze no matter what they do because I believe in them and what they are doing to provide the ultimate in sound and craftsmanship without compromise.  I am sure they will both be lighter and more comfortable while at the same time providing even better sound.  I also love that they are designed and built in California. 

They earned a lifetime customer by delivering me the X and XC and I cannot wait to see what they come up with in terms of amplifiers as well 

o2smile.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 3:32 AM Post #237 of 455
Hello, here are the specifications of a headphones tube amplifier OTL (AudioValve Luminare), very powerful, quite competent to drive effectively the future Audeze prototype Z.

On a 1200 Ohm load: 5.5 Watt max / Channel (80 VAC max) (OTL mode)

Link: http://www.head-fi.org/t/727630/audiovalve-rkv-ii-otl-amp-2014-version-audiovalve-box-adapter-verto-for-stax-headphone-and-for-low-impedance-orthodynamic-eletrodynamic-headphone/180#post_11042716

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #238 of 455
At   106 dB/1mW  at 1200Ohm.
You can almost reach 130dB  with a Master-8,   291mW into 1200Ohm. LCD's are rated max 133dB for 200ms, with more than 700mW into 1200ohm you'd blow them up.

I think with a listening volume (loud) of 120dB is bad enough for your ears (29mW into 1200Ohm).

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:16 AM Post #239 of 455
  At   106 dB/1mW  at 1200Ohm.
You can almost reach 130dB  with a Master-8,   291mW into 1200Ohm. LCD's are rated max 133dB for 200ms, with more than 700mW into 1200ohm you'd blow them up.

I think with a listening volume (loud) of 120dB is bad enough for your ears (29mW into 1200Ohm).

It isn't about max volume, it is about operating at comfortable volume well well within the margins of what the equipment can produce. Also any amplifier should provide 2 outputs to allow A/B and trading off of the headphone of the moment depending on the song and your mood.  I would like to see an amp from Audeze that allows a sub-gain setting for each output in addition to a single master volume.  This way I can set both phones to the same relative volume and then control them both with the master volume making true A/B testing possible and swapping phones without having to always re-adjust the volume. The sub-gain dials could be on the back of the device for all i'm concerned to keep aesthetics.

Nov 14, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #240 of 455
Maybe possible benefit of the 1.2K ohm is for the OTL?  Since OTL has to be capacitive coupled for DC blocking, high resistance would be more immune to bass roll-off I would think.  Does anybody know if that is one the problem with OTLs besides the damping factor and inefficiency(overheating)?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back