New Audeze LCD3
Feb 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #3,976 of 11,521
Thank you for the insight.  That does seem to be a common theme about possibly needing a higher end amp to drive the LCD-3 well.  The caveat to that is any headphone that scales well will also sound better with better sources and amps.  So if that is true, then is it more appropriate to say that the LCD-3 is pickier and synergy isn't achieved as easily as say the less picky LCD-2. 

Quote:
in our community are now fifty fifty , some said not worth it to buy LCD 3 , because the Sound improvement not so big.

for me LCD 3 improvement is worth it , because my personal tease are two different Headphone between LCD 2 Rev 2 and LCD 3.

I can get more sound refinement in LCD 3 that i can not find in my LCD 2 rev 2.

Many friends off mine said :
The Soundstage from LCD 2 Rev 2 is from left to right
The Soundstage from LCD 3 more 3 dimensional ,has better layering and music separation
The Sound Quality from my LCD 3 is more grand than my LCD 2 Rev 2

Note : to my opinion LCD 3 is the difficultest LCD series to drive.
          You must have very good Headphone Amp to drive the best Sound Quality from LCD 3

Here is my opinion for easy to drive LCD series : LCD 2 rev 1 > LCD 2 Rev 2 > LCD 3

The best sounding for my LCD 3 if i pair with my Tube Pre Amp from T + A  P 10.2 Germany

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #3,978 of 11,521
And, if one could quantify improvement and enjoyment, do you think the LCD-3 will be worth the extra $1000 above the LCD-2 rev2? Yes, a very subjective question but I like to hear from owners of LCD-2 rev2 about making the leap to the LCD-3. It's not pocket change.

If you like the lcd2r1 sound then the upgrade will probably be worth it to you. It is like a lcd2r1 with a bigger soundstage, better imaging, bass, and clarity. If you like the sound of the lcd2r2 better than the lcdr1, it may be a tossup if you will like the lcd3. The lcd3 is darker than the lcd2 and the mids arent quite as clear. It is going to be dependent from person to person. For me it wasnt worth the upgrade over the lcd2r2.

Feb 24, 2012 at 1:48 PM Post #3,979 of 11,521

Quote:
If you like the lcd2r1 sound then the upgrade will probably be worth it to you. It is like a lcd2r1 with a bigger soundstage, better imaging, bass, and clarity. If you like the sound of the lcd2r2 better than the lcdr1, it may be a tossup if you will like the lcd3. The lcd3 is darker than the lcd2 and the mids arent quite as clear. It is going to be dependent from person to person. For me it wasnt worth the upgrade over the lcd2r2.

^ My sentiments as well.

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #3,980 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:
And, if one could quantify improvement and enjoyment, do you think the LCD-3 will be worth the extra $1000 above the LCD-2 rev2? Yes, a very subjective question but I like to hear from owners of LCD-2 rev2 about making the leap to the LCD-3. It's not pocket change.

co-sign...

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #3,981 of 11,521
I feel exactly the same way

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #3,982 of 11,521

Quote:

And, if one could quantify improvement and enjoyment, do you think the LCD-3 will be worth the extra $1000 above the LCD-2 rev2?   Yes, a very subjective question but I like to hear from owners of LCD-2 rev2 about making the leap to the LCD-3.  It's not pocket change.  

So... after 2 months of waiting, my LCD-3s are back from Audez'e. I returned them for testing because of the "veiled mids" issue and am very interested in seeing if the problem has been remedied. Thanks to Alex, Sankar and the crew for _overnighting_ them to me once they were comfortable that they were good to go.

My previous opinion was that once the "veiled" issue was fixed, the LCD-3s would be worth the extra $$$$ above the LCD-2.2s. They do everything at least little better: better bass (impact and quantity), better treble (clarity and smoothness), MUCH better soundstage and imaging, etc. I look forward to finding out tonight.

Feb 24, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #3,983 of 11,521

Can't wait
popcorn.gif

Quote:

So... after 2 months of waiting, my LCD-3s are back from Audez'e. I returned them for testing because of the "veiled mids" issue and am very interested in seeing if the problem has been remedied. Thanks to Alex, Sankar and the crew for _overnighting_ them to me once they were comfortable that they were good to go.

My previous opinion was that once the "veiled" issue was fixed, the LCD-3s would be worth the extra $$$$ above the LCD-2.2s. They do everything at least little better: better bass (impact and quantity), better treble (clarity and smoothness), MUCH better soundstage and imaging, etc. I look forward to finding out tonight.

Feb 24, 2012 at 7:56 PM Post #3,984 of 11,521

Quote:
FWIW, I personally don't find the LCD-3 any more demanding in terms of amping than the LCD-2 rev. 1.

Power wise, I agree, but synergy wise amps that I really loved with the LCD-2s (either revision) didn't work as well with the LCD-3s (namely the Lyr). I guess your lucky your amps are still a good match. My WA22 and GS-1 are a great match for either the LCD-2 or -3.

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #3,985 of 11,521
Olias,

Give us the answer baby!!!

Quote:

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:49 AM Post #3,986 of 11,521
Any news on the returned LCD3?

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #3,987 of 11,521

Quote:
Olias,

Give us the answer baby!!!

Sorry... listening now, but I've had a fair number of birthday cocktails and don't trust my ears enough at the moment to go into detail. I will say that I'm very, very glad to have the LCD-3 back... more to come on Saturday!

Feb 25, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #3,988 of 11,521
Great, then you'll have to answer the question, if you had to pick one as your only headphone in the name of world pizza which one would it be.....LCD-3, HE-6, or HD800. 

Quote:
Sorry... listening now, but I've had a fair number of birthday cocktails and don't trust my ears enough at the moment to go into detail. I will say that I'm very, very glad to have the LCD-3 back... more to come on Saturday!

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #3,989 of 11,521

Quote:
Great, then you'll have to answer the question, if you had to pick one as your only headphone in the name of world pizza which one would it be.....LCD-3, HE-6, or HD800. 

That's easy... for me, it's a properly amped HE-6.

I doubt I'll ever find the LCD-3 ideal for classical music, just as I'll likely never prefer the HD800 for rock. The HE-6 handles both of these genres very well, though perhaps without the HD800's perfection in rendering classical music's tonality or the LCD-3's ability to deliver rock music so well.

Give me one headphone, it's the HE-6. Give me two, and it's the HD800 and something else for rock.

Feb 25, 2012 at 1:27 AM Post #3,990 of 11,521

Quote:

That's easy... for me, it's a properly amped HE-6.

I doubt I'll ever find the LCD-3 ideal for classical music, just as I'll likely never prefer the HD800 for rock. The HE-6 handles both of these genres very well, though perhaps without the HD800's perfection in rendering classical music's tonality or the LCD-3's ability to deliver rock music so well.

Give me one headphone, it's the HE-6. Give me two, and it's the HD800 and something else for rock.

You got an HD 800 again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back