New Audeze LCD3
Feb 25, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #3,991 of 11,521

Quote:
You got an HD 800 again?

Strange how this hobby works, isn't it? I'd owned and sold an HD800 a while back... I loved them with symphonic music, but at the time I still believed that a singe-headphone solution was possible, and I wasn't about to keep the HD800 just for classical listening. I seem to no longer have that mindset and am perfectly willing to hold onto the HD800 for classical music... if I can find the right "excitement can" to use for rock music and other things.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:03 AM Post #3,992 of 11,521

Quote:

That's easy... for me, it's a properly amped HE-6.

I doubt I'll ever find the LCD-3 ideal for classical music, just as I'll likely never prefer the HD800 for rock. The HE-6 handles both of these genres very well, though perhaps without the HD800's perfection in rendering classical music's tonality or the LCD-3's ability to deliver rock music so well.

Give me one headphone, it's the HE-6. Give me two, and it's the HD800 and something else for rock.

Oh I see a Dark Star in your future...

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #3,993 of 11,521
I listened to some rock on a HE-6 + Darkstar. It was awesome. I liked the LCD3 slightly better, but really that's just taste. I liked the HE90 on A-10 on the same track better than both and the HE Jades about the same as the 2 orthos.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #3,994 of 11,521

Quote:
Oh I see a Dark Star in your future...

Quite possible. I've nearly decided to pick a high-power amp (DS or EF-6) to pair with the HE-6. I love how the HE-6 sounds with the Liquid Fire, but I can't help thinking that there's another level to be found...

On the other hand, if I fall back in love with the LCD-3, the HE-6 might be out of the equation entirely.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #3,995 of 11,521

Quote:
Quite possible. I've nearly decided to pick a high-power amp (DS or EF-6) to pair with the HE-6. I love how the HE-6 sounds with the Liquid Fire, but I can't help thinking that there's another level to be found...

On the other hand, if I fall back in love with the LCD-3, the HE-6 might be out of the equation entirely.

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #3,996 of 11,521
Strange how this hobby works, isn't it? I'd owned and sold an HD800 a while back... I loved them with symphonic music, but at the time I still believed that a singe-headphone solution was possible, and I wasn't about to keep the HD800 just for classical listening. I seem to no longer have that mindset and am perfectly willing to hold onto the HD800 for classical music... if I can find the right "excitement can" to use for rock music and other things.

We all give in a little at a time. :D

How do you like the HD 800 with the LF?

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #3,997 of 11,521

Quote:
We all give in a little at a time.
biggrin.gif

How do you like the HD 800 with the LF?

It's a really nice combo. The LF seems to defy conventional wisdom about the "tube sound." With the LF (using Siemens CCa tubes from the 60s), the HD800 sound very fast and analytical with deep, deep bass but something of a cold presentation. With my solid state Grace m903, on the other hand, the HD800 become noticeably warmer and even a bit mid-centric, with better bass quantity and a gentle treble roll-off that's welcome for some recordings and unwelcome for others.

To veer back to the thread title, the LCD-3 are also excellent with the Grace m903. I'm listening to Hope Dies Last by Winterlight at the moment, and the bass, treble, soundstage and imaging are all spot on. The LCD-3 seem a little bit less focused with the LF... but as mentioned above, that may just be the single malt talking.
beerchug.gif

Feb 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM Post #3,998 of 11,521
How resolving and transparent is the Grace compared to the LF?  I know the LF's sound so that would be a nice point of reference.

Feb 25, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #3,999 of 11,521

Quote:
How resolving and transparent is the Grace compared to the LF?  I know the LF's sound so that would be a nice point of reference.

Those two terms seem to have some degree of varying usage around here, but I'll try to answer your question in the way you ask it. Assuming you mean "transparent" in the way I understand it -- flat FR across all frequencies -- I find the Grace's headphone amp to be just slightly less resolving and less transparent than the LF.

Listening with the HD800, the Grace has a slight (really very slight, but noticeable) roll-off in the treble and a bit of a midrange bloom. It's pretty true in the bass. While these tonal qualities are noticeable, I don't find the Grace to be distractingly less resolving of detail... in some cases, the Grace comes across as more pleasantly musical than the LF (again, using the HD800 as a basis for this evaluation).

Meanwhile, I find the LF (with the three matched quads I've used so far) to be remarkably transparent in both the upper and lower frequencies, with a bit of midrange leanness that I might ascribe to tube choice and/or my own previous biases about "what a tube amp should sound like." While I'm sure there are better amps to be had, the Liquid Fire is unsurpassed in my personal experience in the area of resolution.

Complicating matters further, I've really only listened to the Liquid Fire so far using the m903 as a standalone DAC... except for vinyl and the occasional SACD.

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #4,001 of 11,521

Quote:
The first time i heard LCD 3 was by Stereo Shop in end of December 2011.

My first impression i have posted in  Cura Wong Thread , the sound was so muffeled or better veild.

Mid of January i have tried about 1 week by local Dealer in Indonesia , the LCD 3 sound Quality different like what i heard by Stereo Shop in Singapore.

After marathon listening i decided to buy LCD 3 , i am lucky i get the same like what i tried by Local Dealer In Indonesia , Sound Quality are very good.

Better separation and soundstage compare to my LCD 2 Rev 2.

Better layering compare to my LCD 2 Rev 2 also.

in this week end my friend want give his LCD 3 to me for comparison , because he feel his LCD 3 also veild or muffeled.

i will post the comoarison by monday with picture from the two LCD 3.

I have wrote email to Sankar from Audeze , he has not reply my email two days a go.

Tthis evening i got the LCD 3 from my friend with me.now i make comparison between two LCD 3.

Source : CD Player April Music Stello CDA 500

Music : CD " This is K2 HD Sound ! Various Artist " FIM K2 HD 078

Haedphone Amp : T + A Tube Pre Amp P 10.2 Germany

Headphone : LCD 3 A = my LCD 3 is newer 3 weeks a go , end Of January 20112
                   LCD 3 B = my friend LCD 3 older end of December 2011

Cable : ADZ 6
           RCA = ACR Reference II Silver    USA

High : my LCD 3 = A more open and extended
          his LCD 3 = B high is not so open and a bit roll off

Mid : my LCD 3 = more sweet and lush and clear and forward
        his LCD 3 = more laidback and not so sweet compare my LCD 3 = A

Bass : my LCD 3 = A more impact , clean and very low Bass
          his LCD 3 = B more in Mid Bass and Bass Quality not so clean like my LCD 2 Rev 2

Separation : my LCD 3 = A more detail and more volume compare his LCD 3 = B

Soundstage : my LCD 3 = A  more wide and has better layering in the Depth
                     his LCD 3 = B more or less like my LCD 2 Rev 2 is not so wide

Overall : His LCD 3 could be Veild product , sound is not so open and my LCD 3 = A  is louder  and clenar Sound Quality

He decided to send back to Audeze USA for repair or upgrade the driver.

My LCD 3 = A is on the right site
His LCD 3 = B is on the left   site

Dear Alex and Sankar from Audeze

Until now you have not answer my email regarding this veild issue.

Please advise which is your correct ones LCD 3 Sound Quality.( your Benchmark Sound Quality for your LCD 3 )

My Suggesdtion : Please make more Quality Control before you send to your Custumer , specaily your over sea Customer.

For the Fed Ex Shippimg we must pay $ 135 USD

We bought even more than $ 2000 USD plus Shipping to Indonesia

Thank you 

Best Regards

Rudi

Feb 25, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #4,002 of 11,521

Quote:

Tthis evening i got the LCD 3 from my friend with me.now i make comparison between two LCD 3.

his LCD 3 = B more in Mid Bass and Bass Quality not so clean like my LCD 2 Rev 2

Soundstage : my LCD 3 = A  more wide and has better layreing in the Depth

Overall : His LCD 3 could be Veild product , sound is not so open and my LCD 3 = A  is louder  and clenar Sound Quality

Please advise which is your correct ones LCD 3 Sound Quality.( your Benchmark Sound Quality for your LCD 3 )

My Suggesdtion : Please make more Quality Control before you send to your Custumer , specaily your over sea Customer.

Thank you 

Best Regards

Rudi

Nice write up, hope your friend gets a good copy

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #4,004 of 11,521

Quote:
I'm pretty happy with my LCD-3s so far. Will probably give the TP mod a try even though I believe my pair is not one of the veiled ones (do believe in the veil because I found that one of the local retailers here in Singapore had a veiled demo unit). I personally concur with much of Skylab's opinions on the LCD-3s, though I do find the Stax 007 mk2 to be an arguably better phone still with regards to certain technicalities such as transients. All in all though, very pleased. It's like the LCD-2 Rev 1 perfected :D

Quote:
Great to hear that you're satisfied with your LCD-3. I am too and am puzzled by all the talk about it sounding veiled. We should do a mini-meet in SG with anyone who owns a pair of LCD-3, just to  satisfy ourselves that our LCD-3s are not 'veiled'.

X2. I also enjoyed my LCD3 more than both R1 and R2 so I'm assuming mine isn't the veiled one. Then again you never know till you compare.

Feb 25, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #4,005 of 11,521

Quote:

Soundstage : my LCD 3 = A  more wide and has better layering in the Depth

Thank you 

Best Regards

Rudi

Did you notice if your friend's LCD-3 had a softer ear pads compared to yours? By the pictures it looks like it.
Did you check the density of the black foam in front of the drivers when looking down at the ear pads?

Thanks.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back