New ATH-PRO700mk2 - Audio Technica
Mar 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM Post #31 of 98
Hey guys, I just tested these headphones today (belonged to a friends) it was straight out of the box with no burn in so it sounded a bit muddy, but i have some input on the SQ and be willing to share it if people are curious. I compared this to an m50 that belonged to another friend, and here's what i think.

I've always found the m50s to be quite mellow, mids are pushed back, a pretty wide soundstage (as closed headphones go) and polite treble.

In my opinion the pro-700 mk2's are much different than the m50s. Mids and vocals were much more forward, it was much brighter, bass was relatively the same to me (i think it extended lower) and soundstage was more in your face.  Summing up, I would say this headphone's sq is quite similar to that of AKG K181dj, in fact I preffered it over the akg's and i might get them for my portable rig in the future.

Now, be aware that this is my input and im still a young, fresh headphone geek who just recently got into this hobby. So just try it out if yourself if your so curious 
tongue.gif

Oh and yes the clamping was insane, but it was right off the box and I'd expect it to get better. Also, the cups are small, I think they are supra-aural, but according to people listening to me listening to the phone (INCEPTION!) there was little, if any leakage. So yeah m50 takes the cake in comfort, but I got used to the my grados, I think I'll be fine adjusting to these. 

Mar 14, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #32 of 98
Wow, thanks a lot guys. It seems a lot of online stores are stocking these but those sites all look skecthy and not the real deal. (When you type these headphones on google, it will show you a list of stores). I was wondering if anyone knows a good site where I can order and ship to Canada.

I'm glad to hear that these headphones are much of an improvement as I can't find a place here in ontario to test them. Btw, was wondering if someone could play this over the headphones and could notice any difference with another headphone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0kGAz6HYM8

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #33 of 98
Also from Ontario. I ordered from adorama. Time is probably my favourite track on that OST... I listen to alot of OST and I would have to say that while the sound is more forward in the mk2 and recessed in the m50, it won't ever sound as good as it does on my ESW9. Even with the exceptional underlying bass definition, there's something about the mk2 that doesn't sit quite right with me when it plays soundtrack, instrumental, or acoustic tracks. The sounds is tight/clear and all. But the timbre of individual instruments aren't just what they are on the ESW9—i.e. with wooden headphones, trumpets and french horns sound brassy, oboes and bassoons sound characteristically reedy, and violins/cellos sounds very string-like. Don't get me wrong, the sound is still very good... I've just completely fallen for my wooden headphones :p. These differences are probably most evident with tracks like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_lBoa3tlZg

In retrospect, I went back and forth between M50 and MK2 ... and M50 just sounded kind of bland/laid back after awhile... must be some relativity bias.

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #34 of 98
hey calcifer

I think I'm either going to be getting the pro700mk2 or the sennheisers hd25 ii.  Sadly the headphone store i usually go to don't have a demo unit for the hd25 ii. Normally I'd just go with the pro700mk2 but I'm afraid that clamping will affect my long listening sessions. Also, from what I've gathered, it seems that grado lovers usually like the hd25 ii's.

So, really my question is, have you heard the hd25 ii's before and can you compare them to the pro700mk2's, are the highs grado lover worthy? Honestly, I love the sq on the pro700mk2 but its bulky and clamps hard, if I could just get that in the nice little packaging that is the hd25 ii's I'd gladly get em. 

Mar 15, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #35 of 98
I was wondering how big/small those earcups are? My friend has the Beats Solo (crappy i know)

and those earcups are small!!! How does this compare to those if anyone tried these on?

Thanks again!

Mar 16, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #36 of 98
I was wondering how big/small those earcups are? My friend has the Beats Solo (crappy i know)

and those earcups are small!!! How does this compare to those if anyone tried these on?

Thanks again!

Can't speak for the pro700, but my M50's (which are apparently very similar?) have much larger earcups, owing to the fact that they are circumaural (around-ear), as opposed to supra-aural (on-ear) like the beats.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:37 AM Post #37 of 98
Since the PRO700MK2 is very similar to the older PRO700 model, the cups are big, bigger than M50's, though could be more comfortable.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #38 of 98
M50s are more comfortable due to their ovular shape; for me they are fully circumaural. Pro700mk2, while larger in diameter, are barely circumaural as the padding does not extend much past the driver (whereas in the M50, the padding extends slightly in the axis of the headband). This, combined with the lower clamping pressure makes M50 more comfortable. However, on the upside, your pro700mk2 will never fall off your head should you decide to headbang.

Mar 16, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #39 of 98
Make no mistake, while the pads of the PRO700 aren't as tall, they are most certainly circumaural. And the pads can be replaced. What really kills it for me about the PRO700MK2 is the relatively high price that's being asked for them.

Mar 16, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #40 of 98
Never used the hd25-ii, but I have used my friend's grado's once... I can't quite remember the specifics though so hard to compare. With regard to clamping, after a couple of weeks, they loosen (you can put them on a stack of books if you dont want to clamp your head.

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #44 of 98
Seriously, why did such a review come out right at the time when I'm near getting a pair of Ultrasones Pro 900, the considered by many kings of bass? That's just mean...
frown.gif

Apr 5, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #45 of 98
Quote:
Seriously, why did such a review come out right at the time when I'm near getting a pair of Ultrasones Pro 900, the considered by many kings of bass? That's just mean...
frown.gif

I believe many consider the DX1000 the king of bass. But without spending over a grand, the Pro 900 is probably your next best bet.

These look intriguing though. Too bad nobody has them. I would love to see how these compare to like bass oriented headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back