New ATH-PRO700mk2 - Audio Technica
Apr 12, 2011 at 8:37 AM Post #76 of 98
I already had my mind more or less set on getting them, and that's what I will do, after going back and forth. At the end of the month I'm pulling the trigger
redface.gif

One thing I'm still thinking is that I'll be going from 53mm drivers to 40mm of the Pro 900, but since I already have a few 40mm headphones, that's not a problem.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:02 AM Post #77 of 98
I've had the pro700 mk2's for couple of months.  Can't complain about the sound - bass is awesome and can handle pretty much everything I throw at em.  I mainly listen through my Cowon so depending on what genre I listen to I adjust the eq settings accordingly.  Build quality is good and the headband is metal inside (thanks x-ray).  Initially comfort wasn't great but as time goes on and a little manipulation these aren't so bad...overall a nice set of cans.

Apr 30, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #78 of 98
So hows the sound quality compared to monitor headphones like the M50? I don't get why they would advertise this can with BOA, shes clearly singing with it which refers to that these headphones can be used for monitoring even though its mentioned for DJ, if not why the hell bother is she being endorsed with this headphone? I don't trust that one review where it says that thi

May 5, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #80 of 98
Quote:
So hows the sound quality compared to monitor headphones like the M50? I don't get why they would advertise this can with BOA, shes clearly singing with it which refers to that these headphones can be used for monitoring even though its mentioned for DJ, if not why the hell bother is she being endorsed with this headphone? I don't trust that one review where it says that thi

BOA has always been endorsing ATH products even in her CDs and MVs. She wears them, but she's not the Dr.Dre of ATH.

May 7, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #81 of 98
Well....Mk2....I just got one about a week ago...

Here is my quick review :p

Pro: Clear his, and clean bass.

Con: They hurt wearing them...lol...i guess it takes time to get use to.

Compared to:

Beats by Dre Studios.
The mk2 have much cleaner bass....not too powerful but clean crisp sounding.
The his on the studios are harsh...while the mk2 are more defined and gentle.

The Mk2 have waaaay better build quality then the studios (my earcup fell off). The mk2...is probably bass heavy....(even tho I really want more bass...as loud as the studios but clean). The mk2 does a pretty good job at making every sound spectrum defined.

So basically... I love my earphones...the only thing is the comfort..... but i guess i need to wear them for a while....

May 9, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #82 of 98
I have just pulled the trigger on these pro700mk2's.  They arrive this Thursday, and I will do an extensive review here and on Amazon with photos for sure.  I will audition them alongside my double cushioned M50's (basically Beyer leather pads attached to stock - incredibly increased comfort, more bass, biggest soundstage I've heard yet from a closed can), and my DT990 32ohm just for kicks :)

I will have them connected to a T-Mobile G2 with Poweramp as the music software and the JDS Labs Bass Boost CMoy v2.2.  Can't wait!

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:54 PM Post #84 of 98
I have owned the pro-700mk2s for over a year now and do not particularly like them.  The bass is absolutely superb and the general statistics are very good, but the panning (surround sound) is not as good as that of Sennheisers in the same price range, and the headphones themselves are not very well built.  They are extremely tight, and even with thicker m50 earpads they still become very uncomfortable after a few hours of use.  The plastic on the earpieces cracks easily, and the plethora of swiveling features are nice but also break easily.  They have great passive noise isolation, but that's probably because they're so brain-gushingly tight.  Honestly, if all you care about are looks and bass, and you have a small head, then these are perfect for you, but if you want a decent pare of cans then you should get Sennheisers or Shures.

ps and no they are not extremely bulky, and they fold up into a compact ball.

May 4, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #85 of 98
Hi there, Thought I would repost this for you all:

I have the old MK1 pro 700's and I like a lot of clamp force, a lot more then what they came with (I am a DJ). I bent the headphone band in a ridiculously overkill way (loop to loop... yes that far) and it worked fine, didn't hurt them one bit. You could easily do the reverse of what I did and bend in the reverse direction for less clamp. Actually doing what I did in reverse would probably be a lot safer than what I did to mine. They are so strong and stiff that a mild stretch such as putting them over a box will do nothing unless left there for a year, I would recommend stretching them relatively flat, in a straight line on a table. The plastic wont stretch but the headband portion will and is made up of very strong metal that will eventually bend, I will even post a pic of how much you can stretch these if your unconvinced.

These cans are the most durable headphone I have ever owned and after six years of use (listening to them now) they are still as great as ever. The headbands coating has mostly come off and the pads have been replaced with XB700 ones (improves bass response and extension ~10hz, comfort and increase isolation massively) The cord is still knot and stretch free after all this time of heavy use and this is honestly amaizing for a coiled one!

Oh and no cracks at all!

I am still using these to DJ with, after trying to upgrade many times and everything falls short, I only just heard there's a MK2. I love my pro 700's so much it might be time for a renewal/upgrade, I wonder what the differences are?

My experience with the Pro 700 are that they do bass very well and a bit colored/boosted in that way but for the rest of the frequencies they are fairly neutral. They are not super detailed or high definition like other reference headphones but they seam to give me a very full and rich sound that fills all the space in my head as opposed to an analytical separation found in other high end headphones. Yet there is still a clarity about them of which I can clearly hear the differences between MP3,320 vs flac vs 24bit 96khz. This though I think is a good thing, Its great to have both types of headphones.

If the mk2's give do the same sort of thing but with better detail I will definitely grab myself a pair.

Edit: wrong geadphones compared

I own the Shure 750DJ and its barely had 10 uses, There's just nothing special about it to me and the construction is so so much worse compared to the tank pro700. The cable especially could not be any more opposite to the build quality of the pro700's. Just put the 750 on my head now and wow.. yep selling these soon. soundstage is terrible (very boxy and dull), bass roll off is a lot higher in frequency and they seam very harsh to me. Its like there's a reasonable high and low pass filter on them along with some coloration in the mid/highs that makes them sound sharp to me.

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #86 of 98
i got mine and i used them for about 14 hours and they sound muddy,  my 20 dollars earphones sound more clear
frown.gif
do they need more time to burn in ?

im not happy i think im going to sell them , i  tried the M50 and they sound much better

Dec 2, 2012 at 12:24 PM Post #87 of 98
Quote:
I have owned the pro-700mk2s for over a year now and do not particularly like them.  The bass is absolutely superb and the general statistics are very good, but the panning (surround sound) is not as good as that of Sennheisers in the same price range, and the headphones themselves are not very well built.  They are extremely tight, and even with thicker m50 earpads they still become very uncomfortable after a few hours of use.  The plastic on the earpieces cracks easily, and the plethora of swiveling features are nice but also break easily.  They have great passive noise isolation, but that's probably because they're so brain-gushingly tight.  Honestly, if all you care about are looks and bass, and you have a small head, then these are perfect for you, but if you want a decent pare of cans then you should get Sennheisers or Shures.

ps and no they are not extremely bulky, and they fold up into a compact ball.

how long do they take for the headphones to burn in ? mine sound muddy after 17 hours or so

Dec 8, 2012 at 10:09 PM Post #90 of 98
I went to the Audio Technica warehouse sale today, bought a few things and the cashier somehow didn't charge me for my new ATH-PRO700MK2. Can't beat free! I think they sound great. I haven't heard the M50, but these don't seem to sound deficient in the highs or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back