New AT Portables: ATH-ES10 and ATH-WS70
Nov 16, 2009 at 6:38 AM Post #61 of 159
J-pop

Joyful Japan

Two more links; I'd love to hear a comparison betweem ES10 and the ESW10 because I would like to go for one of these two later next year if I can =D

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #62 of 159
dun worry, i get what you mean. I prefer the wood more then the metal. Cause metal like very common looking.

I think the housing play a part in a way that how it reflect the sound, and also the sound projection. that's why in most concert hall, they use wood as a material to build due to wood been a good source of music production.

The matt finishing is nice to touch seriously.

Nov 16, 2009 at 7:18 AM Post #63 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronald Lee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dun worry, i get what you mean. I prefer the wood more then the metal. Cause metal like very common looking.

I think the housing play a part in a way that how it reflect the sound, and also the sound projection. that's why in most concert hall, they use wood as a material to build due to wood been a good source of music production.

The matt finishing is nice to touch seriously.

yeah, thats my take on it as well. although I remember reading a thread about wood cups effect on sound and some disagree with any effect.

Nov 20, 2009 at 2:55 AM Post #66 of 159
I for one think wood finishes look terrible. Sure, it looks great on the table or on a headphone stand, but on your head? Yuck! Show some class.

I'll wear an ES10 over an ESW10JPN any day of the week if it came down to cosmetics (but fortunately sound plays a factor), just as I feel comfortable rocking the HF2s but would feel like a buffoon if I had RS1s in public.

Humans wear metal and alloy accessories like watches. Leather works, too (the ATH-L3000 is pretty stylish). There's a reason wooden watches never caught on.

But fortunately it's not about cosmetics.

Nov 20, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #67 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I for one think wood finishes look terrible. Sure, it looks great on the table or on a headphone stand, but on your head? Yuck! Show some class.

I'll wear an ES10 over an ESW10JPN any day of the week if it came down to cosmetics (but fortunately sound plays a factor), just as I feel comfortable rocking the HF2s but would feel like a buffoon if I had RS1s in public.

Humans wear metal and alloy accessories like watches. Leather works, too (the ATH-L3000 is pretty stylish). There's a reason wooden watches never caught on.

But fortunately it's not about cosmetics.

aut2_20.jpg

couldn't disagree with you more.....

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #68 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
couldn't disagree with you more.....

The right female could make the KSC75 look attractive.
wink.gif

Nov 20, 2009 at 4:58 AM Post #69 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The right female could make the KSC75 look attractive.
wink.gif

totally agree on that
icon10.gif

in all fairness this picture isn't a fair representation (the girl is too damn attractive)

you have some point on metal vs wood for jewelry but I guess for me it goes a little more than that. for one, when you do look at esw10s cups there's elegance and craftsmanship that is a pleasure to look at. the fact that its hand made lacquer, makes it feel looking at an art rather than just headphones.
but I think more than wood, its the lacquer that gives esw10's their character.

Nov 25, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #70 of 159
couldnt tell that much of a difference between the esw9 and the es10. the main difference seemed to be better noise isolation due to the different earpads. i think if you changed out the earpads on the esw9 it would definitely trump the es10. also, with the germania mod the esw9 is a totally different headphone.
it seemed like the soundstage was better on the esw9 whereas the bass was stronger on the es10 (prolly due to the isolation). otherwise, they sounded about the same to me. the w1000x was outstanding when i pressed the earcups against my head. but that was the problem. they wouldnt stay pressed against my head. they fit a little off and the sound quality suffered. i suggest saving your money and getting an ESW9 over the ES10. that's just me. the ESW9 brings a smile to my face.

i used a 5g ipod cryo lod to alo rx amp files varied from 256kb mp3-flac-wav

Nov 25, 2009 at 10:11 PM Post #72 of 159
Lolz, awesome avater there, Shingetsu.

Also, if those 'phones don't fit well, why not bend the headband a little? only on your own pair, of course, lol. I had to do so with my A2000X.

Nov 25, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #74 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by proteuskim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
couldnt tell that much of a difference between the esw9 and the es10. the main difference seemed to be better noise isolation due to the different earpads. i think if you changed out the earpads on the esw9 it would definitely trump the es10. also, with the germania mod the esw9 is a totally different headphone.
it seemed like the soundstage was better on the esw9 whereas the bass was stronger on the es10 (prolly due to the isolation). otherwise, they sounded about the same to me. the w1000x was outstanding when i pressed the earcups against my head. but that was the problem. they wouldnt stay pressed against my head. they fit a little off and the sound quality suffered. i suggest saving your money and getting an ESW9 over the ES10. that's just me. the ESW9 brings a smile to my face.

i used a 5g ipod cryo lod to alo rx amp files varied from 256kb mp3-flac-wav

eh? I didn't know the esw9's were more expensive than the es10's..I thought it was the other way around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back