New at Drop: Sennheiser HD 8XX
Mar 20, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #182 of 248
I'll be posting my written review within the next few days. I did what I could under the circumstances, so don't expect a masterpiece.

jurihan1.jpg

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #183 of 248
Hello Head-Fi!

We’re excited to announce a new Drop collaboration: the HD 8XX. This open-back audiophile headphone offers the same outstanding performance that made the original HD 800S the standard in high-end headphones: 56mm Ring Radiator transducers, carefully tuned Helmholtz resonators for a smooth high-frequency response, a vibration damping chassis and more—all with a sound signature and colorway tailored to the Drop community. The hand-made HD 8XX will include a detachable single-ended cable with 6.3mm (¼-inch) jack plug, and uses the same HD 800-series connector as the HD 800, HD 800S, and HD 820.

You can learn more about the HD 8XX exclusively at Drop here.

HD 8xx Header Image.png

• Drop + Sennheiser
  • Headphone type: Open-back
  • Ear coupling: Over-ear
  • Drivers: 56 mm ring radiator dynamic drivers
  • Impedance: 300 ohms
  • Frequency response: 4 Hz – 51,000 Hz (-10 dB)
  • THD: 0.02 % (1 kHz, 1 Vrms)
  • Contact pressure: ~ 3,4 N (± 0,3 N)
  • Weight (without cable): 11.6 oz (330 g)
  • Handmade at Sennheiser's headquarters
  • Launch pricing for the HD 8XX is $1100, plus you'll receive $200 worth of Drop points

We hope you enjoy our latest collaboration, and look forward to bringing it to your rigs.

HD 8xx Headband Detail.png
HD 8XX Detail.png
HD 8XX White Background.png
Head-Fi HD 8XX Measurements.png
Thanks to Head-Fi for producing a full suite of graphs, more viewable on Drop's product page.
what kind of material is the cable made out of?

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #188 of 248
no, sennheiser will not repair them. drop will only do warranty for a year i believe, and there is no way to buy an extended warranty or pay to get it fixed from either drop or senn.

I’m pretty sure they stated that Sennheiser would perform repairs for the two years of warranty. Drop sells the item, but Sennheiser services it.
Exactly, and Drop also offer extended warranty services if people are so inclined, but I'm not sure how cost-effective that is.

Hmmm, so if I buy a Senn 800s, and need drivers after the warranty is up, won't Sennheiser repair them?
Of course, and they'll do it for the HD8XX too, it's just a question of how much you'd want to pay for that sort of things, as I'd imagine it'd be a fairly hefty price tag.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #189 of 248
Exactly, and Drop also offer extended warranty services if people are so inclined, but I'm not sure how cost-effective that is.

Of course, and they'll do it for the HD8XX too, it's just a question of how much you'd want to pay for that sort of things, as I'd imagine it'd be a fairly hefty price tag.
first off, drop does usually have extended warranties, but not for this item. (unless they added it recently but it should say on the page "add extended warranty"), secondly sennheiser has said already that they will NOT service hd8XX. unless that's also changed recently.

Apr 19, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #190 of 248
first off, drop does usually have extended warranties, but not for this item. (unless they added it recently but it should say on the page "add extended warranty"), secondly sennheiser has said already that they will NOT service hd8XX. unless that's also changed recently.
Extended warranties have been mentioned as a possibility by Drop Support in the discussion threads on their site, as has the repair info.

In warranty: Drop handle CS, Sennheiser handle repair.
Out of warranty: Sennheiser will happily direct you to their local repairers.

Please stop suggesting that you can't get these repaired after 2 years.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #191 of 248
what kind of material is the cable made out of?
Same as the HD 800S, silver plated copper.

@les_garten Drop is handling warranty issues with swap/replacements. I’m not sure what the after warranty service will look like. If it’s worth anything, my HD 800 still work great after 6 years, no manufacturing defects, however I do need to get a new headband pad (and all the padding is consistent with the HD 800S).

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #192 of 248
Any ETA on these? production underways? I see the chief product officer saying that the november date is just a placeholder in the comment section on the drop page.

May 15, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #193 of 248
Production underways, but it’s possible that a large quantity of orders may get split into multiple shipments. Usually there are some parts that are fast to construct, and some others that take a little more time and care, and we have to wait a bit on those.

May 15, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #194 of 248
OK. Cool! I ordered immediately after they got listed.. probably one of the first orders. Hoping for a low serial number.

May 15, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #195 of 248
OK. Cool! I ordered immediately after they got listed.. probably one of the first orders. Hoping for a low serial number.
It’s ok if I’m a little jealous, right? Because I just bought a house (my first!), I am not able to participate.

Drop sent me the production tuned HD 8xx (the only one! I was honored... and very very careful), and I’m trying to sit myself down and write up an impressions comparison today with my HD 800. I had to send it back already, but I have a LOT of notes, listened to several familiar tracks and played a few games. Please understand... as a community manager sponsored by Sennheiser, and with everyone of course hungry for impressions, I want to be very careful to describe the experience so that people know what they are getting, and to describe what it is not, to help prevent overhype and returns.

SPOILER At this price, there has never been a better time to get a fresh, new HD 800 series headphone, and it is still the best at what it does but also still not a basshead headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back