New Apple IEM Review (feat. ER-6i)
Dec 30, 2008 at 5:40 AM Post #152 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak40ozKevin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JonathanJong is right on this matter guys. It's ****ing frustrating to read this thread. JonathanJong has been polite and courteous to you guys when he broke down his logic and reasoning behind his comparison.

I have a feeling there's only 2-3 people arguing against him because it's simply common sense to everyone else!

I'm sorry but you guys need to GTFO of the thread already jeezus.

What's so hard to understand about comparing something that you or I could buy right now for one price to another thing at a similar price that I could also buy right now? It would be one thing if the pricing on the er6i was a fluke and is normally sold at $150 everywhere but this isn't the case! The er6i is available from multiple places with renewing inventories at $50-80 dollars.

BTW the MSRP doesn't have to be a direct reflection of the materials, R&D, design, or whatever else that's put into it. The Bose example is completely valid.

Thanks for the review jonathanjong. I've been considering purchasing these for my gf later but now I'm looking at those shures as that is a fluke deal that shouldn't be passed up!

I agree with JonathanJong and just dont get what school of logic the others are using.

A person was referencing "a 2002 lexus vs newer camry" and stating that they are the same price now but you cannot compare them as the lexus is in a different class. Dude! the lexus would be the same price because it is used and has run for an "xxxx" number of miles.

If i had an option of buying a 2002 lexus brand new in 2008 with manufacturers warrenty for the price of a camry i would definitely consider it for comparison.

I am a relative newbie and have always used stock headphones but i have just bought the new apple-in ears to start with.

I did not open the package after seeing slightly negative reviews on this thread
biggrin.gif
. I am following this topic to see if a general consensus is reached as to their performance as i want to save on apple's restocking fee
redface.gif

But the thread has gone off topic ....i think we should get to reviewing the phones.
beerchug.gif

LOOSE or KEEP??

Dec 30, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #153 of 213
I got the ADDIEM bout 2 weeks ago. I liked them very much, for the stylist look (probably the best looking IEM out there), the functionality of the remote control (very responsive unlike UE vi line), and of course the SQ. The fit is superb. The bass is definitely sufficient, accurate, and punchy. The bass sounds very good especially when listening to progressive rock and prog metal. I used to wear them for 3,4 hour periods and my ears never hurt a single bit. I think for the $80 price tag they're good value. But I had to return them for a pair of SCL4 (the $80 deal) because my budget only allows one. If the Shure deal hadn't come along, I would have kept the ADDIEM for sure. Apple's return policy is 14 days. I returned it on the 14th day and wasn't charged a restocking fee
biggrin.gif
I think you should definitely give the ADDIEM a try.

p/S: Now I am gonna have to use the stock earbud with my iPhone until the Shure arrive in a couple weeks.

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #154 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey oarnura, have you tried different tips yet?

And Jonathan, any changes in impressions so far?

Sorry. Yes I tried my Jays D-Jay tips and Shure Silicone tips. The isolation improved and the sound did too. I noticed the biggest difference with the Shure tips. I didn't try the Shure Olives they would be a tough fit without mods.

You have to get the silicone shure tips in with a little effort but they fit.

Dec 30, 2008 at 4:47 PM Post #155 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I am gonna have to use the stock earbud with my iPhone until the Shure arrive in a couple weeks.

Do you have an actual guesstimated shipping date? I ordered mine on the 19th and the status just says "back ordered." Meanwhile, I'm happily trippin' with the W3 so I don't mind too much.
tongue.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #156 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have an actual guesstimated shipping date? I ordered mine on the 19th and the status just says "back ordered." Meanwhile, I'm happily trippin' with the W3 so I don't mind too much.
tongue.gif

Yeah, they did give me an actual guesstimated due day which is 01/12/09. I ordered these from music123.com on the 26th. I asked them if they would honor my order even if they run out of the SCL4. Here is what they had to say:
"I did overlook your order for you, and of course it will be honored by us, as soon as we receive it in our warehouse we will send it right out to you. As for the date 1/12/09, that is just an estimated date so it really just depends on if that is in fact when we receive them in our warehouse. But like i said when we do get them we will send it right out to you.
"
I don't mind waiting for two weeks, but I'm afraid that the more they make me wait the more I will expect from the SQ. That is to say I might be disappointed in the SQ. These'd better sound better than the ADDIEM. Otherwise I think I'm gonna have to jump off the bridge
o2smile.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #157 of 213
My SCL4 already shipped. It should be here sometime soon.

Then again, I got mine from GuitarCenter.com the day this deal started, so...YMMV.

Dec 31, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #158 of 213
Quote:

Yeah, they did give me an actual guesstimated due day which is 01/12/09. I ordered these from music123.com on the 26th. I asked them if they would honor my order even if they run out of the SCL4. Here is what they had to say:
"I did overlook your order for you, and of course it will be honored by us, as soon as we receive it in our warehouse we will send it right out to you. As for the date 1/12/09, that is just an estimated date so it really just depends on if that is in fact when we receive them in our warehouse. But like i said when we do get them we will send it right out to you.
"
I don't mind waiting for two weeks, but I'm afraid that the more they make me wait the more I will expect from the SQ. That is to say I might be disappointed in the SQ. These'd better sound better than the ADDIEM. Otherwise I think I'm gonna have to jump off the bridge
o2smile.gif

The SCL4 will sound better than the ADDIEM but not earth shatteringly so, especially driven from an iPhone. Drive them from a more powerful source (macbook pro in my case) and they sound much better.

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #159 of 213
Quote:

These'd better sound better than the ADDIEM. Otherwise I think I'm gonna have to jump off the bridge
o2smile.gif

Even if you hate them, you should have no trouble getting more than you paid for them. Given the shaky financials afoot in the world today even a slight return on an investment is something to behold. I should know. I own AIG, GM and Jennison stock.
redface.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #160 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My SCL4 already shipped. It should be here sometime soon.

Then again, I got mine from GuitarCenter.com the day this deal started, so...YMMV.

Oh how jealous of thee I am
biggrin.gif
. I bought them from music123 when the deal at GC wasn't available anymore. It seems to me that each dealer was allowed a fixed amount of these from Shure. I don't expect mine to be shipped for another two weeks or so. Please post your impressions when you get them so I won't be so depressed while waiting
L3000.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SCL4 will sound better than the ADDIEM but not earth shatteringly so, especially driven from an iPhone. Drive them from a more powerful source (macbook pro in my case) and they sound much better.

That's what I anticipated. I noticed the same thing with the ADDIEM. It sounded good with my iPhone, but significantly better with my Mac. I have a XMOD X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity external sound card from Creative for $25. Excellent piece of technology IMO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if you hate them, you should have no trouble getting more than you paid for them. Given the shaky financials afoot in the world today even a slight return on an investment is something to behold. I should know. I own AIG, GM and Jennison stock.
redface.gif

You know it best
happy_face1.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 11:23 PM Post #163 of 213
I just got a set of these today (they were impossible to find for the previous two weeks in the Colorado market, literally selling out minutes after the local stores got a shipment).

I have a set of SE530 that I really enjoy listening to, but I wanted something less expensive to use with my iPhone 3G that would allow me to pick up calls or change tracks while working around the house, etc.

Initial impression are that these Apple IEMs sound a bit wimpy, even compared to some Shure cx300s that I've been using as my beater headphones for the past few months.

They just don't have much presence, and sound a bit muffled to me. Initially I thought they were seriously lacking in the bass department but they do have a bit of punch to them after working on getting a good fit with them. Still not the smooth bass response I like for listening to rock/pop music.

I'm still debating on whether I should keep them. $80 isn't pocket change but I have wanted something more integrated with my iPhone and less risky to take everywhere than my SE530 set (which has already been replaced once due to a cord failure while still under warranty from Shure).

I've also noticed that these have gotten weak reviews across the board. iLounge gave them a B+ and I think CNET gave them about 3/5 stars.

Jan 1, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #164 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmpage2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a set of SE530 that I really enjoy listening to, but I wanted something less expensive to use with my iPhone 3G that would allow me to pick up calls or change tracks while working around the house, etc.

Well, they are a lot less expensive than your 530s and they do handle those iPhone functions. What was it you were looking for again?
tongue.gif

Actually, I like them and they don't seem wimpy to me, even when switching with my W3s or ER4s. I think for a relatively cheap, fun 'phone with iPhone/touch functionality they're hard to beat.

And . . . get ready for it . . . they're white!
popcorn.gif

Jan 1, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #165 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmpage2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They just don't have much presence, and sound a bit muffled to me. Initially I thought they were seriously lacking in the bass department but they do have a bit of punch to them after working on getting a good fit with them. Still not the smooth bass response I like for listening to rock/pop music.

The are a darker more laid back sound signature. Try your Shure Silicone tips on them and see if that improves them. I could get the Shure tips to fit from my SCL4 and that improved the seal for me. Its a little work to get them on but they will go in fine with a little effort.

Quote:

I've also noticed that these have gotten weak reviews across the board. iLounge gave them a B+ and I think CNET gave them about 3/5 stars.

Most of the negative reviews out of a whopping 11 user reviews from Cnet are fit related. One complained about microphonics.

Amazon with 12 reviews (including Spad's :wink: ) gave it 4/5

Cnet editors gave it an excellent rating.
Apple In-Ear headphones Headphone reviews - CNET Reviews
Cnet gave them 4/5 excellent
Apple In-Ear headphones Review on CNET.co.uk
Cnet UK gave them a 8.0 (excellent).
The Apple store site has 4/5 stars with 172 reviews.

To my ears and my wife's ears they are more refined that the NE-7M.

The Apple IEMs don't have a very aggressive sound signature. They need more volume on the player to level match them to other phones like the D-Jays and UE SF3.

Try the shure tip and see if that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back