New Apple IEM Review (feat. ER-6i)
Jan 1, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #166 of 213
oarnura,
Could you please do a comparison between the ADDIEM and the SCL4? How bout the bass on the SCL4? I found the bass on the ADDIEM to be fantastic.

Quote:

Actually, I like them and they don't seem wimpy to me, even when switching with my W3s or ER4s. I think for a relatively cheap, fun 'phone with iPhone/touch functionality they're hard to beat.

I would imagine so if I had the W3s and ER4s too
biggrin.gif

Quote:

And . . . get ready for it . . . they're white!

and THE most stylist IEM out there on the market yet IMHO.

Jan 1, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #167 of 213
Can anyone comment more extensively on the microphonic tendencies? I'd like a better set of phones that still control my phone, but I use it for walking to class every day, and if the microphonic is at all bad, I won't be able to use them. Thoughts?

Jan 2, 2009 at 12:11 AM Post #168 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oarnura,
Could you please do a comparison between the ADDIEM and the SCL4? How bout the bass on the SCL4? I found the bass on the ADDIEM to be fantastic.

The SCL4 might seem to have lower bass driven from an iPhone. But they are fairly close. I might give a very slight edge to the ADDIEM.

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #169 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SCL4 might seem to have lower bass driven from an iPhone. But they are fairly close. I might give a very slight edge to the ADDIEM.

Well then I don't see why so many people are complaining about the lack of bass on both the ADDIEM and SCL4.

Jan 3, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #170 of 213
@ oarnura

I'm glad that you've improved comfort and sound with shure tips. I had lot's of them (had two pairs of e2c and one of se530) so i believe i'll find the right one.

Jan 4, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #171 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Juaquin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone comment more extensively on the microphonic tendencies? I'd like a better set of phones that still control my phone, but I use it for walking to class every day, and if the microphonic is at all bad, I won't be able to use them. Thoughts?

I'm back! Heh.

The microphonics are bad. Very bad. Even with the small tips (and not-so-great fit), the cable-movement was very loud. A shirt-clip might help. Sadly, ADDIEM is not amenable for behind-ear wearing. It's that stupid long plastic bit that I'm sure serves some brilliant purpose. Similarly, chewing was amplified pretty bad. Footstep sounds weren't a problem with small tips, and neither was head movement. With the medium tips (and good fit, though it was hard to maintain a seal while walking fast), things got worse. Cable-movement and chewing noises were worse, footstep sounds were amplified. Head movement wasn't a problem still (as they were with my old CX300s). So...very microphonic. Worse than ER-6i, possibly as bad as CX300. Wouldn't recommend for walking around. Should be OK for buses and trains and such, but isolation really isn't awesome.

Anyone wanna chime in with notes about changing tips and its effect on microphonics?

Jan 4, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #172 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm back! Heh.

The microphonics are bad. Very bad. Even with the small tips (and not-so-great fit), the cable-movement was very loud. A shirt-clip might help. Sadly, ADDIEM is not amenable for behind-ear wearing. It's that stupid long plastic bit that I'm sure serves some brilliant purpose. Similarly, chewing was amplified pretty bad. Footstep sounds weren't a problem with small tips, and neither was head movement. With the medium tips (and good fit, though it was hard to maintain a seal while walking fast), things got worse. Cable-movement and chewing noises were worse, footstep sounds were amplified. Head movement wasn't a problem still (as they were with my old CX300s). So...very microphonic. Worse than ER-6i, possibly as bad as CX300. Wouldn't recommend for walking around. Should be OK for buses and trains and such, but isolation really isn't awesome.

Anyone wanna chime in with notes about changing tips and its effect on microphonics?

Hi all - I've been a lurker on Head-fi on and off (when I need to buy new headphones, that is
wink.gif
)

I bought the ADDIEM's recently, and wanted to both add to the discussion and ask a question or two of my own...

As a user with much different ear canals than JonathanJong (I use medium or large ADDIEM tips; they both fit equally well), I can attest to the VERY microphonic tendencies. They are present using ANY of the "stock" tips; small, med., or large. The only thing that improves the microphonics to ANY extent is adjusting the rectangular cord length adjuster (sorry for not knowing the proper term for the aforementioned doohickey) to be as high up, or tight, as possible.

Now, for my question...

I am very happy with the SQ, channel separation, and clarity of the ADDIEM's - Though I had a pair of UE 5pro's for quite a while, if my memory recalls correctly, these rival their quality closely.

However, does anyone believe there is a better alternative to them, PURELY based upon sound quality, clarity, and soundstage, in the same price range (Within $10-20; I am a poor student after all; and '08 was not a great year for my portfolio, to say the least...)

If it helps, an example of an album where I feel the ADDIEM's really shine (for comparison's sake), is Sting's mostly-live album All This Time. However, I listen to everything from Miles Davis and Brubeck to Air and Thievery Corporation to AC/DC and Wolfmother...

Thanks to you all, and here's hoping 2009 serves to be a better financial year to foster the $$$ I am sure to be burning though due to my visits here to head-fi
o2smile.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #173 of 213
Quote:

However, does anyone believe there is a better alternative to them, PURELY based upon sound quality, clarity, and soundstage, in the same price range (Within $10-20; I am a poor student after all; and '08 was not a great year for my portfolio, to say the least...)

MrEnygma,
I do believe there's better alternative to the ADDIEM. That's why I returned the ADDIEM after 2 weeks of using them even though I loved them as much as you do. I just thought that if these headphones could do such an amazing job then what could better 'phones do? So, I shell out some more bucks and got the Klipsch Custom 3s for $160 from Amazon.com (authorized dealer) after doing extensive research. Mine won't arrive until the 8th so I can't tell you anything yet. But here's a new review . You can also take a look at older reviews/impressions by using the search function.

P/S: No better you, I'm a poor college student too. I could never see myself spending $160 on a pair of headphones, but heck, if they can help me rediscover my music with unparalleled amount of joy/happiness/pleasure for the money then I would definitely do that even if that meant I had to stop going out for a month or two.
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #174 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by yakuzaph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MrEnygma,
I do believe there's better alternative to the ADDIEM. That's why I returned the ADDIEM after 2 weeks of using them even though I loved them as much as you do. I just thought that if these headphones could do such an amazing job then what could better 'phones do? So, I shell out some more bucks and got the Klipsch Custom 3s for $160 from Amazon.com (authorized dealer) after doing extensive research. Mine won't arrive until the 8th so I can't tell you anything yet. But here's a new review . You can also take a look at older reviews/impressions by using the search function.

P/S: No better you, I'm a poor college student too. I could never see myself spending $160 on a pair of headphones, but heck, if they can help me rediscover my music with unparalleled amount of joy/happiness/pleasure for the money then I would definitely do that even if that meant I had to stop going out for a month or two.
biggrin.gif

I wouldn't call the Klipsch Custom 3 an alternative to the ADDIEM. For one it is twice the price and second it offers none of the iphone functions.

I think the Etymotics HF2 would be the best bet if you want better audio quality at least from what I have read.

Jan 5, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #175 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEnygma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all - I've been a lurker on Head-fi on and off (when I need to buy new headphones, that is
wink.gif
)

I bought the ADDIEM's recently, and wanted to both add to the discussion and ask a question or two of my own...

As a user with much different ear canals than JonathanJong (I use medium or large ADDIEM tips; they both fit equally well), I can attest to the VERY microphonic tendencies. They are present using ANY of the "stock" tips; small, med., or large. The only thing that improves the microphonics to ANY extent is adjusting the rectangular cord length adjuster (sorry for not knowing the proper term for the aforementioned doohickey) to be as high up, or tight, as possible.

Now, for my question...

I am very happy with the SQ, channel separation, and clarity of the ADDIEM's - Though I had a pair of UE 5pro's for quite a while, if my memory recalls correctly, these rival their quality closely.

If it helps, an example of an album where I feel the ADDIEM's really shine (for comparison's sake), is Sting's mostly-live album All This Time. However, I listen to everything from Miles Davis and Brubeck to Air and Thievery Corporation to AC/DC and Wolfmother...

Thanks to you all, and here's hoping 2009 serves to be a better financial year to foster the $$$ I am sure to be burning though due to my visits here to head-fi
o2smile.gif

Your best bet is the White Shure SCL4 for $80. Get in on it at guitarcenter.com, musiciansfriend.com. Select the white one. Shure is discontinuing the white SCL4.

I had the ADDIEM and SCL4. The SCL4 is better. It is usually more than 2x the price of the ADDIEM so they compete more with the likes of the SF5pro.

So in terms of price you won't find a better deal than the SCL4.

Jan 5, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #176 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEnygma /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nuforce NE-7M

You can read an excellent review here
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...n-c700-383617/

At $49, its cheaper than ADDIEM
Amazon.com: NuForce NE-7M Stereo Earphones / Headset (iPhone Compatible): Electronics

Jan 5, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #177 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by kite7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nuforce NE-7M

You can read an excellent review here
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...n-c700-383617/

At $49, its cheaper than ADDIEM
Amazon.com: NuForce NE-7M Stereo Earphones / Headset (iPhone Compatible): Electronics

Purely based on sound quality and clarity, no. Ne-7m is a fun IEM but not the greatest in soundstage(wide but distorted) and tonal clarity(midrange sounds a bit off). The SCL4 is far better and the ADDIEM is closer to the SCL4 in tonal accuracy.

The NE-7m requires the T400 tips to sound good. Since the OP was using a UE SF5 Pro the SCL4 would be a better alternative.

I think the sonic characteristics I have an issue with on the NE-7M might be dynamic driver based. All the other IEMs I have experience with are BA based.

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #178 of 213
Tell that to Leroy Jenkems :p

Quote:

I got my SCL4 in yesterday and I was disappointed. They sounded lifeless compared to the NE-7M. The bass was anemic and I couldn't hear much difference in soundstage.

I'm pretty sure I got a good seal because I used to own Shure E2s before and I was accostomed to over the ear style IEMs.

Definitely says good things about the NE-7M

Jan 5, 2009 at 6:37 AM Post #179 of 213
beware of cheap Shure SCL4 and SCL3, theres planty of fakes out there... for the 80 buck mark, go for the d-jays, the V-Modas and i guess the S-jays will be worth some exploration once they come out,

Jan 5, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #180 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
beware of cheap Shure SCL4 and SCL3, theres planty of fakes out there... for the 80 buck mark, go for the d-jays, the V-Modas and i guess the S-jays will be worth some exploration once they come out,

Guitar Center is a reputable company. There is no need to be worried about fakes when buying from them.

In addition, Musician's Friend and Music123 are sister/subsidiary companies to Guitar Center (which is why they also have this deal).

"2000, it purchased mail order and Internet retail house Musician's Friend for $50 million, further consolidating its dominance over the sector, although Musician's Friend remains a wholly independent subsidiary; Robert Eastman remains as CEO and serves on the Guitar Center Board of Directors. Musician's Friend has increased in sales to over $350 million in the past 7 years."

"In February 2007, Musician's Friend purchased the Indiana-based company Woodwind & Brasswind (WWBW) after the latter declared bankruptcy. Musician's Friend's sister companies include GuitarCenter.com, Music 123, LMI, Lyons, Giardinelli, Musician.com, Private Reserve Guitars, Guitar Sale and Harmony Central."

Guitar Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back