New Apple IEM Review (feat. ER-6i)
Dec 16, 2008 at 10:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 213

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
My friend's new Apple IEMs arrived today, and I got to make comparisons on my iPod Touch (1st Gen.) with Etymotic ER-6is. I managed to listen briefly in a noisy restaurant and a relatively empty train, and had much more time in a quiet apartment. So far, I've had only 8 hours listening to these (0844, 18/12 NZ time). I might enjoy them more with more time with them, but I'm not sure why it'd affect more careful analysis. Here goes:

Case
The Apple IEM comes with a pretty, compact case. Some winding up is required (think, the Sennheiser MX 90 VC case, but easier to use, smaller, and prettier), which can be a pain. The size is a double-edged sword. It's small and therefore more portable, but you really can't fit anything else (e.g., spare tips) in there at all. There's a separate, cute case for the tips, oddly. It's a hard case too, which is good for protective purposes, but I'm guessing it's not going to be pretty for long. Scratches, here we come! Anyway, the C551 case still takes home the prize for me.

Form
It's pretty alright. Classic Apple minimalism: White body, translucent white silicon tips (more on which later), grey sleeve where the body meets the cable, and shiny metal driver. The metal bits are a nice touch indeed. One complaint: These IEMs have relatively long, plastic "arms", and these are bit of a pain especially when putting them on. Which leads us to the question of fit.

Fit
My friend and I both have minor fit issues with headphones. If it matters, we're both Chinese and have relatively small ear canals. I use the baby blue triflanges for my ER-6i, for example. He can barely get the stock Apple IEM medium tips in, and failed to achieve a good fit. I can insert the medium tips, but again could not achieve a good seal. So, we both went for the small tips. This worked better for me than for my friend, for some reason. Anyway, one problem I only detected this morning, is that even with a good seal, the Apple IEMs aren't very secure. They tend to move and threaten to fall out of my ears, and they actually do fall out of my friend's ears. Now, this might be a fact about our ears rather than a bug in the design of the IEM, but should serve as a warning to those with small ear canals.

Comfort and Isolation
The stock silicon sleeves are very soft and comfortable. Much better than either the stock Denon C551 or Sennheiser CX300/400/500 ones. They're also less noticeable than my ER-6i blue (small) triflanges, but it's slightly unfair to compare the two tips, really. Unfortunately, the new Apple IEMs don't isolate very well. At 50% volume, I couldn't hear much music at all in the restaurant. I had to crank it up for 75% to make the music acceptably audible, and not even 100% would block out all of the noise. In fact, at 100%, the combination of the music blasting in my ears and the restaurants' patrons' chattering was just...noisy and aggravating. In comparison, at 50% the ER-6i attenuated noise sufficiently for me to enjoy my music. Things were better in the train, but I still noticed train-related sounds (e.g., screeching, rumbling, whirring) at 50%, when the ER-6i got rid of these sounds by abou 30%. Finally, they totally blocked out my friend's voice (normal speaking volume, 2 metres away, quiet apartment) at 50%, playing the intro of Thrice's Firebreather.

Cable and Microphonics/Bone Conduction
The cable is nice and thick, and is amenable to being stuffed in pockets without tangling up. Much better than the ER-6i in this regard. However, they're microphonic as hell (more so than C551, perhaps even more so than CX300), and you will not want to eat anything with these IEMs on. I didn't hear my own footsteps or heartbeat though, thank goodness. It's just the cable (e.g., rustling against shirt) and sounds that come from the head (e.g., chewing, tapping forehead). Also, these are not amenable to being worn around the ear, so a shirt-clip might be the way to go. [NB: I hadn't realized tht the CX300s were notorious for microphonics. From memory, the Apple IEMs are worse. Even if my memory is off, they're at best no better than CX300. Might be a dealbreaker for some.]

Sound
I suppose this is what most of you care about. First, perhaps by virtue of their relatively poor isolation and shallowness in the ear canal, they were not as loud as the ER-6i. As such, I turned them up a little bit when making my comparisons lest I misinterpret "louder" as "better". For my review/comparison, I listened to 6 tracks. These aren't my usual test tracks, but I only have my iPod with me at the moment.
frown.gif

First, jazz. I played O Tannebaum (from the Charlie Brown Christmas album) and immediately discovered that the Apple IEMs were darker than the famously neutral ER-6is. So, these are slightly dark IEMs, people. Relative to ER-6i, the Apple IEM lacked detail and had a tiny soundstage. I'll chalk that up as a limitation of the Apple IEM: Small soundstage, poor imaging. From memory, even my C551 had a larger soundstage, or at least better imaging. If this is independent of being dark in general, it's worth mentioning that the ER-6i's highs (e.g., hi-hat) are much crisper and clearer than the Apple IEM's.

Next, classical. The only decently ripped files I had was Handel's Messiah (McCreesh). Naturally, I played the Hallelujah chorus. My impression that the Apple IEM has a dark sound signature was confirmed here. Again, the Apple lacked detail relative to the ER-6i, and had weaker highs. However, I think I enjoyed the Hallelujah chorus more with the Apple IEMs! It was just more exciting. Make of that what you will.

Third, I put on Trans-Siberian Orchestra's The Lost Christmas Eve (from album of same title). This is an acoustic-ish piece. Once again, the Apple IEM's weakness in detail was evidenced, especially in the higher notes. Ditto with its limitations in terms of soundstage and imaging.

Fourth, rock. I had Queen of the Winter Night (from the album above) and Thrice's Firebreather (from the Alchemy Index Vol. 1 & 2) on for these. Firebreather's on the metal side of rock. The only thing I have to add with these genres is, unfortunately, an ambivalent comment. With Firebreather, the Apple IEM delivered tight, punch bass, which I missed after selling my C551s. So, an upper hand over ER-6i. But with QotWN, I thought that the bass was boomier. Of course, the Apple IEM could just be revealing the low quality of the file or recording, which the ER-6i didn't because it provided attenuated bass. So, I'm not sure about this. I enjoyed the darker sound of the Apple IEM more for this genre of music, but when I put my ER-6i back on, I was pleased to hear the much improved detail these provided.

Lastly, not a music genre per se, but just listening to some female vocals (e.g., Diana Krall, Sarah McLachlan), the vocals were more...forward (?) than the ER-6i. Or conversely, the ER-6i had recessed vocals. I don't know how that translates to frequencies. Midrange?

Conclusions
The Apple IEMs aren't bad, they really aren't. They're slightly dark, can deliver good (both quality and quantity-wise) bass, and are fast and fun. On the downside, they don't isolate well, are microphonic, and are weak on the highs. They're less detailed than the ER-6i, but then the ER-6i are pretty darned good in the department. Remember, the ER-6i retails for $100, whereas the Apple IEM retails for $80 and come with an inline mic/volume control. (NB: Volume control does not seem to work with iPhone 3G and iPod Touch Gen 1.) I think the Apple IEM is a live option in the world of iPhone headphones. Etymotic's offering is much more expensive, for example. And the NuForce IEM might sound great, but if you're the kind of person who likes to keep the headphone white and pretty (and what's wrong with that?!) spending $80 on these ain't too shabby a decision. These aren't Skullcandys, nosiree. That said, none of us really buy headphones at MRSP, and unless the Apple IEMs are on sale, there might be other much better options especially if the mic/volume control is a non-issue.

Hope this helps.

Edit: New section on the case added.
Edit: New brief note on vocals added.
Edit: New section on fit added. Some notes on microphonics added.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:22 AM Post #2 of 213
Interesting. So the initial impression is that the $80 price tag is neither really high in value nor low in SQ?

Thanks for the impression btw.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #3 of 213
from what i understand from this review is
1)not as good with detail as the ER-6i, 2)does not isolate very well
3)makes me wonder why an outdated single armature headphone was chosen to go against it
4)its apple, so we can forgive it for being below avarage, its pretty and Master Jobs says its good,

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3)makes me wonder why an outdated single armature headphone was chosen to go against it

...maybe it is because ER6i is part of Jonathan on-the-go rig which he carries with him most of the time?
wink.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:12 PM Post #5 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
from what i understand from this review is
1)not as good with detail as the ER-6i, 2)does not isolate very well
4)its apple, so we can forgive it for being below avarage, its pretty and Master Jobs says its good,

I picked up from his review that it's not below average, but that it has a hard time competing with the top IEMs in its price range.

Dec 16, 2008 at 12:37 PM Post #6 of 213
Yeap, everyone's reading right so far: The Apple IEM's aren't over-priced at $80, but there are better IEMs to be had for slightly more (but most of these don't come with mics). There's even a better sounding option for less, but there might be reasons (e.g., aesthetic ones) for preferring the Apple IEMs.

On the subject of number of armatures. I don't see why I should compare two-armature IEMs with other two-armature IEMs. Why should armature count matter? Do consumers really care? Does anyone go out shopping for headphones thinking, "Hmm, I'd really rather have a dual armature IEM."?

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #7 of 213
Here is what consumers see:

Dual = 2 = 1 + 1
...It is like getting two headphones with the price of one, w00t!

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 213
that is what headfiers see as well. there are so many posts like, "how many drivers does it have"?

80$ and the mic etc: i think apple did things that no one even they expected: sold cheaply. do flanges and other earpieces from say er6 for instance fit the phone? id like to hear about its treble and stage when it has a good fit, if even possible.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #9 of 213
eh I can buy ER 6i's for $7x.xx all day long and when theyre on sale as low as $50. I doubt apple will have any price drops soon. Thanks for the review. I wonder if apple actually compares their own products to others....doubt it if they managed to make a dualdriver phone that in many ways loses to the four year old ER 6i.

Dec 16, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #10 of 213
How much break-in time did you give the Apple IEM? How many hours are on the er6i?

It seems that most reviews on Head-fi start with "I gave them x hours of burn-in" or "These have been burning-in for x hours".

I am not arguing that it would make a difference but I'd like to know.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh I can buy ER 6i's for $7x.xx all day long and when theyre on sale as low as $50. I doubt apple will have any price drops soon. Thanks for the review. I wonder if apple actually compares their own products to others....doubt it if they managed to make a dualdriver phone that in many ways loses to the four year old ER 6i.

The Er-6i retails for $149 the only reason you can get it for $7x.xx is because it has been out for 4 years.

You are really comparing a product designed to be sold at $149 vs one designed to be sold at $80 which offers mic and other controls for the price. The proper comparison would be an Hf2 vs the Apple IEM.

The question then becomes would you buy a HF2 over and er-6i at the current price of the hf2?

The Apple IEM is so new that you can't even buy it since every Apple store is out of stock. So you aren't going to find it for cheap. Simple supply and demand.

I ordered the Ne-7m and was hoping to pick up the Apple one to compare. I can't find it in stock at any Apple store in the SF bay area.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:13 PM Post #12 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that is what headfiers see as well. there are so many posts like, "how many drivers does it have"?

is this a bad thing? too many head fi'ers are convinced that it really does not matter how many drivers there are... but i just dont go with this, ofcourse it matters. more drivers usually equals better sound. even if the drivers are cheap and rubbish, 2 is better than 1 80% of the time. and for those that disagree how many examples would you like?... every single multi armature earphone IMO sounds better than single armatures in the same price range.

and for thos that are going to say the er4 is an example of a great single armature im sorry i dont agree. to be honest i think its extremely overrated and sounds pretty crap. especially against modern multi driver phones such as triple fi 10, se530, westone 3 etc etc. all of those mentioned offer a fuller sound and actually sounds like real musical instruments playing. i really do think the future is and always will involve multi driver phones, every year more examples are being released such as ue11, westone 3 etc.

i think 90% of head fi will be very suprised when etymotic's next ''big'' earphone turns out to be multi driver.
biggrin.gif
oh, sorry for the rant, its not aimed at anybody in particular so dont take offence
beerchug.gif
i just think too many head fi'ers are so hardcore they truely do believe the amount of drivers makes no difference, i just dont agree, i think its the most important part because the flaws single ''armatures'' have are really obvious and people choose to ignore them for some reason, bass for example...i mean come on, its not ''fast'' and ''accurate'' or ''tight''. how can it be fast and tight if you really have to listen carefully to hear it. this is where multi drivers come into it, they simply open up the leg room and make stronger bass and cleaner mids possible.

EDIT: i should point out i have no experience with westone 3, im basing that statement on the opinions i read which so far state it sounds full and have very smooth strong bass.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:33 PM Post #14 of 213
@ jinx20001: The Atrio M5 and Image X10 completely refute your points. In addition, the Etymotic HF5 has that "fast", "tight" bass you speak of, but I don't have to listen carefully for it. It may not hit as hard as the X10/M5, but it's absolutely more accurate and has a much better texture and sound to it than either of the above.

As for "the flaws single ''armatures'' have are really obvious and people choose to ignore them for some reason".....Multiple armature IEMs also have tons of problems, especially in their crossovers. A poorly built crossover matched to the best two or three armatures you can come up with will make an IEM sound like absolute junk.

When it comes to teamwork, even in electronics, you're only as strong as your weakest link.

Now, this isn't to say I don't like dual or triple armature IEMs. I do. However, the number of drivers doesn't matter at all. What matters is the freakin' sound coming out of the IEM. If it sucks, it sucks, no matter how many drivers are there.

Dec 16, 2008 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 213
yep armature, look at the size of it, its almost impossible to cram dual dynamic drivers in a small earphone housing, hence thats why it hasnt been done yet...or not that ive seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back