New Apple IEM Review (feat. ER-6i)
Dec 19, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #136 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From this, I'd give a resounding, "No." These might be the most microphonic IEMs I've heard, potentially even surpassing the CX300. If, like me, you find microphonic IEMs unacceptable for gym-work then the answer is "No."

I agree. The Apple IEM won't work in the gym. Besides from begin microphonic they don't isolate well so you would have to jack the volume up. The sound signature is too mellow for use when working out.

I would recommend the NE-7m for the sound signature you want in the gym. They are more "fun" sounding, aggressive, isolate better, not microphonic and cheaper. Since you won't be doing critical listening in the gym, the Ne-7m is perfect and the imaging flaws won't matter as much (since you are coming from high end Shures).

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #138 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's move on. Some people need rest, and I need my gin.

Cheers,
Red.

I agree, especially on the gin part
biggrin.gif

BTW John, did you tried them (Apple IEMs) with other tips to see if they isolate better and improve bass quantity?

Dec 19, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #139 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, especially on the gin part
biggrin.gif

BTW John, did you tried them (Apple IEMs) with other tips to see if they isolate better and improve bass quantity?

Even though you asked Jonathan I'll take a stab at answering.

There is more bass than the SCL4 but less than the NE-7m. They aren't bad at isolation but not the best either. I find that you need to turn the volume 1 notch above all the other IEMs I have even in quiet rooms.

They are good for the money for sure.

Dec 19, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #140 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even though you asked Jonathan I'll take a stab at answering.

There is more bass than the SCL4 but less than the NE-7m. They aren't bad at isolation but not the best either. I find that you need to turn the volume 1 notch above all the other IEMs I have even in quiet rooms.

They are good for the money for sure.

Yes i asked him because he didn't seem satisfied with bass quantity so i thought that different tips can improve that and isolation, but it wasn't meant only for him
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm glad that you said they have more bass than SCL4 since they didn't had enough for me when i tried them (it was a long time ago though and since then i've changed my sound signature preference). Since you have shures did you tried their tips on Apple IEMs? If they can't fit how about others you have? In a couple of cases, different tips made drastic changes in my experience.

BTW, i'm not asking questions because i don't know if i wanna buy 'em. I really like the looks,they have mic and volume controller, dual armature driver (not that the number of driver matters much but anyway....) and cost 79$; in my case 79€. I'll buy them as soon as they arrive at my local shop, but it's allways interesting to read others people experiences and then compare them to my own.

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #141 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by NajoBB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes i asked him because he didn't seem satisfied with bass quantity so i thought that different tips can improve that and isolation, but it wasn't meant only for him
smily_headphones1.gif

I thought he said he tried all the Apple tips but none worked for him.

Quote:

I'm glad that you said they have more bass than SCL4 since they didn't had enough for me when i tried them (it was a long time ago though and since then i've changed my sound signature preference). Since you have shures did you tried their tips on Apple IEMs? If they can't fit how about others you have? In a couple of cases, different tips made drastic changes in my experience.

I haven't tried any other tips with them. I'll do that and give you feedback. I have Shures, UE, Comply and Jays D-Jay tips. One of them is bound to fit.

Quote:

BTW, i'm not asking questions because i don't know if i wanna buy 'em. I really like the looks,they have mic and volume controller, dual armature driver (not that the number of driver matters much but anyway....) and cost 79$; in my case 79€. I'll buy them as soon as they arrive at my local shop, but it's allways interesting to read others people experiences and then compare them to my own.

No problem. I'll get you some feedback later. Most likely tomorrow.

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:14 PM Post #142 of 213
Quote:

I thought he said he tried all the Apple tips but none worked for him.

I was referring to different manufacturer tips for him as well.

Quote:

No problem. I'll get you some feedback later. Most likely tomorrow.

Will be appreciated.

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:42 PM Post #143 of 213
Quote:

I got to say even compared to the SCL4s the Apple's hold thier own. They have a little more bass and are much easier to listen too for long periods.

I am very impressed with the $80 Apple IEM. But I can only keep one so I must decide if it is the SCL4 or the Apple.

My Westone 3 should arrive in a couple of days, but I'm wondering if I should also grab an SCL4 at this price. Are they better enough compared to the Apple IEM to warrant having both in your opinion? There is no way I'll give up the Apples, but it seems kind of pointless for me to keep two if they're approximately equivalent.

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #144 of 213
@NajoBB: I think the Apple IEM's bass is fine. Certainly more satisfying than ER-6i. Less but, IIRC, cleaner than C551. None of the tips I have on me at the moment fit on the Apple IEMs so, no, I've not tried other tips. The stock tips are really comfy, though!

Dec 19, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #145 of 213
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Westone 3 should arrive in a couple of days, but I'm wondering if I should also grab an SCL4 at this price. Are they better enough compared to the Apple IEM to warrant having both in your opinion? There is no way I'll give up the Apples, but it seems kind of pointless for me to keep two if they're approximately equivalent.

I'd say don't bother with the SCL4 if you are getting the Westone 3 and are happy with the ADDIEM (Apple Dual-Driver IEM).

Dec 19, 2008 at 11:06 PM Post #146 of 213
@jonathan

I liked those "cleaner" and "comfy" parts. It seems that my local shop won't have them until next year (been there today) so I'll have to order via internet. I'll post my impressions here when they arrive and with various tips too since i have a lot of them just to check if some works better than those included. BTW never got to thank you for the impressions because i was concentrated to the discussion (bad manners). So...thanks.
smile.gif

@oarnura

Finally!
That Apple Dual-Driver IEM was waaaaay too long to write every time. From now on they're known as ADDIEM:the longest abbreviation in IEM world
biggrin.gif

Dec 20, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #149 of 213
Quote:

I'd say don't bother with the SCL4 if you are getting the Westone 3 and are happy with the ADDIEM (Apple Dual-Driver IEM).

I think I'll just buy them and if they're too close to the ADDIEM I'll just give them away. I'd like to try the Image X10 too, if I can find a deal somewhere.

Dec 20, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #150 of 213
Apple's new marketing campaign slogans for the ADDIEM below.

"ADD: The way the iPod generation listens to music."

"ADD: iWant To Listen To Something Else Now"

"ADD: iLookABird!"

"ADD: Because your music should be as scatterbrained as you are."

"ADD: Your music needs its daily dose of Ritalin too."

"ADD: We've doubled up on our drivers so you can double up on your attention span."

"ADD: You can't focus on any one thing, so why should we?"

"ADD: Can you repeat that?"

"ADD: My music is everywhere, just like me."

"ADD: Keeping your sound in focus, so you don't have to."

Okay, somewhat tasteless, I know (Hey, somebody had to do it since you called it the ADDIEM!). It's okay though, because anyone who's offended will probably feel the uncontrollable impulse to do something else by the time they hit the reply button. They might not even reach this paragraph.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back