New and Improved Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 v2.0 - Huge Sound in a Tiny Package.
Aug 1, 2008 at 7:17 AM Post #61 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrototypeX2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I believe they are just adding these new babies to the sf5 lineup. I doubt these will replace the 5Pros because they both have different appeals. But saying that these transcend the performance of the 5Pros...that is quite something for mass-orientated IEMs!
I will have to hear more about them before I buy them myself
very_evil_smiley.gif

This is what I figured
smily_headphones1.gif
- out of interest, because there are no SF5pro v SF5 pics - the SF5pro are the same size as the TripleFi10 yeah?

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:24 AM Post #62 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
P1010133.jpg

Is that white thing an amp??

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:42 AM Post #63 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by roxxor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that white thing an amp??

That's the FiiO E3 amp everybody is taking about at the portable headphone amp forum.

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #65 of 325
Hi Edwood, could you please compare these with the sleek audio sa6.

Are the sleeks worth the 26 usd price difference?

Aug 1, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #66 of 325
He did already compare them, and said he preferred the SF5 sound over the SA6. But, he added, that could be purely personal preference. I am not giving up the Sleeks, especially since the wireless option is around the corner. But it would be interesting to hear the new SF5. Howeever, even if they sound exactly the same, for the flexibility alone, I say the SA6s are easily worth the added $26, especially with the replaceable cable and the two-year warranty (the UEs only have one, and if the cable breaks, tough), not to mention the top-flight Sleek customer service.

Aug 1, 2008 at 9:42 PM Post #67 of 325
From the moment I saw the pictures, and then read this review today, I'd been intrigued. Sadly, the thin cable design + it being non-replaceable is a huge negative IMO since I've always had problems with UE cables. But hey, UE has the best customer service and I'm sure these new SF5 will satisfy lots of people.

Aug 2, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #68 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now backordered 21 days at Dealextreme. An unbelieveable value.

I got mine off the ebay seller apexauczone. I ordered the Super.fi 5 before the amp and the amp got to me the same day as the UE did.

The 5 with Comply's and FiiO amping has quite a punch. I am listening to my Sony minidisc and have the Bass on -2. Does add nice impact and texture to the bass and vocals. The amp does have some hiss w/o adding impedance.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #69 of 325
Not to bash the Sleek Audio SA6's, they sound great. They have better treble extension than the new Super.Fi 5's. But as with many things personal, the fit and comfort if what really kills it for the SA6's. They hurt my ears. I just can't stand biflanges. I think I'll mod one of my biflanges into a single. Although, as far as biflanges go, the Sleek Audio ones are the softest and comfortable (relatively speaking) biflanges out there.

-Ed

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:03 AM Post #70 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to bash the Sleek Audio SA6's, they sound great. They have better treble extension than the new Super.Fi 5's. But as with many things personal, the fit and comfort if what really kills it for the SA6's. They hurt my ears. I just can't stand biflanges. I think I'll mod one of my biflanges into a single. Although, as far as biflanges go, the Sleek Audio ones are the softest and comfortable (relatively speaking) biflanges out there.

-Ed

If the bi-flanges aren't that comfortable you should try something else like the Shure black olives, those are what I use and comfort is unparalleled.

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #72 of 325
Quote:

I got mine off the ebay seller apexauczone. I ordered the Super.fi 5 before the amp and the amp got to me the same day as the UE did.

The 5 with Comply's and FiiO amping has quite a punch. I am listening to my Sony minidisc and have the Bass on -2. Does add nice impact and texture to the bass and vocals. The amp does have some hiss w/o adding impedance.

Which Complys are you using, T500 or T400? Just curious. I thought you originally disliked the Complys that came with the SF5s. At the Comply site, they don't have the new SF5 listed for their UE foamies. Seems it has to be either the T400 or T500. I might pick up a pair of the UEs and have T400s on hand. I guess the ones that come with it will make it clear.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #73 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which Complys are you using, T500 or T400? Just curious. I thought you originally disliked the Complys that came with the SF5s. At the Comply site, they don't have the new SF5 listed for their UE foamies. Seems it has to be either the T400 or T500. I might pick up a pair of the UEs and have T400s on hand. I guess the ones that come with it will make it clear.

The T400 is the Comply tip that works with the new 5's.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #74 of 325
@Tstarn06. They don't have the 5 listed on the comply site yet. The SF4 takes the T400. They should be the T400 also. UE only gives the web address to order more. Two pair are included with the 5. Edit Michael beat me to it^.

@Edwood, you could take some size you don't use of Sleek or Shure tips and cut the stem off. Then put the stem on the SA6. Then the SF 5 tips will fit on the Sleeks. If you like how they work already, they should make the Sleeks fit the same way. Also, they are responsible for some of the soundstage. They may give the Sleeks the same boost that they do to the 5 due to their length. I think once Ed gets the Sleek comfort straight he might revise and say the Sleeks sound better.

Anyway, I went outdoors with them today and have to report that the 5 are one of the best for active stuff. The stock tips give great isolation and don't slide themselves out. The isolation is much better and keeps more sound quality. Walk by some landscapers with a 5 Pro or Triple.fi and with these and you'll hear the difference. You can't really use foams if you are gonna sweat. Also, much less bone conduction. Runners would love these. I can even shoot some hoops with them. No cable noise turning my head rapidly side to side and no unseating and losing seal like with the 5 pro. Zero time spent adjust the memory wire since there is none.

And with regards to the SQ. They have that good fun sound and some nice PRaT that helps motivate. The new Shures' are good with microphonics and bone conduction also but I just can't into them the same way for exercise.

Aug 2, 2008 at 6:22 PM Post #75 of 325
Quote:

@Tstarn06. They don't have the 5 listed on the comply site yet. The SF4 takes the T400. They should be the T400 also. UE only gives the web address to order more. Two pair are included with the 5. Edit Michael beat me to it^.

@Edwood, you could take some size you don't use of Sleek or Shure tips and cut the stem off. Then put the stem on the SA6. Then the SF 5 tips will fit on the Sleeks. If you like how they work already, they should make the Sleeks fit the same way. Also, they are responsible for some of the soundstage. They may give the Sleeks the same boost that they do to the 5 due to their length. I think once Ed gets the Sleek comfort straight he might revise and say the Sleeks sound better.

Anyway, I went outdoors with them today and have to report that the 5 are one of the best for active stuff. The stock tips give great isolation and don't slide themselves out. The isolation is much better and keeps more sound quality. Walk by some landscapers with a 5 Pro or Triple.fi and with these and you'll hear the difference. You can't really use foams if you are gonna sweat. Also, much less bone conduction. Runners would love these. I can even shoot some hoops with them. No cable noise turning my head rapidly side to side and no unseating and losing seal like with the 5 pro. Zero time spent adjust the memory wire since there is none.

And with regards to the SQ. They have that good fun sound and some nice PRaT that helps motivate. The new Shures' are good with microphonics and bone conduction also but I just can't into them the same way for exercise.

Yeah, I'm going to see if I can get the Shure Black Olive Foamies to fit the Sleek SA6's. I don't like Comply's, they seal my ears poorly, and I have pretty small ear canals, I imagine the Comply's are meant for toddlers or something? The Comply's are just not dense enough either to make enough isolation.

It's really unlikely that changing different ear tips is going to give the SA6's more Detail than the new SF5, though.
wink.gif

But I'd really like the SA6's to be more comfortable to wear for me, as when the wireless adapter comes out, they will be getting a lot more listening time on a daily basis in my home.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back