New and Improved Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 v2.0 - Huge Sound in a Tiny Package.
Jul 31, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #46 of 325
I got mine today. Haven't had too much time with them though. I might say that they are the pick of the 5/5 Pro/5 EB litter.

I think they have a nice large soundstage. I would say fourth largest image I have heard. Nice balance overall. Even freq balance and extended nicely(and evenly) on both ends. Not ER4S or Triple.fi extension but maybe a shade below an SE420.

The looks/size comfort/isolation/microphonics are all much improved and quite welcome. The fit, isolation, and SQ all remind me of the SE420 with a tad more speed and a bit less detail and transparency. Clarity is very close and a strong point for the 5.

I like the improvement with the S-adapter(unamped so far). This with a little more treble EQ'd to them is pretty damn close to a Triple.fi. It might fall slightly short of that but for about $200 and better looks and more isolation and comfort, I can see that combo as a popular alternative. Don't have the Triples myself anymore to actually A/B them though.

Hey, Ed, try the old standard UE single flange on them. They lose some soundstage but the bass is worth hearing. I am off to try the UE bi flanges on them.

The reason they don't come with bi-flanges must be the tremendous 15mm length from end of tip to the beginning of the earphone shell. The tips are also longer being only 3mm shorter than a UE bi-flange is.

Also, the free T-shirt and free shipping weren't such a bad deal either. Not too long ago, UE wanted $14.50 to ship me a custom cable so it wasn't a half bad deal at all.

And there is some more confirmation how good the PL30 are as they can run with the 5 quite well. Quite different though. At $40 the Soundmagic offer more bang for the buck in SQ and comfort. I still recommend them as well for a budget phone if you like a darker sound.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #47 of 325
I'll also add where they cut costs to lower the price.

Cheaper packaging
Case is a bit cheaper than I thought. More usable though, IMO.
Only a cleaning tool. No adapters or attenuator.
No replaceable cable.
One year warranty instead of two.

I'm glad they did it that way and offered a good sounding and seemingly well made phone. They did include two pair of Comply's and an extra medium set of normal flanges in place of the bi-flange. So they do come with an extra set of tips than before.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:49 AM Post #48 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I somewhat doubt these will have superior SQ when compared to the SA6's.

I have them both and I find the new SF5 to have better SQ than the SA6. Who knows, maybe you'll hear something different if you had them both to listen to.

However, the SA6 is going to have a killer accessory that the SF5 can't possibly have without voiding it's warranty.
wink.gif

-Ed

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:54 AM Post #49 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by robojack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I somewhat doubt these will have superior SQ when compared to the SA6's.

Agree, but I may be in the market for a backup IEM. No doubt the Sleeks will be more to my preference, but trying new phones is always fun, as you can see from my sig. Though lately I've been content with the SA6s.

Jul 31, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #52 of 325
as good as the triples?

this i must hear for myself!

Jul 31, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #54 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got mine today. Haven't had too much time with them though. I might say that they are the pick of the 5/5 Pro/5 EB litter.

I think they have a nice large soundstage. I would say fourth largest image I have heard. Nice balance overall. Even freq balance and extended nicely(and evenly) on both ends. Not ER4S or Triple.fi extension but maybe a shade below an SE420.

The looks/size comfort/isolation/microphonics are all much improved and quite welcome. The fit, isolation, and SQ all remind me of the SE420 with a tad more speed and a bit less detail and transparency. Clarity is very close and a strong point for the 5.

I like the improvement with the S-adapter(unamped so far). This with a little more treble EQ'd to them is pretty damn close to a Triple.fi. It might fall slightly short of that but for about $200 and better looks and more isolation and comfort, I can see that combo as a popular alternative. Don't have the Triples myself anymore to actually A/B them though.

Hey, Ed, try the old standard UE single flange on them. They lose some soundstage but the bass is worth hearing. I am off to try the UE bi flanges on them.

The reason they don't come with bi-flanges must be the tremendous 15mm length from end of tip to the beginning of the earphone shell. The tips are also longer being only 3mm shorter than a UE bi-flange is.

Also, the free T-shirt and free shipping weren't such a bad deal either. Not too long ago, UE wanted $14.50 to ship me a custom cable so it wasn't a half bad deal at all.

And there is some more confirmation how good the PL30 are as they can run with the 5 quite well. Quite different though. At $40 the Soundmagic offer more bang for the buck in SQ and comfort. I still recommend them as well for a budget phone if you like a darker sound.

I'm sorry to keep asking for comparisons, but what do think of these compared with the er-4ps that you have? They're a similar price now, I think.

Jul 31, 2008 at 10:09 AM Post #55 of 325
Wow, nice review Edwood,

Super Fi 5 Pro is a little out of my league (sub $200 player). So I'm very interested in the Super Fi 5.

Have tried the Super Fi 5 Pro before, and loved it. In comparison with Super Fi 5 Pro, what does the Super Fi 5 lacked, in terms of sound signature?

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:11 AM Post #56 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akabeth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edwood, do you have a rough comparison with these and the SE530 in mind?

I don't have much of a collection with iem's/earbuds, but I do have a friend upstairs that have a SE530.

Thanks for the write-up btw
smily_headphones1.gif

Akabeth, I have the SE530s and the SF5 will be arriving today. I would be able to give a first impression tonight.

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #57 of 325
So are they going to phase out the 5Pro's? Because they're still on the website and it doesn't show them getting rid of them anytime soon?

That and they share so much in common with the Fi 4's that it makes sense to have a more consumer friendly line under the Pro/EB (although..... pricewise... it's a bit odd I guess?)

Jul 31, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #58 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by PooJou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are they going to phase out the 5Pro's? Because they're still on the website and it doesn't show them getting rid of them anytime soon?

That and they share so much in common with the Fi 4's that it makes sense to have a more consumer friendly line under the Pro/EB (although..... pricewise... it's a bit odd I guess?)

I believe they are just adding these new babies to the sf5 lineup. I doubt these will replace the 5Pros because they both have different appeals. But saying that these transcend the performance of the 5Pros...that is quite something for mass-orientated IEMs!
I will have to hear more about them before I buy them myself
very_evil_smiley.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 1:22 AM Post #59 of 325
I took a few quick pics. A bit dark; tried to get away without the flash inside.

P1010135.jpg

Ed showed some pics versus other phones that some people have. I took this for to show the size against something more everyday.

P1010133.jpg

Not half bad for under $300 and very portable.

P1010137.jpg

Next to the PL30. Notice the difference in barrel lengths.

I see a lot of how the 5 has to be worse than other 5 series phones. I don't think it is that simple. Jerry Harvey is gone and it seems a new time for UE. They have been reworking from the ground up, expanding the Metro line, the SF 4 and now the SF 5. New designs and a bit different sound. Both the phones worth mentioning so far, the 4 and 5 are balanced. It looks like they will keep the same sound signature and improve on each new one. Of course smaller, sleek designs with better comfort and isolation is a real nice change. The old ones were all different signatures as well as different levels of SQ. I, personally, wanted more of the SF 3 in the 5 Pro but, though better, it was different. The mids dropped too back far in the mix, the separation was diminished too much for my tastes, and the clarity only remained about equal. The 5 is just what I was looking for back then.

After spending some time with the 5, I have found what I really like about it. It has no flaws worth mentioning. It is just not the best at anything but it does everything pretty darn well. An Ety can lack some soundstage and be microphonic or lack impact. A Shure can be rolled off or a tick slow or lack depth. Older UE's can have fit issues or recessed mids or stiff cables etc.

The 5 though not the best at any one thing does well across the board. Not one thing I feel I have a right to complain about at the price. Looks, fit/comfort, function, detail, depth, soundstage, balance, extension, speed/PRaT, decay, size, build quality(yet TBD though). I don't think that there will be some nagging thing that will make me think of selling it off in two or three months.

I think me and Edwood are a good start on the impressions of this phone. He has more phones on hand to compare which is good. I have a current strategy that I will mention later so I don't have any high end earphones at present but the 5 is my 5th UE phone and I am well familiar with them.

I think we will hear a more consistent opinion for the most part with those who purchase one since it is a single driver. The multiple driver phones with crossovers tend to have some more difference in performance and opinion. The UM2 who some claim it to be the best ever or even not as good as a 1st generation V-moda Vibe. Or the SE420. A somewhat picky phone that also varies in performance. I remember posting in Spryos' thread telling him to skip it based on his likes and sources and such. He bought one and was less than pleased with it. Still, I purchased one a bit after since I knew it would work for me. It was a great purchase for me.

Still, I'm sure that we will hear some people like it or that some think that a 5 Pro or E4C or something else is better. Ed likes it better than the SA6. I don't know if I would feel that way as I haven't heard the SA6. I would place it in between the 5 pro and SE420 for unamped performance. The SE420 is a tick too slow for me and lacks a bit of depth. So, the SE420 can out detail and out resolve and be more transparent then the 5. It is also a slight bit more extended. But, I would choose the 5 since it is close enough on the other counts but adds the speed, PRat, and depth lacking in the SE420. I would say that I prefer it to the Triple.fi and ER4S. Less technically superior but do beat them in some areas. I believe Ed said the same. I do use the impedance adapter to get more refinement and close the difference with the high end a bit. More than fair as it works for the Ety(and others)and the 5's big brother has a couple extra drivers.

So, the 5 is part of my current plan. Instead of buying a Westone 3 or Triple.fi or such for $330- $400, I am buying the 5, The Crossroads HR-1, and the FiiO E3. Two phones and a usable/small enough amp for about $350 total. A few people who sampled the HR-1 say they prefer it to the PK1. If it performs on that level it is up there with the best. Plus the 5 with my S-adapter and the amp is right up there vs. the best w/o amp. I can substitute the PK1's if I choose also. I would then have both an isolating and open solution that are both on the high end for less than I paid for the Triple.fi alone. I am a UE fan and did do my research. Maybe I did get a bit lucky but I did feel confident that the 5 was gonna be good enough for the isolating part of my planned combo. I am interested to hear about Edwoods' decision to purchase the 5 seeing what he already owns and how many others(with reason) felt it was nothing to get excited about. I do think it is something to get excited about. If not for the 5 itself then for what will be coming in the future from UE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back