New and Improved Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 v2.0 - Huge Sound in a Tiny Package.
Jul 30, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #16 of 325
Elmer has posted 18,000+ times...could this be true. Wow. Gotta believe him!!!

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #17 of 325
There are three Super.fi 5 now: the old 5pro, 5EB, and the new 5. I don't think we need to rename any one of them cause it is quite obvious to me as neither is intended to replace the others as the only one in the family.

Nice review.

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:52 AM Post #18 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by Usagi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now you have my attention. If you will, please explain some strengths the Super-fi 5 v2.00000~ has over the Triple-fi. Does this indicate that the new triple-fi could also receive some sonic tweaks?

Much larger soundstage. A little clearer instrument detail and separation. But overall texture and detail, (especially high and low frequency) is still better with the Triple.Fi. Also, the Triple.Fi is generally a more "exciting" listening experience, as it has more dynamics.

Did I mention the huge soundstage?
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Jul 30, 2008 at 1:58 AM Post #19 of 325
So I guess the top-fire transducer really does its job well as UE describes it to be. I think I'll put it down in my audition list for the next visit to a shop.

Jul 30, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #21 of 325
that is a huge change in design, I wonder if they will do a new TF.10 Revision?

Jul 30, 2008 at 3:58 AM Post #23 of 325
Ed... Is the plug straight or L-shaped?

Jul 30, 2008 at 5:56 AM Post #26 of 325
Quote:

Originally Posted by LogicalDisconnect /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, Ed. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. One question though - your pictures show an SA6, so can you compare its sound quality with the new SF5?

The new Super.Fi 5 sounds better overall as far as frequency response and detail are concerned. The soundstage and imaging is pretty different, so it can boil down to personal preference on that one.

The Soundstage is much wider and upfront (like you are almost up on the stage) with the Super.Fi 5. With the SA6, it's further back.

Detail-wise, the Super.Fi 5 has more clarity and instrument separation is significantly clearer.

One thing going for the SA6 is you can customize the sound to your liking, like changing the treble and bass amounts. But you cannot change the quality.

-Ed

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #27 of 325
Hey Ed,
Could you comment a little on the isolation with these? And how do they pair up directly with a portable source(H-120)? I think the resistance is rather too low(13ohms), which may reveal too much electrical noises. And I know you mentioned a bit on the cables, but how long do you expect them to last? I hope they don't mirror the infamous Sony EX cables.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:31 AM Post #28 of 325
you should take a few pictures while wearing em.. i heard they can be worn in two styles.. over the ears and normal way right?

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:00 AM Post #30 of 325
Oh man, I hope they don't upgrade the triple.fi. More money to spend, and the loss of selling the old version will take a big price hit.
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back