New amp from JDS Labs
May 18, 2011 at 1:23 PM Post #18 of 54
Great guys over there at JDS Labs. This looks like a quality piece of gear from them as usual. Can't wait for listening impressions to start showing up.

Jack

May 18, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #19 of 54
Jun 11, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #20 of 54
Nice! Triple ground means that it will have separate ground per channel and 1 global ground. It guess the channel ground (noisy one) will be filtered to ensure the signal integrity.
Dual channels means it will use 2 completely separate channel (2 opamps).

Quote:
Triple ground, dual channels - that's a little out of my very limited understanding on EE. But cmoyBB is one of the most impressive cmoy I have ever heard and I am sure this one will be equally impressive. Looking forward for the day of release :)

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #22 of 54
Triple grounds would normally indicate separate grounds for each opamp channel. However, that's impossible without XLR connectors, as the ground of the L and R signals are joined in 1/8" and 1/4" stereo cables.

To clear up the non-standard terminology used in the blog article, C421 uses an active ground configuration. The innovation is in the power circuitry. We're using successive references in the power stage to accomplish two tasks:

1) Minimize noise

2) Allow the amplifier to be used while charging from USB

This information has been added to the announcement.

The first C421 prototype enclosure is scheduled to arrive in 5 days. It's a crude plastic model intended to verify fit, so we probably will not post pictures until the aluminum cases arrive.

Quote:
Nice! Triple ground means that it will have separate ground per channel and 1 global ground. It guess the channel ground (noisy one) will be filtered to ensure the signal integrity.
Dual channels means it will use 2 completely separate channel (2 opamps).

Plenty! C421 supplies 14V to the opamps. Not a power measurement, I know...

Quote:
How much power, I wonder?

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #24 of 54
Thanks for clarifying this. I thought you invented something new with separate grounds for each opamps :wink:. I'm really looking forward on your C421.

Quote:
Triple grounds would normally indicate separate grounds for each opamp channel. However, that's impossible without XLR connectors, as the ground of the L and R signals are joined in 1/8" and 1/4" stereo cables.

To clear up the non-standard terminology used in the blog article, C421 uses an active ground configuration. The innovation is in the power circuitry. We're using successive references in the power stage to accomplish two tasks:

1) Minimize noise

2) Allow the amplifier to be used while charging from USB

This information has been added to the announcement.

The first C421 prototype enclosure is scheduled to arrive in 5 days. It's a crude plastic model intended to verify fit, so we probably will not post pictures until the aluminum cases arrive.

Plenty! C421 supplies 14V to the opamps. Not a power measurement, I know...

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #25 of 54
I'm glad to see other designers employing the "slim" topography in their new designs! Man ... can't tell you how pleased I was to move from the typical "brick" designs that I've used in the past to the Arrow amp that is my current go-to kit. What a difference in portability! 

If this is reasonably priced, I'll most likely get one to compare with the Arrow ... 

Looking good!

.j

Jun 23, 2011 at 5:26 PM Post #26 of 54
I'm really wanting one of those CmoyBBs but am kinda strapped for cash, will get one soon though. Hopefully those modded ones that JDS is selling on eBay won't all be gone by the beginning of July

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:34 AM Post #27 of 54
Is the active balanced ground similar to the Stepdance?
BTW, the CmoyBB is a great little amp with no noise at all with my ES3X.
I think I like it more than the Headsix.

Jun 24, 2011 at 1:49 AM Post #28 of 54

Quote:
Is the active balanced ground similar to the Stepdance?
BTW, the CmoyBB is a great little amp with no noise at all with my ES3X.
I think I like it more than the Headsix.

It is active ground, not active balanced ground.

Jun 29, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #29 of 54
The cMoyBB will stick around.

Working with aluminum extrusion shops has taken 2 weeks longer than anticipated, as we've only found three manufacturers capable of producing the case. I expect to give the go-ahead for a pre-production batch this week.

Quote:
I'm really wanting one of those CmoyBBs but am kinda strapped for cash, will get one soon though. Hopefully those modded ones that JDS is selling on eBay won't all be gone by the beginning of July

Users who are viewing this thread

Back