New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Dec 30, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #2,761 of 2,818
imo mini and glitemk2 work really well with dynamics and not plannars. For plannars you go straight to CFA3. GSX mk2 is not a bad compromise if money is tight.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:47 AM Post #2,762 of 2,818
I like the GS-X Mini with planar headphones, tried with various Abyss models and the T+A Solitaire P.
The amplifier has a nice warmth and weighted sounded to it. It's the cheapest audio component I own, and haven't had an itch to upgrade it.

I mainly listen to pop music though, where sound stage and impact matter less. So your mileage may vary.
What I look for in audio playback is mainly a sound that has some weight/power in it. Pretty much the opposite sound of what Bluetooth headphones like the AirPods Max sound like. Bluetooth headphones always sound to me like they are being held back.

Then you also have these great measuring amplifiers at a low cost, which do have power, but sound off sterile to me.

More controversial, but when I upgraded my DAC to the Rockna WaveLight, the enjoyment factor also went up.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #2,763 of 2,818
I like the GS-X Mini with planar headphones, tried with various Abyss models and the T+A Solitaire P.
The amplifier has a nice warmth and weighted sounded to it. It's the cheapest audio component I own, and haven't had an itch to upgrade it.

I mainly listen to pop music though, where sound stage and impact matter less. So your mileage may vary.
What I look for in audio playback is mainly a sound that has some weight/power in it. Pretty much the opposite sound of what Bluetooth headphones like the AirPods Max sound like. Bluetooth headphones always sound to me like they are being held back.

Then you also have these great measuring amplifiers at a low cost, which do have power, but sound off sterile to me.

More controversial, but when I upgraded my DAC to the Rockna WaveLight, the enjoyment factor also went up.
Having owned the Benchmark HPA4 twice and AHB2 once, I can confirm your statement about great measuring amplifiers sounding off or sterile to you.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:38 AM Post #2,764 of 2,818
By the way, I have a GSX Mini I'm willing to part with if anyone is interested. PM me.

Jan 10, 2024 at 5:22 PM Post #2,765 of 2,818
Read several times throughout these pages that the Susvara doesn't pair well with the GS-X Mini. Surprisingly, doing a side by side with a Cayin HA-6A (with upgraded tubes), I'd say the sound quality is relatively close. The GS-X Mini is near max volume and it loud enough for me (and I like high deafening volume). The Cayin HA-6A has more headroom for sure though

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #2,766 of 2,818
Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on the Mini with planars… has anyone tried the GS-X mkii with them? It’s supposed to be more dynamic and neutral, from what I’ve heard.

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #2,767 of 2,818
Seems to be a lot of mixed opinions on the Mini with planars… has anyone tried the GS-X mkii with them? It’s supposed to be more dynamic and neutral, from what I’ve heard.
Do you mean hard to-drive planars? Mini powers many planars very, very well. Not going to give you what you need for Susvara, 1266, etc.

Your description of MKII is fairly accurate. But if you’re buying new, you’d probably want to hold out for the new CFA3 from HeadAmp: https://www.headamp.com/products/headamp-cfa3

Jan 19, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #2,768 of 2,818

For me, the GS-X Mini was phenomenal with Planars, one of the better SS amps for them, especially considering the form factor. The amp has serious power in high-gain.

This goes for 1266 TC, as well. Drove them with authority and plenty of head room on high-gain with balanced output.

Jan 19, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #2,769 of 2,818
For me, the GS-X Mini was phenomenal with Planars, one of the better SS amps for them, especially considering the form factor. The amp has serious power in high-gain.

This goes for 1266 TC, as well. Drove them with authority and plenty of head room on high-gain with balanced output.
The Mini was phenomenal with my HEKS.
So was the mk2. Yes, it was more dynamic but also a touch bright and shrill. Not to mention the volume pot. The DACT drove me nuts.
I would take the Mini over the MK2 in a second.

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #2,770 of 2,818

One of the best matches that I have heard and owned, period, is GS-X Mini and Rosson Audio RAD-0 !! [Unfortunately, the RAD-0 discomfort was 😖 and the headband 'mod' had not yet come out. RAD-0 / GSX-mini 🕊...]

Jan 20, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #2,771 of 2,818
One of the best matches that I have heard and owned, period, is GS-X Mini and Rosson Audio RAD-0 !! [Unfortunately, the RAD-0 discomfort was 😖 and the headband 'mod' had not yet come out. RAD-0 / GSX-mini 🕊...]

Can confirm this was an amazing combo! Definitely miss it.

So good, I actually owned the RAD twice. Sold it for the obvious reason, missed the synergy with this combo, bought it again, sold it again for the same obvious reason LOL.

Jan 20, 2024 at 1:08 AM Post #2,772 of 2,818
Now if there were a way to meld RAD-0 earcups / drivers / gimbal rods with ZMF headbands .... 🥲 ☁️☁️🌈 ....

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #2,773 of 2,818
Do you mean hard to-drive planars? Mini powers many planars very, very well. Not going to give you what you need for Susvara, 1266, etc.
I have the mini in power amp version without a pot. It drivers 1266 excellently and for the most part on low gain. It’s a great pairing, 1266 is really a hit and mostly miss on most amps for me

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:16 AM Post #2,774 of 2,818
I have the mini in power amp version without a pot. It drivers 1266 excellently and for the most part on low gain. It’s a great pairing, 1266 is really a hit and mostly miss on most amps for me
Ah that’s good to know

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #2,775 of 2,818
Good to know annoy the mini driving planars. I could have been more specific in my question - I recently acquired the Calderas and plan to move away from my tube amp, which doesn’t do them justice (but it sure makes the VOs sing!). What I’m looking for is something that synergizes with the Caldera (primary importance), which is amp picky, and ZMF DDs (I’ll probably keep the Auteurs; but this is of secondary importance). I’ve been considering a few amps, including the GSXs, Ferrum Oor, and Violectric V550. The last two are reported to work very well the Calderas, but I haven’t heard much at all about the GSXs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back