New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Mar 7, 2024 at 9:53 PM Post #2,792 of 2,819
Is this a good amp to pair with Chord Qutest & Diana V2?
I can’t speak for the Diana, but I have mine paired with the Qutest and HD800S. It sounds fantastic.

Mar 7, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #2,795 of 2,819
I have but they aren’t pairing it with the Qutest— which I believe might be a touch on the bright side
I haven’t found it to be so, but no Abyss headphones yet. Just some ZMF and LCD-X. I did start using the warm filter after some head to head comparisons to R2R DACs though.

Mar 7, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #2,797 of 2,819
How does it compare to R2R or more modern DACs?
Qutest is my favorite so far. I have some tube gear and stuff like the Mini that are supposed to be just the warm side of neutral. I think the Qutest has a little more detail and sparkle up top, but never considered it to have any glare or sharpness with the incisive filter. It was only months later when directly comparing to a tube output R2R (definitely not modern, using an NOS R2R chip), MHDT Labs Orchid that I first noticed anything even marginally objectionable on a single track that the Orchid must have smoothed out. That’s when I tried the warm filter and it went away. Haven’t looked back. Even though it hasn’t had an update in a few years, I still think of the Qutest as modern. Watch a few videos explaining some of the inner workings and how they approach DA conversion. Even the objectivist types don’t have much negative to say about it. The one drawback some point out is that it only has SE output, but if you’re running it into something like the Mini that isn’t a real issue. I don’t take advantage of the power output the Mini has, but I imagine it’ll perform respectably with anything I’m interested in. The Modhouse Tungsten I have my doubts about, but I also don’t listen all that loud anymore.

Mar 10, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #2,798 of 2,819
Listening to my Qutest and GS-X Mini right now for the first time using Abyss Diana V2. Sounds good via Tidal over USB, didn't expect to use the high-gain with the Diana v2 but it was necessary running the Qutest at 2v. It sounds the slightest bit clinical, even with the warm filter. I suspect I will need some adjustments. I will report back later :)

Mar 13, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #2,799 of 2,819
Update: I have 12 hours of listing "factory configured" with stock power cable on the GS-X Mini (stepped), stock USB Chord Qutest, using the Diana and Tidal as the source (tidal control DAC/ No normalization of the volume) via Qutest USB and 16 hours of listening using Audio Quest Cinnamon USB on the Qutest, Shunyata Venom power cable on the GS-X Mini, Supra interlinks. I am formerly a profession audio engineer, but I dislike "technical" listening with equipment like this. I'll give you my impressions as a hobbiest audiophile. I realize both of these pieces of gear have been on the market for some time and have been analyzed completely. I disagree with the conclusions of some of the more popular reviews of the Qutest and GS-X Mini, so I wanted to add my opinion for anyone who is considering the GS-X Mini with a Chord DAC.

Standard configuration: Qutest + GS-X Mini + Abyss Diana: I tend to listen a little on the "loud" side with planars and with the Dianas using 1V from the Qutest I was 4-5 steps above 50% very comfortably, after adjusting to the level I moved up 2 clicks which left me around 80% of the total volume range. At this point I zeroed everything out, move the GS-X Mini over to High-Gain, and made adjustments from there. I heard no audible difference in the noise floor in High-Gain which was a plus, I felt there was more “energy” although I did feel I was missing some of the dynamics I experienced in low-gain. At this point, I reset everything again and adjusted the Qutest to 2V using the GS-X Mini in low-gain mode. For me, this was the sweet spot, and how I currently have this setup configured.

Standard Sound impressions: I found this combination in its standard configuration to sound moderately resolving and leaning warm, there’s no double the GS-X Mini has the “Class A” sound, and I see why people love this amp. I heard sweet midrange, I found the low end lacking authority but bass was “present”, across multiple genres (EDM, Synth Pop, Metal) this combo sounded to me as though it was smearing the mid-high range which gave me the impression it was veiled slightly, although there were moments where the top end “sparkled” with these selections of music, which was pleasing. Overall, I felt with EDM and tracks with hard biting synths or metal with heavily layered vocals, guitar and drums the sound stage was very narrow and the overall presentation very “rounded off”.

With classical, classical guitar and percussion heavy orchestral music this combination was superb, not the best I have heard but punching way above its price point. With rock, pop and folk tracks where the vocals are forward in the mix and most present, again the Qutest with GS-X Mini shined— Texture and clarity in vocal tone and pitch were controlled and detailed without sounding artificial or sibilant in any way.

Sample tracks used, if you’re following along (I felt these tracks REALLY pushed this combo to reveal itself):

Electronic/EDM:
One Night/All Night - Justice
Alive - Deadmau5
Swoon - The Chemical Brothers
Go - The Chemical Brothers
Wild Orchids - LSDream
Lone Wolf - Zomboy
Black Swan - Thom Yorke

Jazz/Misc.Instrumental:
Yellow Spot on the Sun - Gordon Grdina, Gary Peacock & Paul Motian
Marche Funèbre Del Signore Maestro Contrapuncto In C Minor, K. 453a - Eliot Fisk
Storm Corrosion - Storm Corrosion

Vocal Featured:
Look on Down From the Bridge - Mazzy Star
Nothing’s Free - Angel Olsen
Sugar for the Pill - Slowdive
Think I’m in Love - Spiritualized
Mercy Street (2012 Remaster) - Peter Gabriel

Metal:
Against - Sepultura
Garden in the Bones - Periphery
Heaven’s Call - Harms Way
Evil - Mercyful Fate

During my initial listen, it was very apparent to me that both of these units would benefit from a better power source and better cables. Regardless of how you may feel about “audiophile grade” cables, in my experience I do notice a difference and in this case the difference was so substantial I feel anyone who reviewed these units out of the box would benefit from revisiting them using at a minimum, premium shielded power cables and a mid-range HiFi USB cable.

Upgraded configuration: Tidal > Audio Quest Carbon USB > Qutest (green filter) 2V > Supra PPSL RCA Interlinks > GS-X Mini (Shunyata Powered) > Balanced XLR - Abyss Diana v2

Note: The Qutest will sound even better with a 5V Linear Power Supply. For now it is directly fed to a Sine Wave UPS on Battery.

Upgraded Sound Impressions:
Qutest: Wow did the bass and low end really fill-out, The Qutest is sounding more resolving and spacious, with more attitude and authority. EDM tracks that were lacking filled out and are very energetic and pleasing, without being fatiguing or sibilant. Dynamics are improved, separation is improved and where faster multi-layer tracks once were slightly smeared, there’s more control and contrast. Much improved and I see no reason to upgrade this DAC with this system.

GS-X Mini: Bass extension is greatly improved, background feels blacker and has unreal depth. Overall it is sounding more “holographic” like a tube amp but driving like a Class A should, very musical — The presentation is more emotional and I feel the amp really came to life, even at lower listening levels. Soundstage is slightly wider, but imaging is more precise and keeps instruments focused (and close). Mid range is sounding “cleaner” while also sounding slightly sweeter, complimenting Diana v2 well.

Diana V2: I’ll keep this brief since the GS-X Mini is the focus here. The Diana V2 is one of my favorite headphones of all time, some of the tuning criticisms are accurate and this headphone does benefit from the bass ported pads. While it’s nowhere near as resolving as the AB1266 or Diana Phi, it is much more synergistic with common equipment and to me sounds much more enjoyable with slight coloration and less analytical. The Qutest and GS-X Mini in the upgraded configuration is the best I have heard Diana, absolutely complimentary to its strengths and forgiving of its shortcomings. Excellent pairing.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #2,800 of 2,819
I like everything about GS-X mini but its volume control. I do not think it is precise enough. My DAC have more precise volume control (it can also works as a preamp).
In my case, can I ban volume control in GS-X and use my DAC? If so, how to set?

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:45 AM Post #2,801 of 2,819
I like everything about GS-X mini but its volume control. I do not think it is precise enough. My DAC have more precise volume control (it can also works as a preamp).
In my case, can I ban volume control in GS-X and use my DAC? If so, how to set?
The base model with the Alps potentiometer has fine volume control, very smooth and precise. You may be thinking of the DACT stepped attenuator that is an option. It only has 24 steps that some people don’t like.
I have a DAC with remote volume control that I’ve used with the Mini. I set the volume of the Mini just slightly higher than I want to listen with the DAC turned up full. That way the DAC doesn’t need to attenuate too much, but if a quiet track comes in I can still turn it up a little. There is also a switch to select between headphone or pre amp output. The Mini works well as a pre. That same DAC with volume control doesn’t sound nearly as good directly into a power amp as it does using the Mini in between.

Mar 19, 2024 at 8:36 AM Post #2,802 of 2,819
Hi folks quick question:
Who is still using the gs-x mini as his daily driver?

My impression is that a lot of people who have posted earlier in this thread have, according to their signatures, moved on to other amps.
I am considering to buy this amp and now I am asking myself a bit why is that so or is maybe my impression not adequate?

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #2,803 of 2,819
Hi folks quick question:

My impression is that a lot of people who have posted earlier in this thread have, according to their signatures, moved on to other amps.
I am considering to buy this amp and now I am asking myself a bit why is that so or is maybe my impression not adequate?

I suspect it's because many folks in this community like to change gear periodically, just for the sake of trying new stuff. Half the fun is just trying something different now and then.

That's been the case for me. I had been using the gsx-mini exclusively for a couple years, loved it, but recently switched to an OTL amp as a daily. Still have the mini as my solid state, but not seeing much use recently.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #2,804 of 2,819
Hi folks quick question:

I am, for my listening preference I see no reason to buy another amp other than to drive more demanding planar magnetics or to abandon class A for tubes. The amp truly benefits from cable upgrades and power source, see my review above.

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #2,805 of 2,819
Yeah I had it and I loved it. But like someone mentioned earlier, half the fun is trying new stuff. It's a wonderful amplifier and it's one of the amplifiers I missed the most in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back