New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Oct 18, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #2,716 of 2,818
fyi

Only protected payment methods are allowed
Please only offer, request, or send payments via protected methods like PayPal Goods and Services. Head-Fi no longer requires that PayPal fees be included in the asking price, provided a protected payment method like PayPal Goods and Services is used.

Payment via unprotected methods like PayPal Friends and Family, Zelle, wire, money order, bank transfer, etc is strictly forbidden. Offering, requesting, or requiring unprotected payment methods may result in edited or removed listings and a suspension or ban from Head-Fi Classifieds.
@Andrew Rieger @kajetanjazz
Its very frustrating how non uniformly this rule is enforced. My last couple classifieds that I said I would take a lower price if paid for by PP F&F (a couple years ago now prior to ever being warned) were reported and I got a warning, yet multiple classifieds postings go unreported (to this very day, multiple times per day) without being reported. It would be nice if head-fi would more routinely and accurately enforce this classifieds rule across the board to all users rather than just if an individual post is reported by someone with a grudge against a different poster.

I now always include shipping and PP fees in my asking prices on Head-fi to conform to the rules. However, for sellers this is problematic as if they don't want to take a big hit to the amount they net out at, they have to bump their asking price, leading to much less interest overall. Pretty frustrating to be honest, and makes selling on canuckaudiomart and usaudiomart much more attractive, but there is much more specific headphone related interest here on HF.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #2,717 of 2,818
However, for sellers this is problematic as if they don't want to take a big hit to the amount they net out at, they have to bump their asking price, leading to much less interest overall
Completely true. Head-fi just wants to have their hands clean with the rules and in regards to becoming a victim of fraud. Can’t fault them for that. However most of the transactions go with f&f amongst verified users with regular feedback. Though that’s the buyer’s responsibility to decide what’s safe

Oct 29, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #2,718 of 2,818
The Mini is such a great pairing with the HEK V2 Stealth. The clarity, detail and openness with very expansive soundstage is quite impressive. Midrange is incredibly lush, especially for SS. Very articulate in the bass with plenty of weight/oomph.
IMG_20231028_191321574_HDR.jpg

Oct 29, 2023 at 6:23 PM Post #2,719 of 2,818
I thought the GS-X mini had narrow staging for amp in this price range. That's not necessarily my opinion, but I keep reading/hearing that.

After seeing pics in here, I kind of wish I got one of those fun colors now though, mine is just plain black.

Oct 29, 2023 at 6:33 PM Post #2,720 of 2,818
I thought the GS-X mini had narrow staging for amp in this price range. That's not necessarily my opinion, but I keep reading/hearing that.

After seeing pics in here, I kind of wish I got one of those fun colors now though, mine is just plain black.
I think the VERY expansive soundstage of the HEK V2 Stealth headphone is contributing to that. It's the only headphone I had on the Mini so I can't necessarily say that the Mini itself has a wide stage. I was just reporting on the sound I'm getting as of right now.

Oct 29, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #2,721 of 2,818
All my other components are black or dark grey with the exception of one tube amp for speakers with a silver face. I made myself get the satin red anyway, mostly because I saw more than one person voice your exact regret. People have been known to buy another face plate and swap it out. If it really bothers you, drop an email to HeadAmp.

Nov 11, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #2,723 of 2,818
would the GSX Mini be silent enough for an IEM like the JH Roxannes? want a desktop amp that can handle IEMs.

This one has low output impedance, stepped volume control (good channel matching). Power seems a bit much, but I wonder what the results would be from a Schiit bitfrost in SE to GSX Mini in SE and use the SE out.

Has anyone here ever used such a combo?

Nov 11, 2023 at 12:38 PM Post #2,724 of 2,818
I’ve used the SE and Balanced out with my Sennheiser IE900. It sounds fantastic

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #2,725 of 2,818
would the GSX Mini be silent enough for an IEM like the JH Roxannes? want a desktop amp that can handle IEMs.

This one has low output impedance, stepped volume control (good channel matching). Power seems a bit much, but I wonder what the results would be from a Schiit bitfrost in SE to GSX Mini in SE and use the SE out.

Has anyone here ever used such a combo?
I used mine with Campfire Solaris. While it sounded very good, there was too much noise for it to be listenable without using Ifi’s IEMatch. Less sensitive IEMs would do better, I think. If IEMs are a major component of your listening, and you don’t have a note preferred way of listening to them, I would shy away from Mini. I definitely preferred listening to my IEMs direct from Chord Hugo 2 over the Mini.

Nov 20, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #2,726 of 2,818
I was lucky enough to chance upon a second hand set for the gsx mini for a good price at my region and tested some headphones with it.

On general I find they work great on my dca stealth and abyss Diana. It didn’t work well with the Susvara.

I like how it renders vocals, very smooth and enjoyable.

Nov 20, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #2,727 of 2,818
I was lucky enough to chance upon a second hand set for the gsx mini for a good price at my region and tested some headphones with it.

On general I find they work great on my dca stealth and abyss Diana. It didn’t work well with the Susvara.

I like how it renders vocals, very smooth and enjoyable.
What are the differences in comparison with Topping A70 Pro?

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #2,728 of 2,818
What are the differences in comparison with Topping A70 Pro?
Clarity the a70 pro is better
bass the gsx mini has more but rounder
Vocals gsx mini is thicker and spreads alittle wider
A70pro vocals are also a touch more airy
Gsx mini is a touch more forward in the mids
Sound stage gsx mini is wider but height is a touch lesser
The above applies to most headphones I tried except Susvara from what I tested. A70pro can do Susvara while gsx mini can’t. Gsx mini becomes alittle too rounded/sloppy for me if used with the susvara

Nov 20, 2023 at 6:51 PM Post #2,729 of 2,818
Clarity the a70 pro is better
bass the gsx mini has more but rounder
Vocals gsx mini is thicker and spreads alittle wider
A70pro vocals are also a touch more airy
Gsx mini is a touch more forward in the mids
Sound stage gsx mini is wider but height is a touch lesser
The above applies to most headphones I tried except Susvara from what I tested. A70pro can do Susvara while gsx mini can’t. Gsx mini becomes alittle too rounded/sloppy for me if used with the susvara
That’s a useful rundown. How do you compare the Mini to the Ferrum stack?

Nov 20, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #2,730 of 2,818
That’s a useful rundown. How do you compare the Mini to the Ferrum stack?
Hmmm.

Ferrum has a smaller width to sound stage but has significantly more height
Vocals wise, ferrum is more powerful and airy while GSX mini is thick and lush. Similar smoothness
Bass quantity is similar but ferrum has more control.
GSX mini is warm sounding but ferrum is more neutral (A70pro is more cool/clinical)
GSX mini has a touch more forward mids compared to ferrum (similar to comparing to a70pro)
Clarity wise ferrum is better.
Enjoyment wise both are similar
Similar to the a70pro I spoke on, this applies to most headphones I tried except Susvara.

It looks similar to when I compare to a70pro, but that amp has a way lower enjoyment factor for me unless you are into clinical sound.

I did a video review for amping susvara, but don't think its appropriate in this thread.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back