New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Oct 14, 2023 at 10:15 AM Post #2,701 of 2,819
I recently bot a Schiit Yggdrasil LiM dac to go with my GSX Mini and driving my LCD-4z (with the new style pads from Audeze, helps fix the mids suck-out problem) it sounds beyond incredible. I know the CFA3 would just be tits, but I figure that my Mini and LiM are just totally getting the job done. Someday would love to acquire a KG CFA3 from Headamp, but what I have could be rationally considered end-game for me. Very happy with this setup now. I would like to someday listen to a ZMF Atrium on this chain. Wonder if the CFA3 would be able to drive some speakers also?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #2,702 of 2,819
After A LOT of listening there was a clear winner.
The Metrum Onyx with the GSX mini just sounds so much more enjoyable and sounds so much more to my liking. This is so damn good.
Are you using low or high gain on the GSX? Is one better than the other for you or just the same?

Oct 15, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #2,703 of 2,819
Are you using low or high gain on the GSX? Is one better than the other for you or just the same?
To me, they are the same. To be honest, my interest in finding out was so small that I only gave it a quick 60 second comparison. I keep it on low only because it gives me more adjustability/range on volume control.

Oct 15, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #2,704 of 2,819
To me, they are the same. To be honest, my interest in finding out was so small that I only gave it a quick 60 second comparison. I keep it on low only because it gives me more adjustability/range on volume control.
I wish I could remember the review I read that noted a difference. The reviewer even talked with the manufacturer about the nature of the circuit, and it seemed to back up their perception for technical reasons they never really divulged (or I glossed over). It was a bit of a tangent. High gain was their preference, but it was minor, and I’ve never been able to discern a difference myself. I don’t have any headphones that require high gain, and I’m usually lazy enough to just use a remote to adjust the volume with my DAC.

Oct 15, 2023 at 9:40 AM Post #2,705 of 2,819
When I first got the GS-X mini, I emailed Justin with that question. His response was that you should use low gain unless your headphones really require high gain. I use low for my HE-K v2 and high for my newly acquired used Susvara.

Oct 15, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #2,707 of 2,819
High gain DEFINITELY sounds better than low gain. I’ve checked across many headphones. It seems to be the consensus of people on here. @Currawong tested this out when he reviewed the Mini and said the low gain sounds “flatter and more muffled.”

Minute 4:29:

Oct 15, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #2,708 of 2,819
I asked because when I first got the mini I tested low vs high gain but concluded that it is the same so I stayed with low gain for years plus it's also easier to adjust the volume. Last night I was doing a comparison between my headphones and IEM on RME ADI 2 - GSX mini, decided to try high gain on my headphones and it sounded more alive to my surprise! Perhaps my ears are better trained now and I was listening on higher than usual volume. The difference is small but it's there. I have to test high volume on RME + low gain vs low volume + high gain. I tried it on high volume + high gain last night but that is not healthy for long term listening on my ears.

Oct 15, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #2,709 of 2,819
High gain DEFINITELY sounds better than low gain. I’ve checked across many headphones. It seems to be the consensus of people on here. @Currawong tested this out when he reviewed the Mini and said the low gain sounds “flatter and more muffled.”

Minute 4:29:

High gain has less feedback. The negatives of high gain are higher noise, higher distortion and less usable pot range. There is no single correct answer when it comes to gain setting. Use the gain setting that sounds best and works best for you.

Oct 15, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #2,710 of 2,819
Well, I had a shootout here...

1) Questyle CMA Twelve Master (as an all-in-one).
2) DAC in the Questyle feeding a Benchmark HPA4.
3) DAC in the Questyle feeding a GSX mini.
4) Metrum Onyx DAC feeding the Benchmark HPA4.
5) Metrum Onyx DAC feeding the GSX mini.
IMG_20231014_054512259_HDR.jpg

After A LOT of listening there was a clear winner.
The Metrum Onyx with the GSX mini just sounds so much more enjoyable and sounds so much more to my liking. This is so damn good.

The system I just sold before this was a Holo Stack (Spring 3 KTE and Bliss KTE), driving a Susvara and frankly I don't miss it at all. The GSX is really enjoyable.
IMG_20231014_074311337_HDR.jpg
That’s a great and balanced system. We honestly could have saved you money and time if you weren‘t so caught up with FOMO and FOTM. happy listening.

Oct 17, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #2,712 of 2,819
This is an exceptional endgame SS amp. Unfortunately I have a new baby on the way and some family expenses I need to cover so I’m putting mine up for sale if anyone is interested.

I’ve never been so bummed about selling a piece of gear. This one will be missed but I want it to go to a good home.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/headamp-gs-x-mini.55721/
fyi

Only protected payment methods are allowed
Please only offer, request, or send payments via protected methods like PayPal Goods and Services. Head-Fi no longer requires that PayPal fees be included in the asking price, provided a protected payment method like PayPal Goods and Services is used.

Payment via unprotected methods like PayPal Friends and Family, Zelle, wire, money order, bank transfer, etc is strictly forbidden. Offering, requesting, or requiring unprotected payment methods may result in edited or removed listings and a suspension or ban from Head-Fi Classifieds.

Oct 18, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #2,713 of 2,819
Oct 18, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #2,714 of 2,819
fyi

Only protected payment methods are allowed
Please only offer, request, or send payments via protected methods like PayPal Goods and Services. Head-Fi no longer requires that PayPal fees be included in the asking price, provided a protected payment method like PayPal Goods and Services is used.

Payment via unprotected methods like PayPal Friends and Family, Zelle, wire, money order, bank transfer, etc is strictly forbidden. Offering, requesting, or requiring unprotected payment methods may result in edited or removed listings and a suspension or ban from Head-Fi Classifieds.

That’s so annoying. I’ve been using PayPal FF on Headfi for years. I know its not required to put the G&S fees in the price but people get annoyed when you don’t and doing so with expensive items like this makes it even harder to sell. You should be allowed to use F&F if you have good seller feedback.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up. I’ve corrected my listing. Price is now $1500.

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2023 at 9:10 AM Post #2,715 of 2,819
That’s so annoying. I’ve been using PayPal FF on Headfi for years. I know it’s not required to put the G&S fees in the price but people get annoyed when you don’t and doing so with expensive items like this makes it even harder to sell. You should be allowed to use F&F if you have good seller feedback.
I mean every single purchase I made here was with f&f and 90% of people operate this way. But it’s always at buyer’s discretion and own due diligence checking who you’re buying from. Also buying overseas with g&s means full value has to be declared for shipping, thus huge custom fees. At high prices both parties lose a lot of money with g&s so everyone avoids that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back