New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jan 7, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #2,311 of 2,814
I really liked the GS-X Mini! Though for some reason my preference still lies with the Dynahi even though it is SE.

Jan 7, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #2,312 of 2,814
I haven’t used the Jot 2 a ton, but I compared directly with GS-X and a bunch of other amps at @Relaxasaurus house (he may have more thoughts). Jot 2 is very impressive for the price, but GS-X is without a doubt the superior amp. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Totally agree. For the price you can't do better than the Jot 2, but if you have 4-5x the budget then you'll like the upgrade to the gsx. Going off memory from A/B'ing them but the highs, separation, timbre, and power are noticeably a level up.

Jan 7, 2022 at 10:28 PM Post #2,313 of 2,814
Mine arrived today :D

No without some drama from Fedex obviously.. But man i'll summarise my experience thus far below. As a side note if there are an UK Head-fi people I managed to get this without any excess import charges which was an amazing bonus!

So my comparisons will be against the following Headphone amps in my possession:-
Schiit Valhalla 2 - Upgraded tubes
THX 789 - Mass Drop
Mytek Brook Bridge

Source: Chord Qutest, SMSL D1SE

Bear in my mind these are immediate unboxed impressions, the immediate change in Gosh by Jamie XX from the 789 via balanced is immediately audible. The perception of bass and treble are so much cohesive in their delivery. I'd describe the treble on the HD800 as cold crisp winter rain lashing against my ears versus the ice shards being served by he 789. The sound is a lot more dynamic and powerful than both all of the 3 amplifiers noted above.

The sound is also much smoother on the LCDX. The 789 was a lot less controlled with the low-end on the 789. The Mytek actually did a good job at controlling the bass, but the GSX mini kicks it up a notch.

Out of the two headphones the most shocking difference is on the HD800, I have never heard any other amplifier make it sound this good. I have listened to a lot more music on the HD800 so have a better base of comparison.

I have yet to try any of my IEMs on this, so shall update the review with those.

In terms of input sources and how much of a difference the GSX Mini makes to them, I will need to take more time to evaluate.
The bottom line is, if you have a HD800 (OG version) - this headphone amp is a must audition. The sound is truly sensational. It has reinvigorated the HD800 to a level that I never thought would be possible. It highlights the importance of not discarding gear in this hobby.. you never know what combination could make things shine..

The polished silver was definitely the best choice :D

fX7kZOw.png
You’re really making me want to buy an HD800. I was blown away when I put my Beyer T1 on the Mini. Think I prefer that synergy over the T1 with Dennis Has IHA-1 SET amp (which I sold cause the Mini is so damn good). Only thing I didn’t like on the Mini was ZMF Aeolus. Sounded super muddy even though it was my favorite headphone on the IHA-1.

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:31 AM Post #2,314 of 2,814
I once owned the HD800S. Good headphones, comfortable to wear. They were a bit bright to me. I definitely have a preference for planar cans that I have owned!

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #2,316 of 2,814
You’re really making me want to buy an HD800. I was blown away when I put my Beyer T1 on the Mini. Think I prefer that synergy over the T1 with Dennis Has IHA-1 SET amp (which I sold cause the Mini is so damn good). Only thing I didn’t like on the Mini was ZMF Aeolus. Sounded super muddy even though it was my favorite headphone on the IHA-1.
I wouldn't buy one, but deffo loan one off a friend.

I will give you an example of a track that really stood out for me. Falling - Haim this song has this low rumble and panning of percussion at the start, on the THX 789 this sounded void of any excitement or dynamics. On the GSX Mini it comes to life, the dynamics, the slam are all much more emotive. This particular track sounds a lot better on the HD800 than the LCDX too. I have a Valhalla 2 and on that it sounds so vague and weak. The GSX Mini is the smoothest sounding amp that I have ever come across, so perhaps I thought it was my old ears and had my daughter come and listen.. she's 13.

She commented on the LCDX and her favourite Billie Eilish track of late; Happier than ever (Title Track) has this switch from being a quiet track to a bit more roar (Around 3min), she commented that there is more air and bite (She didn't make this sound like an audiophile, but compared it to having a cheeseburger vs quarter pounder :p) in the LCDX versus when fed by the GSX mini vs the 789

Do you guys have any suggestions for XLR to 4.4MM plugs or cables? - I want to test out my IEMs now

Jan 15, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #2,318 of 2,814
I think it is very rare to find one used here also. When people have one, they pretty much are done or at the very least hang on to their GS-X Mini.

I don't know if I have ever seen a dealer besides buying them directly from HeadAmp, other than Abyss offering them in their store.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,319 of 2,814
I wouldn't buy one, but deffo loan one off a friend.

I will give you an example of a track that really stood out for me. Falling - Haim this song has this low rumble and panning of percussion at the start, on the THX 789 this sounded void of any excitement or dynamics. On the GSX Mini it comes to life, the dynamics, the slam are all much more emotive. This particular track sounds a lot better on the HD800 than the LCDX too. I have a Valhalla 2 and on that it sounds so vague and weak. The GSX Mini is the smoothest sounding amp that I have ever come across, so perhaps I thought it was my old ears and had my daughter come and listen.. she's 13.

She commented on the LCDX and her favourite Billie Eilish track of late; Happier than ever (Title Track) has this switch from being a quiet track to a bit more roar (Around 3min), she commented that there is more air and bite (She didn't make this sound like an audiophile, but compared it to having a cheeseburger vs quarter pounder :p) in the LCDX versus when fed by the GSX mini vs the 789

Do you guys have any suggestions for XLR to 4.4MM plugs or cables? - I want to test out my IEMs now
Got this a while back, I’m really satisfied, high quality connectors in both ends.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1148116224...Yr1LMF_Td3zPR70969Khnm4vIFTpIXuBoCDkQQAvD_BwE

Jan 18, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #2,320 of 2,814
Is it OK to connect Cardas Clear twin 3 pin headphone cable to the pre amp outputs on a Headamp GSX mini headphone amplifier rather than the 4 pin headphone input on the front of the amp.I have adapters for the connection.
Any help appreciated.Thanks
John

Attachments

• cardas-clear-headphone-cable_07__80158.1572271478.jpg
    cardas-clear-headphone-cable_07__80158.1572271478.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PA3686-3-pin-female-female-cannon-type-adaptorImageMain-515.jpg
    PA3686-3-pin-female-female-cannon-type-adaptorImageMain-515.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
Jan 19, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #2,321 of 2,814
Is it OK to connect Cardas Clear twin 3 pin headphone cable to the pre amp outputs on a Headamp GSX mini headphone amplifier rather than the 4 pin headphone input on the front of the amp.I have adapters for the connection.
Any help appreciated.Thanks
John
The proper way is get a 4pin XLR to dual 3 Pin female adapter and use the 4pin headphone out.
31Aos+0R49L._AC_SY1000_.jpg

Jan 20, 2022 at 12:39 AM Post #2,322 of 2,814
Would love to find one used (ALPS pot), but they seem pretty rare here.
are you sure? I think they come up fairly regularly on classifieds here and on other sites.

Jan 20, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #2,324 of 2,814
A while back I just barely missed one. Waiting since.
Maybe just a lack of patience
Three sold in the last month:

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/headamp-gs-x-mini.18208/

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds...d-headphone-amplifier-pre-amp-like-new.18082/

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/headamp-gs-x-mini-balanced-headphone-amplifier-pre-amp.17240/

Are you subscribed to get email notifications when new listings go up in the desktop amp classified section? That’s best way to make sure you’re on top of things as soon as they go up.

Jan 20, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #2,325 of 2,814
Three sold in the last month:

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/headamp-gs-x-mini.18208/

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds...d-headphone-amplifier-pre-amp-like-new.18082/

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/headamp-gs-x-mini-balanced-headphone-amplifier-pre-amp.17240/

Are you subscribed to get email notifications when new listings go up in the desktop amp classified section? That’s best way to make sure you’re on top of things as soon as they go up.
I was talking about here in Europe. Would like to avoid import duties and customs stuff.
On HifiShark I have several notifications set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back