New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jan 20, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #2,326 of 2,819
I was talking about here in Europe. Would like to avoid import duties and customs stuff.
On HifiShark I have several notifications set.
Ah, yeah, you are right. Looks like just one over the last six months.

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #2,327 of 2,819
I have been looking at tube amps. Never had tubes, like the idea. Now I'm stuck on the Gsx mini. I'm just slightly concerned it is too clean/analytical. I have Focal Utopias and it will be paired with Matrix Audio mini 3 pro. I have thought about R2R as well. While it doesn't have to be warm, is it too steril? Dynamic, natural, neutral are all good.

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #2,328 of 2,819
I have been looking at tube amps. Never had tubes, like the idea. Now I'm stuck on the Gsx mini. I'm just slightly concerned it is too clean/analytical. I have Focal Utopias and it will be paired with Matrix Audio mini 3 pro. I have thought about R2R as well. While it doesn't have to be warm, is it too steril? Dynamic, natural, neutral are all good.
EQ. You need to EQ Utopias anyway, so why not.

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #2,329 of 2,819
Definitely not sterile or analytical. While people say it has “a touch of warmth,” I think that doesn’t get across what’s happening here. The GS-X is a high end amp and it sounds like one; it is considerably more detailed than some of the cheaper “clean amps” but is also “smooth.” Meaning it sounds musical, even romantic, without being vague in its delivery.

I had a Dragon Inspire IHA-1 – an SET tube amp designed by Denis Had - and sold it because I found the GS-X Mini more enjoyable.

Jan 20, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #2,331 of 2,819
Definitely not sterile or analytical. While people say it has “a touch of warmth,” I think that doesn’t get across what’s happening here. The GS-X is a high end amp and it sounds like one; it is considerably more detailed than some of the cheaper “clean amps” but is also “smooth.” Meaning it sounds musical, even romantic, without being vague in its delivery.

I had a Dragon Inspire IHA-1 – an SET tube amp designed by Denis Had - and sold it because I found the GS-X Mini more enjoyable.
I have always had SS. I am will g to try tubes, but even then everything I'm looking at is not super tubey. I know I am not getting most from amp so here I am. Considered V280, Burson Solist.... But yes the mini has always had me interested. I'm not even sure I need another DAC, it's just a possibility. So very interested. Certainly looks great.

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #2,332 of 2,819
I have always had SS. I am will g to try tubes, but even then everything I'm looking at is not super tubey. I know I am not getting most from amp so here I am. Considered V280, Burson Solist.... But yes the mini has always had me interested. I'm not even sure I need another DAC, it's just a possibility. So very interested. Certainly looks great.
GS-X is far better than V280 and the Burson Soloist. I compared the three directly in the same system (and with a few different DACs) and the GS-X bested them by a wide margin. I like the idea of the V280’ dark sound, but when I had it here in my house for a few weeks last year, I was quite eager to get the GS-X back. Was not impressed at all.

In fact, I preferred the GS-X to everything you see in this photo (as did the two other Headfiers who compared):

Screenshot at Jan 20 15-05-17.png

Jan 20, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #2,333 of 2,819
GS-X is far better than V280 and the Burson Soloist. I compared the three directly in the same system (and with a few different DACs) and the GS-X bested them by a wide margin. I like the idea of the V280’ dark sound, but when I had it here in my house for a few weeks last year, I was quite eager to get the GS-X back. Was not impressed at all.

In fact, I preferred the GS-X to everything you see in this photo (as did the two other Headfiers who compared):

Screenshot at Jan 20 15-05-17.png
That's quite a mound of gear. :)

I have a Naim Atom (not HE) and Matrix Audio mini 3 pro. I think both will be good dac/streamer... I just think niether are very good HP amps. I think a good one would make a big improvement.

And so how is that Ares II on the GSX.

Jan 20, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #2,334 of 2,819
That's quite a mound of gear. :)

I have a Naim Atom (not HE) and Matrix Audio mini 3 pro. I think both will be good dac/streamer... I just think niether are very good HP amps. I think a good one would make a big improvement.

And so how is that Ares II on the GSX.
I preferred the Chord DAC but they both sounded good. Probably would need to spend more time than I did to really judge them since this was just a one-day meetup.

The setup is @Relaxasaurus ’s, with my GS-X and @FYFL ’s Phonitor 2.

@Relaxasaurus did a two-part YouTube video on the mid-tier amps. I think he’s planning another one on some higher-end SS amps.

BTW, on tube amps… You said “tubey.” I’m guessing you mean something that’s like euphonic? I’d think you’d probably want an OTL amp for that.

Jan 20, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #2,335 of 2,819
I preferred the Chord DAC but they both sounded good. Probably would need to spend more time than I did to really judge them since this was just a one-day meetup.

The setup is @Relaxasaurus ’s, with my GS-X and @FYFL ’s Phonitor 2.

@Relaxasaurus did a two-part YouTube video on the mid-tier amps. I think he’s planning another one on some higher-end SS amps.

BTW, on tube amps… You said “tubey.” I’m guessing you mean something that’s like euphonic? I’d think you’d probably want an OTL amp for that.

Thank you. I actually like his stuff. Stumbled across a couple...

Tubes... I'm a noob. When people talk about extreme end of tubes... I'm not trying to go to any extreme. I was mainly looking at stuff in the middle of tube/SS sound.

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #2,336 of 2,819
Tubes scare me. Im SS all the way, GSX MK2 probably 6 years now, just perfect

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #2,337 of 2,819
I did like the Dragon Inspire, but it just didn’t seem to sound different enough from SS to justify the downsides of tubes (mainly lack of control in the low end).

I do want to try one of those Donald North amps – the Stratus is definitely on my list to buy in next few years.

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #2,338 of 2,819
Tubes scare me. Im SS all the way, GSX MK2 probably 6 years now, just perfect
I know, right. At least include a tube cage like the speaker amps. Those hot glasses can burn you.

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #2,339 of 2,819
I did like the Dragon Inspire, but it just didn’t seem to sound different enough from SS to justify the downsides of tubes (mainly lack of control in the low end).

I do want to try one of those Donald North amps – the Stratus is definitely on my list to buy in next few years.
I want my low end tiiiiiiiiiight

Jan 20, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #2,340 of 2,819
I know, right. At least include a tube cage like the speaker amps. Those hot glasses can burn you.
Im not dissing anything but tube "rolling" Im canadian and the only rolling i want is now legal here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back