New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jan 4, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #2,296 of 2,814
My wife just let me know that I have a package waiting at home... cough cough... I think I am coming down with something... not sure I can stay at work for another 5 hours :)
Milk it – say you have Covid and take off 10 days to listen to your headphones.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #2,300 of 2,814
I have always had speakers in my system however I also enjoy listening to headphones. Over the years I have had some very fine cans and usually a nice amplifier to power them. Here are some of the headphone amplifiers I have owned. The highly rated inexpensive Drop 789 and SPL Phonitor SE, and the basic Woo WA6 tube amp. My first higher end amp was the McIntosh MXA70, and then the fine tube amp from Dennis Had called the Dragon IHA1. I have also owned some nice step-up amplifiers such as the Bryston BHA1, the fantastic SimAudio NEO 430 HA, and most recently the Woo WA22 2nd Gen.

What makes me remanence about headphone amplifiers I have had in my audio setup? I just received an amplifier that I have been interested in and wanting to try. HeadAmp builds the renowned Blue Hawaii electrostatic amp and the GS-X mk2 two box conventional design. Their latest offering is the GS-X Mini which is a single box amplifier that is using their newest technology. Many have stated (including the guys at Abyss) that the Mini may well be a better choice than the mk 2.

The HeadAmp GS-X Mini is a pure class A, fully balanced headphone amplifier that uses an internal linear power supply. The unit can also substitute as a pre-amp (should make for an excellent back up unit). With their latest technology both single ended and balance input signals are balanced internally and therefore it does not make any difference if your source is SE or XLR, the amplifier will sound the same! The inputs are selected from a toggle switch on the front.

The unit has both a 4-pin XLR and a ¼” SE output, however the company highly recommend using the balanced output for best performance. There is also a High and Low Gain switch on the front. It is recommended to start trying the high-level position first.

The pre-amplifier section is selectable from a switch on the front panel. There are both SE RCA and Balance XLR outputs. Either can be used or at the same time, which will work well for a setup using both a speaker amp and powered subwoofers.

As I listed above, I have owned quite a few headphone amplifiers. All have their strong points and some of them are SOTA in my view. With only a short time listening to the GS-X Mini my first reaction is WOW! It is simply a fantastic amplifier. Quality of construction is second to none. Having all controls on the front is a very nice improvement over some of the others. The toggle switches are excellent quality, and I really like the feel of these little stick type that are used. Being able to use it as a pre-amp with two outputs is a nice bonus.

Performance is over the top. Detail is as good as any other amplifier that I have listened to. Instrument separation is in a class of its own which is not a surprise being that HeadAmp is building a pure class A amplifier. One surprise is how full and detailed the bass notes come through on my Abyss Diana Phi headphones. Better than any amplifier I have previously used. This is truly a musical amplifier in every way, picking out and listening to individual instruments is very easy to do. My Abyss have never shined more than they do with this new HeadAmp amplifier.

This write up is from only a few hours listening. I fully expect the amplifier to improve with break-in, especially considering that in my experience class A amplifiers usually improve during their first 50 – 100 hours of use. I highly recommend giving this amplifier a try if you are looking for a compact high-performance headphone amplifier to get the best out of your high-end cans!

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #2,301 of 2,814
I have always had speakers in my system however I also enjoy listening to headphones. Over the years I have had some very fine cans and usually a nice amplifier to power them. Here are some of the headphone amplifiers I have owned. The highly rated inexpensive Drop 789 and SPL Phonitor SE, and the basic Woo WA6 tube amp. My first higher end amp was the McIntosh MXA70, and then the fine tube amp from Dennis Had called the Dragon IHA1. I have also owned some nice step-up amplifiers such as the Bryston BHA1, the fantastic SimAudio NEO 430 HA, and most recently the Woo WA22 2nd Gen.

What makes me remanence about headphone amplifiers I have had in my audio setup? I just received an amplifier that I have been interested in and wanting to try. HeadAmp builds the renowned Blue Hawaii electrostatic amp and the GS-X mk2 two box conventional design. Their latest offering is the GS-X Mini which is a single box amplifier that is using their newest technology. Many have stated (including the guys at Abyss) that the Mini may well be a better choice than the mk 2.

The HeadAmp GS-X Mini is a pure class A, fully balanced headphone amplifier that uses an internal linear power supply. The unit can also substitute as a pre-amp (should make for an excellent back up unit). With their latest technology both single ended and balance input signals are balanced internally and therefore it does not make any difference if your source is SE or XLR, the amplifier will sound the same! The inputs are selected from a toggle switch on the front.

The unit has both a 4-pin XLR and a ¼” SE output, however the company highly recommend using the balanced output for best performance. There is also a High and Low Gain switch on the front. It is recommended to start trying the high-level position first.

The pre-amplifier section is selectable from a switch on the front panel. There are both SE RCA and Balance XLR outputs. Either can be used or at the same time, which will work well for a setup using both a speaker amp and powered subwoofers.

As I listed above, I have owned quite a few headphone amplifiers. All have their strong points and some of them are SOTA in my view. With only a short time listening to the GS-X Mini my first reaction is WOW! It is simply a fantastic amplifier. Quality of construction is second to none. Having all controls on the front is a very nice improvement over some of the others. The toggle switches are excellent quality, and I really like the feel of these little stick type that are used. Being able to use it as a pre-amp with two outputs is a nice bonus.

Performance is over the top. Detail is as good as any other amplifier that I have listened to. Instrument separation is in a class of its own which is not a surprise being that HeadAmp is building a pure class A amplifier. One surprise is how full and detailed the bass notes come through on my Abyss Diana Phi headphones. Better than any amplifier I have previously used. This is truly a musical amplifier in every way, picking out and listening to individual instruments is very easy to do. My Abyss have never shined more than they do with this new HeadAmp amplifier.

This write up is from only a few hours listening. I fully expect the amplifier to improve with break-in, especially considering that in my experience class A amplifiers usually improve during their first 50 – 100 hours of use. I highly recommend giving this amplifier a try if you are looking for a compact high-performance headphone amplifier to get the best out of your high-end cans!
I had a Dragon IHA-1 and a GS-X Mini. I sold the IHA-1 because I was barely listening to it.

Jan 6, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #2,303 of 2,814
I went with the standard volume control because the guys at Abyss recommended this instead of paying for the "higher" one. I will be setting the volume at one position and using my pre-amp to actually turn it up and down. My pre-amp actually has fantastic step attenuators. Arguably the best on the market, and it actually has two in dual mono configuration. Arek from Hattor Audio is the owner and developer of the amazing Kozmo 64-step attenuators and uses two of them in his higher models!

Abyss does recommend the amplifier but they also recommend the standard attenuator. "We prefer and sell with ALPS RK27 continuously variable volume control. Optional stepped volume control available at a premium $."

Ps... I always like McIntosh (being that I grew up in Binghamton) but the HeadAmp GS-X Mini is a fantastic amplifier. Very happy with it so far.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 6:08 PM Post #2,304 of 2,814
I went with the standard volume control because the guys at Abyss recommended this instead of paying for the "higher" one. I will be setting the volume at one position and using my pre-amp to actually turn it up and down. My pre-amp actually has fantastic step attenuators. Arguably the best on the market, and it actually has two in dual mono configuration. Arek from Hattor Audio is the owner and developer of the amazing Kozmo 64-step attenuators and uses two of them in his higher models!

Abyss does recommend the amplifier but they also recommend the standard attenuator. "We prefer and sell with ALPS RK27 continuously variable volume control. Optional stepped volume control available at a premium $."

Ps... I always like McIntosh (being that I grew up in Binghamton) but the HeadAmp GS-X Mini is a fantastic amplifier. Very happy with it so far.
I think you made the right call on volume. 24 steps is not enough.

Jan 6, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #2,305 of 2,814
Randy and Hutch-

Thanks for the replies.
Randy, you also addressed something else in my mind as the connecting the HPA directly to a DAC or running it through a pre-amp.

Enjoy the Sounds,

JohnJ

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:25 PM Post #2,307 of 2,814
If the price difference does not scare you off, absolutely! I would consider the GS-X Mini SOTA, or pretty darn close to it. You would have to go a lot more to try and improve on it. I have had amps up to almost three times its price, and in my view, the Mini is better.

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #2,308 of 2,814
If the price difference does not scare you off, absolutely! I would consider the GS-X Mini SOTA, or pretty darn close to it. You would have to go a lot more to try and improve on it. I have had amps up to almost three times its price, and in my view, the Mini is better.
I would be lying if I said the price doesnt scare me a little, haha. Do you think it would pair well with cans like ZMF Verite and Focal Clear? Or is it better with planars?

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #2,309 of 2,814
GS-X Mini owners, is this a worthwhile upgrade to Schiit Jot 2?
I haven’t used the Jot 2 a ton, but I compared directly with GS-X and a bunch of other amps at @Relaxasaurus house (he may have more thoughts). Jot 2 is very impressive for the price, but GS-X is without a doubt the superior amp. I do not think you will be disappointed.

Jan 7, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #2,310 of 2,814
Mine arrived today :D

No without some drama from Fedex obviously.. But man i'll summarise my experience thus far below. As a side note if there are an UK Head-fi people I managed to get this without any excess import charges which was an amazing bonus!

So my comparisons will be against the following Headphone amps in my possession:-
Schiit Valhalla 2 - Upgraded tubes
THX 789 - Mass Drop
Mytek Brook Bridge

Source: Chord Qutest, SMSL D1SE

Bear in my mind these are immediate unboxed impressions, the immediate change in Gosh by Jamie XX from the 789 via balanced is immediately audible. The perception of bass and treble are so much cohesive in their delivery. I'd describe the treble on the HD800 as cold crisp winter rain lashing against my ears versus the ice shards being served by he 789. The sound is a lot more dynamic and powerful than both all of the 3 amplifiers noted above.

The sound is also much smoother on the LCDX. The 789 was a lot less controlled with the low-end on the 789. The Mytek actually did a good job at controlling the bass, but the GSX mini kicks it up a notch.

Out of the two headphones the most shocking difference is on the HD800, I have never heard any other amplifier make it sound this good. I have listened to a lot more music on the HD800 so have a better base of comparison.

I have yet to try any of my IEMs on this, so shall update the review with those.

In terms of input sources and how much of a difference the GSX Mini makes to them, I will need to take more time to evaluate.
The bottom line is, if you have a HD800 (OG version) - this headphone amp is a must audition. The sound is truly sensational. It has reinvigorated the HD800 to a level that I never thought would be possible. It highlights the importance of not discarding gear in this hobby.. you never know what combination could make things shine..

The polished silver was definitely the best choice :D

fX7kZOw.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back