New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Dec 26, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #2,284 of 2,814
Thanks Randy,

Ordered the LCX 2021 to go with the GSX Mini. Can't wait :D
Congrats on your purchase. I loved my lcd-x with my mini for multiple reasons. {riomarily because of the smooth, and laid back presentation of the combo. The bass on the lcd-x is extended and really punchy but the soundstage is not as wide, however has good depth.

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:07 PM Post #2,285 of 2,814
It has an onboard power supply. There is no way to upgrade it without modifying the amp.

iPower Elite's voltage (5/12/15/24V) should match requirements of a specific component it's going to work with. That said, iPower Elite 5V is the best for a DC-powered device that demands 5V and so on so forth.

Sorry, I don't understand how this works. Does the onboard power supply defeat the use of a power conditioner or aftermarket power supply and connecting would be like having 2 power supplies?

Dec 29, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #2,286 of 2,814
Sorry, I don't understand how this works. Does the onboard power supply defeat the use of a power conditioner or aftermarket power supply and connecting would be like having 2 power supplies?
A power supply and power conditioner serve two different purposes. A power conditioner takes an imperfect AC supply and ideally brings it closer to being a perfect AC signal. It takes AC in and puts out AC. A power supply takes AC and converts it to DC, some do this better than others and different technologies have different flaws. The iPower is a power supply, it outputs DC voltage. The GS-X mini has an onboard power supply which itself takes AC and converts it to DC. The only power input on the mini is an AC plug. There’s no way to circumvent the built in power supply to use your own. Therefore if you wanted to use an iPower you’d need to modify the amp to wire it up. This is not a great idea as the amp already has a great quality linear power supply. A power conditioner, on the other hand, could be used with the mini as you would just plug it into the conditioner. Whether it would improve anything I don’t know. I have heard power conditioners can make matters worse if they’re not good quality.

Dec 29, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #2,287 of 2,814
A power supply and power conditioner serve two different purposes. A power conditioner takes an imperfect AC supply and ideally brings it closer to being a perfect AC signal. It takes AC in and puts out AC. A power supply takes AC and converts it to DC, some do this better than others and different technologies have different flaws. The iPower is a power supply, it outputs DC voltage. The GS-X mini has an onboard power supply which itself takes AC and converts it to DC. The only power input on the mini is an AC plug. There’s no way to circumvent the built in power supply to use your own. Therefore if you wanted to use an iPower you’d need to modify the amp to wire it up. This is not a great idea as the amp already has a great quality linear power supply. A power conditioner, on the other hand, could be used with the mini as you would just plug it into the conditioner. Whether it would improve anything I don’t know. I have heard power conditioners can make matters worse if they’re not good quality.

Thanks for that explanation. Much more clear now.

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #2,288 of 2,814
The GSX Mini has the Golden Reference Low Voltage PSU inside, (GRLV by Kevin Gilmore, look it up if you are interested) It is probably better than any after market PSU you could get.

If you want to do something on the AC, check out surge protector from Zero Surge/SurgeX.
it protects your gear better than any "audiophile conditioner" you could get.
And I don't know why, but it does also reduces the hum in my system versus various power strips/conditioner which does nothing.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 4:48 PM Post #2,289 of 2,814
Thanks Randy,

Ordered the LCX 2021 to go with the GSX Mini. Can't wait :D
Nice, enjoy. Audeze are great headphones. My GS-X Mini is supposed to arrive tomorrow! FedEx tracking is so weird though... hopefully they won't all of a sudden say there is a delay. I think the GS-X Mini will work well with my Abyss Diana Phi. I know the guys at Abyss highly recommend it!

Jan 4, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #2,291 of 2,814
Hmm.. I ordered mine on the 26th December and have had no communication or shipping notices yet my CC has been charged :frowning2: I’m hoping they get back to me soon or ship it soon.
You should call. In my experience, Justin answers the phone right away. https://www.headamp.com/pages/contact-us

But you ordered between Christmas and New Year’s. You’re probably one of many to do so. So my guess is he’s catching up on all the orders after the holidays.

Jan 4, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #2,292 of 2,814
Does anyone have the polished silver version? as there are no pictures on the headamp
Here you are. Silver color looks fantastic on the amp!

Attachments

• 0A99AAE2-A9F7-437B-A0A3-6E8FE3501D65.jpeg
    0A99AAE2-A9F7-437B-A0A3-6E8FE3501D65.jpeg
    663.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 11120A2F-E5C9-4321-BDA0-3BD21651B2C2.jpeg
    11120A2F-E5C9-4321-BDA0-3BD21651B2C2.jpeg
    642.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 4, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #2,293 of 2,814
I ordered mine mid-December. It is slated to arrive today. My only complaint is that it states on the website that your order will be shipped via 2-day shipping. It was not. It was shipped via ground. But still, it did not take long to get, so I cannot complain too much.

Mine is Polished Black!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back