New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jan 16, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #1,801 of 2,814
Abyss also recommends the standard volume control over the stepped version. Anyway, I am looking forward to receiving it.

I had one of the early mini’s with DACT and after a few months I sent it back to Justin to swap over to the standard volume pot. 24 steps were not enough control for me

Jan 16, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,802 of 2,814
I had one of the early mini’s with DACT and after a few months I sent it back to Justin to swap over to the standard volume pot. 24 steps were not enough control for me

Interesting. I don’t find the jump between steps to be that large when trying to make small adjustments. Although, I do miss a smooth volume action; the bumped/stepped control took a while to get used to.

One of the reasons why these more boutique type sellers are so great is that they are willing to make post sale changes like this. Headamp is up their with one of the best customer service experiences I have dealt with.

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #1,804 of 2,814
Do any of you Mini owners use a tube pre-amp? I recently had an Abyss 1266 TC in home demo that I've sadly had to send back. It sounded wonderful with my GS-X Mini and Bifrost 2 but I couldn't help but wonder if a tube pre-amp would add some richness to the Abyss and whatnot. I haven't tried so don't know of what a good synergistic pairing would be. I was wondering if someone here has tried it and had luck with a pairing. Someone recommended I get the Feliks Euforia and use it as a pre-amp while someone else suggested I look into the Schiit Freya.

Neither of these people have actually tried these combinations so I'm asking here because owners would be more likely to know.

Jan 17, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,805 of 2,814
My Mini is on order (patiently waiting). I am planning on hooking it straight off my DAC, but I do have as Hattor pre-amp with the optional Tube Active Stage that I could run to the Mini as well. I might try that at some point, however to start probably just off the DAC. But I do like to experiment so you never know :).

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #1,806 of 2,814
Interesting. I don’t find the jump between steps to be that large when trying to make small adjustments. Although, I do miss a smooth volume action; the bumped/stepped control took a while to get used to.

One of the reasons why these more boutique type sellers are so great is that they are willing to make post sale changes like this. Headamp is up their with one of the best customer service experiences I have dealt with.
I just got the mini with the DACT knob and I don't know if the knob makes a difference but this amp is loud! At high gain, 2 steps from mute is already uncomfortably loud driving my LCD4s. I have to drop it to low gain for more control. I don't think it's enough of a problem to send it back or replace the control though. Otherwise, I'm enjoying this amp very much!

Jan 17, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #1,807 of 2,814
I just got the mini with the DACT knob and I don't know if the knob makes a difference but this amp is loud! At high gain, 2 steps from mute is already uncomfortably loud driving my LCD4s. I have to drop it to low gain for more control. I don't think it's enough of a problem to send it back or replace the control though. Otherwise, I'm enjoying this amp very much!
Low gain is all you need for most headphones on the Mini.

Jan 19, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #1,809 of 2,814
Dang, you guys you getting me all excited waiting for my Mini.... I really want to give it a go with my Abyss Diana Phi's!
I love the mini with my Diana's. Plenty of play on the DACT attenuator.

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #1,810 of 2,814
I am quite disappointed. On HeadAmp's website it states that your amp will be delivered in 3-5 days. Delivered, not even simply shipped. Ok, so I believe they probably meant shipped in 3-5 days. No problems.

Well it has been 6 days since my order was placed and not word from them what so ever. So I decided to chat on their site and Justin tells me that they are expecting circuit boards in hopefully two weeks. That is weird; why would you have on your website that your order will be delivered in 3-5 days when they are out of parts and are not sure when more are arriving? Honestly, that is really frustrating. And honestly, in the chat he said that in his single reply (and I was not even hard in my reply back) and yet not a single reply afterwards. Very weird.

So I am now wondering if I should simply cancel my order and look elsewhere for a new amplifier to power my Abyss headphones. The website is very misleading and the chat session was anything but confidence building in the company.

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:40 PM Post #1,811 of 2,814
I am quite disappointed. On HeadAmp's website it states that your amp will be delivered in 3-5 days. Delivered, not even simply shipped. Ok, so I believe they probably meant shipped in 3-5 days. No problems.

Well it has been 6 days since my order was placed and not word from them what so ever. So I decided to chat on their site and Justin tells me that they are expecting circuit boards in hopefully two weeks. That is weird; why would you have on your website that your order will be delivered in 3-5 days when they are out of parts and are not sure when more are arriving? Honestly, that is really frustrating. And honestly, in the chat he said that in his single reply (and I was not even hard in my reply back) and yet not a single reply afterwards. Very weird.

So I am now wondering if I should simply cancel my order and look elsewhere for a new amplifier to power my Abyss headphones. The website is very misleading and the chat session was anything but confidence building in the company.
Yeah I experienced something similar. I ordered mine on 11/17 assuming I would receive it within a week. A week later I emailed to ask when it would ship. Justin informed me the satin black faceplates would not be in for a couple weeks. My unit finally shipped on 12/14. When I saw it was shipping via the USPS Justin was able to change the service to UPS at my request as the USPS delays before Christmas were crazy. A month wait for a high-end small-scale production hi-fi product is not bad at all. I imagine he does not have time to update availability of each possible variant on the website. I agree however that the delivery info the website shows definitely sets false expectations.

With all that said, this amp is most definitely worth the wait. There is a reason you ordered it. Just be patient!

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #1,812 of 2,814

Had a similar experience. Ordered just before Christmas, received a week ago. I also saw the 3-5 day ship time but expected that with the holidays and COVID that parts might be backordered. I actually got Justin on the phone as well when I was curious about my order and he told me that Headamp is a 3-person team and that they build everything by hand there. I know it's hard, I was getting frustrated as well but as wizzman said, it's worth the wait. Hang in there just a bit more!

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #1,813 of 2,814
Thanks for the input... not sure, exploring options, but I am leaning towards probably waiting. It is just disappointing with the expectation that it would not take long to get it.... it seems like everything is a disappointment over the past year, so I really should expect it. If they had simply stated, as Abyss does on their website, 2-3 weeks for ordering, then I would not be so disappointed.

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #1,814 of 2,814
Same here. I had to call Headamp a week or two afer my order to have a delivery status. A better communication with their new customers would improve their professionalism. I can sure wait for it but an email would have help.

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #1,815 of 2,814
Thanks for the input... not sure, exploring options, but I am leaning towards probably waiting. It is just disappointing with the expectation that it would not take long to get it.... it seems like everything is a disappointment over the past year, so I really should expect it. If they had simply stated, as Abyss does on their website, 2-3 weeks for ordering, then I would not be so disappointed.

Pretend the website says 1 month and you'll no longer be disappointed 🤷‍♂️

Users who are viewing this thread

Back