New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
May 10, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #1,171 of 2,828
Thank you....Justin really knocked it out of the park with this amp!
if you had to choose between the hpa4 and the mini which would you choose? You used to own the headamp gsx mk2 (the minis older bigger brother) and you like the mini better correct? Lastly, being as you review a lot of gear have you tried the SPL phonitor X? If so how does it compare to the mini? Thanks for your time!

May 10, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #1,173 of 2,828
The hpa4 is a good amp, measures well, comes with remote and is an awesome line amp too. It is neutral as neutral can be. Lots of power to spare.

The mini sounds a little bit warmer to me. I feel it has more bass than the hpa4, but just a little less tighter. amazing mids and smooth highs. It also sounds more 3d than the hpa4 which can sound "too neutral" and flat at times.

If you have plans for a Benchmark stack (add dac and ahb2), HPA4 is the way to go. Otherwise, if I had to choose between the two, I'd go for the mini for its more overall pleasing sound.

May 11, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #1,175 of 2,828
Does anyone have any impressions on how the Mini compares to the Mjolnir 2 especially with good tubes? I tried searching the thread and it seems like the MJ2 is on par which is disappointing considering it’s half the price of the Mini. I’ve been looking at it’s big brother and the ECP but I find the $3k+ asking price a bit steep for me which is why I hope the Mini would fit the bill. For me I’m looking for dynamics and detail as an improvement.

May 11, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #1,177 of 2,828
Does anyone have any impressions on how the Mini compares to the Mjolnir 2 especially with good tubes? I tried searching the thread and it seems like the MJ2 is on par which is disappointing considering it’s half the price of the Mini. I’ve been looking at it’s big brother and the ECP but I find the $3k+ asking price a bit steep for me which is why I hope the Mini would fit the bill. For me I’m looking for dynamics and detail as an improvement.
I am also interested in knowing how the Mini and MJ2 compare as I am considering both units. If the MJ2 is even close I would more likely consider that.

May 11, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #1,178 of 2,828
And the mini v auralic

i’m guessing that would maybe be a slight upgrade but more of a side “upgrade” (or whatever you call that) and not worth the extra outlay (of buying and selling).

I’ve looked at it many times but have not been pushed over the edge to buy the mini (without a demo)

May 11, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #1,179 of 2,828
Just put in an order for a matte black. Very excited!

From recent posts, it sounds like they're shipping sooner nowadays compared to a few months ago. I hope this is the case.

I ordered a Matte Black on the 15th. It just shipped today. I think the new 3 week timeline is accurate as of now.

May 11, 2020 at 2:01 PM Post #1,180 of 2,828
Are you "mostly" happy with the RME/MJ2 combo though? I've been running RME/Jot and for the most part am happy with that. However, I've been considering an upgrade to MJ2/PhonitorX/mini or HPA4. I've also considered the Violectric V280 but after reading impressions on it, I don't think it's what I'm looking for.

It would be interesting to find out if it's worth spending the extra grand on the mini over the MJ2. It's frustrating that there aren't more "mini" listening impressions on this thread. If you do take a leap of faith and order a mini, please post comparisons with the MJ2. That would make for some good reading!

May 11, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #1,181 of 2,828
Are you "mostly" happy with the RME/MJ2 combo though? I've been running RME/Jot and for the most part am happy with that. However, I've been considering an upgrade to MJ2/PhonitorX/mini or HPA4. I've also considered the Violectric V280 but after reading impressions on it, I don't think it's what I'm looking for.

It would be interesting to find out if it's worth spending the extra grand on the mini over the MJ2. It's frustrating that there aren't more "mini" listening impressions on this thread. If you do take a leap of faith and order a mini, please post comparisons with the MJ2. That would make for some good reading!

I have good tubes on it including Holy Grails which puts me at about $1k including the price of the tubes - half the cost of the mini. The one thing I wish I could change is the top end can get a little glarey on the MJ2 so the Mini would be nice as it seems to have a smooth top end. I also want more detail which I can’t get from a hybrid at this point. I like it but I know I could do better.

Im more than likely going to get the Mini unless I can be swayed by improvement to dollar points for the GSX MK2. Some have said on this thread that you’re getting 90% of the sound and less dynamics with this amp as compared to it a older brother.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #1,182 of 2,828
Are you referring to Schiit Mjolnir 2???

May 11, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #1,183 of 2,828
I have good tubes on it including Holy Grails which puts me at about $1k including the price of the tubes - half the cost of the mini. The one thing I wish I could change is the top end can get a little glarey on the MJ2 so the Mini would be nice as it seems to have a smooth top end. I also want more detail which I can’t get from a hybrid at this point. I like it but I know I could do better.

Im more than likely going to get the Mini unless I can be swayed by improvement to dollar points for the GSX MK2. Some have said on this thread that you’re getting 90% of the sound and less dynamics with this amp as compared to it a older brother.
It’s the detail aspect in which I had a problem with another hybrid the LP. I am wondering if the MJ2 has the same problem. If so, then the Mini seems to be just about the only amp to really be a big improvement under $2k.

May 11, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #1,184 of 2,828
It’s the detail aspect in which I had a problem with another hybrid the LP. I am wondering if the MJ2 has the same problem. If so, then the Mini seems to be just about the only amp to really be a big improvement under $2k.

The LP is a lot more thick which obscures detail and the MJ2 can run balanced so with the right tubes I don’t see that being an issue. Detail is just “ok” on this amp I’d say.

The MJ2 really does get a lot of it’s sound from the tubes used. It also gets a lot more forward and aggressive sounding when running balanced.

It’s a shame Doug from ECP is not running the DSHA-2 anymore that amp from what I’ve read was the best SS amp at $2k.

Are you referring to Schiit Mjolnir 2???

Yes.

Last edited:
May 11, 2020 at 4:50 PM Post #1,185 of 2,828
The LP is a lot more thick which obscures detail and the MJ2 can run balanced so with the right tubes I don’t see that being an issue. Detail is just “ok” on this amp I’d say.

The MJ2 really does get a lot of it’s sound from the tubes used. It also gets a lot more forward and aggressive sounding when running balanced.

It’s a shame Doug from ECP is not running the DSHA-2 anymore that amp from what I’ve read was the best SS amp at $2k.

Yes.
Well that’s a shame the MJ2 it’s just “ok” on detail. You can get the V281 on sale every now and then, not sure how that competes with the Mini. It seems like the ICan Pro has been left behind in comparison though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back