New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jul 18, 2020 at 12:23 AM Post #1,442 of 2,818
Yes, I think its absurd that we have to guess at such things that are relevant to setting things up properly.

No. The RME output is configurable. We just need to know the input level that the GSX Mini runs best with.

Standard input voltage for XLR is 4Vrms. That's what my Yggdrasil outputs via XLR. That's what the Mini should be expecting... at least I would hope so.

By the way, mine came today. I didn't have time to set it up but I will tomorrow morning.

Jul 18, 2020 at 1:05 AM Post #1,443 of 2,818
Yes, I think its absurd that we have to guess at such things that are relevant to setting things up properly.

No. The RME output is configurable. We just need to know the input level that the GSX Mini runs best with.

This isn't an absolute - it depends on the cans/monitors hooked up to it. You want decent travel on the volume pot, and that depends on what you have connected to it. Adjust input 'til you have the travel you want on the volume pot for your scenario.

Jul 18, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #1,444 of 2,818
Standard input voltage for XLR is 4Vrms. That's what my Yggdrasil outputs via XLR. That's what the Mini should be expecting... at least I would hope so.

By the way, mine came today. I didn't have time to set it up but I will tomorrow morning.
Thank You, Since 4Vrms is working well for you, I will set the RME up for that.

Jul 18, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #1,445 of 2,818
This is disconcerting. The local post office got the package a little early, so sent it out for delivery today. I knew it was coming, but expected it to be placed in a locked box like all my packages. I returned home to find it leaning against my front door, for anyone to come by and snatch. It was sent "signature required", but no one signed for it. On the box was scribbled "signature waived covid-19". They're lucky no one grabbed it off my doorstep or I'd be raising royal hell at the post office today.

A word of warning. For you guys expecting it on Monday, you might want to have someone at home when it arrives. Or call the post office and have them hold it for you.

Jul 18, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #1,446 of 2,818
This is disconcerting. The local post office got the package a little early, so sent it out for delivery today. I knew it was coming, but expected it to be placed in a locked box like all my packages. I returned home to find it leaning against my front door, for anyone to come by and snatch. It was sent "signature required", but no one signed for it. On the box was scribbled "signature waived covid-19". They're lucky no one grabbed it off my doorstep or I'd be raising royal hell at the post office today.

A word of warning. For you guys expecting it on Monday, you might want to have someone at home when it arrives. Or call the post office and have them hold it for you.
That is worrisome. I wonder if that's official USPS directive? We've had packages stolen before so we installed camera since then. I think in 2-3 years since installing only one package got stolen and police caught the thieves thanks to the camera footage.

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #1,447 of 2,818
I got mine yesterday!!!!
It is just beautiful.
IMG_0422.JPG
IMG_0426.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #1,449 of 2,818
I got mine yesterday!!!!
It is just beautiful.
IMG_0422.JPGIMG_0426.JPG
Sweet!!!!! Let us know how it sounds.
I'm going to have the same combo in about 2 days. The red GSX Mini along side an RME ADI-2.

Jul 18, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #1,450 of 2,818
The combo of RME ADI-2 and gsx mini is making me want to stay up nights, night after night, sounds so good!!

Jul 18, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #1,451 of 2,818
I have mine fed by two different dacs, a Modius and a Bifrost2. I use modius primarily for gaming, and BF2 for everything else. This amp drives all of my headphones in a way that makes them sound different than ive ever heard them. Particularly my Aeon2 closed. Theyve always kind fo trailed behind my LCD-X and Clears but they have something quite awesome going on with this amp. The LCD-X sound really smooth in the highs without losing any detail. Exactly what I was hoping for. The Clears sound ... fine, as usual. With the planars really singing the clears are just less impressive to me right now. Theyre a background noise can for me at this point. While the X and a2c are lively af. This amp is quite impressive.

The only amp I have on hand to A/B compare it currently is the RNHP. Its not as warm as the RNHP, but I dont miss the warmth as the detail and somewhat wide presentation makes it really nice to listen to in a different way. I do think this amp is much more capable of detail than the RNHP but thats a hard one to really hear or prove in a substantive way.

This is not a widely reviewed amp, so Im curious after reading through this thread, lots of folks say this is a neutral amp. I hear it as slightly warm, but my frame of reference is a THX 789. Maybe that thing is just brutal/bright and my reference is off 🤷‍♂️ idk.

Jul 18, 2020 at 11:37 PM Post #1,452 of 2,818
Sweet!!!!! Let us know how it sounds.
I'm going to have the same combo in about 2 days. The red GSX Mini along side an RME ADI-2.
I have been listening to the Mini using the single ended only - I have not yet received my ZMF Verite with balanced cables, so I am left with single ended low impedance headphones (6xx and AKG closed back). My other amp is a Ampsandsound Leeloo - Tube amp but with SS rectifier (similar to Pendant but that one has a tube rectifier). I have been doing lots of A/B between the Mini and the Leeloo and to my old ears the sound is very, very similar. The Mini is a bit clearer, particularly in vocals, instruments seem to sound alike in clarity. With my current headphones I do not hear difference in sound stage between these 2 amps, it is very good in both. I can tell though that the Mini is such an inviting amp... it invites you to keep listening for hours giving you non-fatiguing, cristal clear and good bass sounds. IMO the Mini is more musical than analytic, a bit warmer and more "fun" than THX amps, which is what I was looking for.
I just get lost in my music and enjoy it, pure bliss!!! - Thank you HeadAmp!

Jul 19, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #1,453 of 2,818
My new GS-X mini arrived yesterday morning. My initial impressions:

1. My Ether 2s have come to life. Massive clean power that makes them thump. I also have a pair of B&W 805Ds driven by a Krell KAV400xi at my desk that was my go-to listening experience when I am home alone and now prefer listening to my Ether 2s.

2. The GS-X min is the least source picky amp I have ever heard. I have both a Qutest and Mojo and can't hear the difference between them while using this amp. I spent hours trying to hear a difference, but can not. I clearly hear the difference between the two on the speakers. But, that difference goes away if I use the GS-X mini as a pre-amp. I can't explain it as I don't think the mini is warm, so it's not like tubes that can make my singing sound good.

After about three hours, I decided I don't care why the Mojo sounds just as good as the Qutest, I just decided to sell the Qutest and give myself an excuse to buy something else.

The only "issue" I have with the GS-X is it is too powerful as a pre-amp. I can't get the volume knob past 9 o'clock. I sent Justin an email at like 11:00 pm last night and he responded in about 2 minutes. He said the pre-out is the same as the headphone output and he could do a mod that would lower the output on low gain. But, have no interest in being without the mini for any time. The issue is my amp is too big for my speakers and putting a power pre-amp in that chain makes that worse.

What I really need to do is sell all my audio equipment, except the GS-X mini and spend all that money on new headphones.

Jul 19, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #1,454 of 2,818
My new GS-X mini arrived yesterday morning. My initial impressions:

1. My Ether 2s have come to life. Massive clean power that makes them thump. I also have a pair of B&W 805Ds driven by a Krell KAV400xi at my desk that was my go-to listening experience when I am home alone and now prefer listening to my Ether 2s.

2. The GS-X min is the least source picky amp I have ever heard. I have both a Qutest and Mojo and can't hear the difference between them while using this amp. I spent hours trying to hear a difference, but can not. I clearly hear the difference between the two on the speakers. But, that difference goes away if I use the GS-X mini as a pre-amp. I can't explain it as I don't think the mini is warm, so it's not like tubes that can make my singing sound good.

After about three hours, I decided I don't care why the Mojo sounds just as good as the Qutest, I just decided to sell the Qutest and give myself an excuse to buy something else.

The only "issue" I have with the GS-X is it is too powerful as a pre-amp. I can't get the volume knob past 9 o'clock. I sent Justin an email at like 11:00 pm last night and he responded in about 2 minutes. He said the pre-out is the same as the headphone output and he could do a mod that would lower the output on low gain. But, have no interest in being without the mini for any time. The issue is my amp is too big for my speakers and putting a powerful pre-amp in that chain makes that worse.

What I really need to do is sell all my audio equipment, except the GS-X mini and spend all that money on new headphones.
One other issue is it will ruin your sleep as all you will want to do is listen to this amp.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #1,455 of 2,818
Glad to hear that people are enjoying their minis! Excited to get mine tomorrow.

Interesting to hear that since I don't think I've seen anyone say that the two are on par though since you mentioned it now I'm extra excited to try the Mojo with the GS-X mini and A/B vs my RME ADI-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back