New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #1,396 of 2,819
The mini was more then enough for my 1266

Jul 4, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #1,399 of 2,819
I’m picking one of these up because the v280 is delayed from drop. I’m thinking I may be able to use it as a pre amp for my studio monitors as well (they’re currently on a mackie but knob passive). Anyone doing this?

Anyone heard this compared to lake people / Violectric amps?

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #1,400 of 2,819
I’m picking one of these up because the v280 is delayed from drop. I’m thinking I may be able to use it as a pre amp for my studio monitors as well (they’re currently on a mackie but knob passive). Anyone doing this?

I have a gsx mini, and I’ve loved it on my upstairs headphone rig. However, I brought it downstairs earlier tonight to see how it would do on the speaker rig replacing the Schiit Freya (first gen) and Shock! we all preferred the Freya. My guess is the Freya is more neutral maybe? The gsx has more kick to it? Seriously I was totally surprised. I just love the gsx mini on my headphone rig it’s brought my PS1000e to life. So who knows? I really thought it would easily out perform the Freya.

headphone rig - rme adi 2 Dac - gsx mini - PS1000e

speaker rig - schiit Yggdrasil - schiit Freya - Mackie HRS 120 Sub to Focal solo 6be monitors

I’m thinking system synergy maybe. Also, in all fairness I didn’t spend much time trying to make it work. Also take all of this with a grain of salt, as everyone always says ymmv

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #1,401 of 2,819

I just read back to page 84 where the v280 is compared indirectly and described as warmer and more lush. I may end up enjoying the sound of that more but I guess we’ll see. It’s a shame Drop sucks at communicating when there are delays.

Jul 5, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #1,402 of 2,819
I just read back to page 84 where the v280 is compared indirectly and described as warmer and more lush. I may end up enjoying the sound of that more but I guess we’ll see. It’s a shame Drop sucks at communicating when there are delays.
From my research I also read that the V280 will be warmer than the GS-X mini.

Jul 5, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #1,403 of 2,819
From my research I also read that the V280 will be warmer than the GS-X mini.
I have had them both. It is warmer. I also like the mini better.
Also, I would have expected the Freya to sound better as a preamp. It is a preamp, and only that. I tend to think of preamp outputs on something like the mini as a perk, and not a main selling point. It is phenomenal headphone amp, that also hss preamp functionality. If yor main use will be driving headphone, go for it. If you are mainly looking for a preamp, look for something designed, first and foremost, to be a preamp.

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #1,404 of 2,819
I have a gsx mini, and I’ve loved it on my upstairs headphone rig. However, I brought it downstairs earlier tonight to see how it would do on the speaker rig replacing the Schiit Freya (first gen) and Shock! we all preferred the Freya. My guess is the Freya is more neutral maybe? The gsx has more kick to it? Seriously I was totally surprised. I just love the gsx mini on my headphone rig it’s brought my PS1000e to life. So who knows? I really thought it would easily out perform the Freya.

headphone rig - rme adi 2 Dac - gsx mini - PS1000e

speaker rig - schiit Yggdrasil - schiit Freya - Mackie HRS 120 Sub to Focal solo 6be monitors

I’m thinking system synergy maybe. Also, in all fairness I didn’t spend much time trying to make it work. Also take all of this with a grain of salt, as everyone always says ymmv

I have had them both. It is warmer. I also like the mini better.
Also, I would have expected the Freya to sound better as a preamp. It is a preamp, and only that. I tend to think of preamp outputs on something like the mini as a perk, and not a main selling point. It is phenomenal headphone amp, that also hss preamp functionality. If yor main use will be driving headphone, go for it. If you are mainly looking for a preamp, look for something designed, first and foremost, to be a preamp.

Have to also say that I would probably look for a stand alone preamp if that's what's in need. Excellent as a headamp but not that ideal as a preamp imo.

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #1,408 of 2,819
I'm thinking matte blue but I'll have to think it over a bit before ordering.

Jul 7, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #1,410 of 2,819
I’ve had my mini for about a month now, I ordered the Purple one. I really like it! I’ve used it with my RME ADI 2 DAC, I’ve tried it with my Yggdrasil A2 DAC, I’ve used it with my HD650 and PS1000e headphones, both balanced connections. It’s been great with both DAC’s and both headphones.

The mini has an excellent sound. A good low end, defined and punchy. Good mids and highs too. It’s just a very nice listen. I spent most of this past month listening on my PS1000e and have really enjoyed it. On my old amp, I couldn’t listen to them for very long, just too bright, but now they’re extremely enjoyable headphones on the mini. Last night I decided to change it up and put on the HD650 and that was a great experience as well. Good low end on this amp! It really comes out on the HD650!

I have a pair of HD800s on order and they should be here Friday. Can’t wait to hear how they sound with the mini. My guess is the mini will drive pretty much any headphone very well.

Really the only “bad” thing I can say is I was surprised that it’s preamp capabilities weren’t better (only in my extremely short audition). In all fairness I didn’t spend any time trying to dial anything in, and that’s only on my system. Others might have better luck. As the old saying goes, ymmv. I was actually somewhat relieved anyway, I didn’t want the temptation to move it to the speaker rig, or to end up buying another one for the speaker rig! Dang hobby!!

As a headamp it’s fantastic IMO. I find myself wanting to listen to it as much as possible and it’s been that way all month. Head into my room, put headphones on, fire up the system and enjoy! Like another review says, another highlight is it’s impact. Listening to classical music, BAM! It’s great!

The only thing I can see myself doing now, is updating my other Yggdrasil to A2 and Unison USB and swapping it with the RME for awhile. And someday, I might bite the bullet and try out a Focal Utopia. I would imagine the mini with the Utopia is mind-blowing.

I hope everyone is enjoying their mini’s and as for the folks that just ordered, you’re in for a treat. This amp is a lot of fun!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back