New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jun 11, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #1,306 of 2,818
To my ears the Mini is closing to warm than not, but it's really transparent and feels neutral in a lot of aspects. I know that sounds contradicting, but it has a really well balanced sound. The midrange feels a bit warm but the highs are still crystal clear and bass is great in terms of quantity and quality.

I do agree that even with headphones that are considered warmer, it sounds really good with. The only thing I'll mention is that with the additional power of the WA33, for example, headphones like the Susvara and TCs seem to come to their full potential. That said, the mini drives both successfully and really good. I'd estimate I'm getting the last 15% squeeze out of them, but to my ears it's definitely noticeable. (and that should be the case, we're talking a huge price diff)

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #1,307 of 2,818
But WA33 cost 3x? 4x more? So yeah...
I don't recommend paring GS-X mini with dark or warm DAC.
Overall GS-X mini is warmer than my Pro ICan but is a "enjoyable" warm.

Jun 11, 2020 at 7:21 PM Post #1,308 of 2,818
The LCD 4 is considered a warm if not dark headphone, even by people that love it. Kinda far from neutral, though not really a bad thing.

What parameters are you going by for this? Forward mids, increased midbass, and recesses treble? From all of the reading I’ve done the LCD 4 has great sub bass, more recessed mids than the LCD 3 (prefazor) and LCD2. The mids aren’t as rich as it’s predecessors and it has a rather weird treble but quite extended. Not sure what categorizes them as warm? In fact a lot of LCD 4 owners who are dissatisfied with it seem to like the LCD 3 more since its more lush.

I've paired it with "warm" headphones that I didn't like with a tube amp or V281

Which ones? I’m not saying it’s not a detailed or clean amp but the treble is not as extended or detailed as it’s older brother which has been described as bright. I would say a neutral amp at its price would be Master 11. I’m only going by what’s been said on the thread. People need to quantify by what they mean as warm.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #1,309 of 2,818
But WA33 cost 3x? 4x more? So yeah...
I don't recommend paring GS-X mini with dark or warm DAC.
Overall GS-X mini is warmer than my Pro ICan but is a "enjoyable" warm.

I get that and acknowledged. Only mentioned due to the convo regarding powering the Susvara above that. All in all I'm still a huge fan of the Mini.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:09 PM Post #1,310 of 2,818
Did you listen any SS AMP with price range of GS-X mini?
BTW anyone notice SQ difference betwen low gain and high?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 8:24 PM Post #1,311 of 2,818
Did you listen any SS AMP with price range of GS-X mini?
BTW anyone notice SQ difference betwen low gain and high?

You mean with the Susvara and TCs specifically? Or in general?

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:38 PM Post #1,313 of 2,818
Gotcha. Over the years? Quite a few. Most recently most of my amps have been tubes. But the Hugo 2 new can be had for about the same price or under and it's headphone amp is pretty comparable, for example. However, it's less warm in nature, slightly less engaging, and FAR less powerful than the Mini. I prefer it overall quite a bit.

But exact price range aside, I've had plenty of SS/Tube amps much more expensive that the Mini feels on par with. I've already said multiple times in this thread how much of a value/bargain the Mini is, imo it could sale for $500-$1k more if not higher.

Jun 11, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #1,315 of 2,818
Jun 11, 2020 at 9:04 PM Post #1,316 of 2,818
What parameters are you going by for this? Forward mids, increased midbass, and recesses treble? From all of the reading I’ve done the LCD 4 has great sub bass, more recessed mids than the LCD 3 (prefazor) and LCD2. The mids aren’t as rich as it’s predecessors and it has a rather weird treble but quite extended. Not sure what categorizes them as warm? In fact a lot of LCD 4 owners who are dissatisfied with it seem to like the LCD 3 more since its more lush.

Which ones? I’m not saying it’s not a detailed or clean amp but the treble is not as extended or detailed as it’s older brother which has been described as bright. I would say a neutral amp at its price would be Master 11. I’m only going by what’s been said on the thread. People need to quantify by what they mean as warm.

Empyrean, LCD-3 and Z1R. I love them with the GS-X mini.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #1,317 of 2,818
Empyrean, LCD-3 and Z1R. I love them with the GS-X mini.
Gezz, I am starting to wonder if I am remembering the Mini wrong, and it is warmer than I remember. I found things slightly on the bright side with the D90. But that makes sense as the D90, I found, to be slightly on the bright side. I shall know soon enough.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #1,318 of 2,818
Gezz, I am starting to wonder if I am remembering the Mini wrong, and it is warmer than I remember. I found things slightly on the bright side with the D90. But that makes sense as the D90, I found, to be slightly on the bright side. I shall know soon enough.

What is your DAC? Justin's amplifiers are magnifying glasses on both your headphones and upstream rig. Yes, the GS-X mini has a nice sense of warmth when compared to brighter amplifiers, but it is still safely in the "neutral zone". Have your cake...and eat it too!

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:21 PM Post #1,319 of 2,818
What is your DAC? Justin's amplifiers are magnifying glasses on both your headphones and upstream rig. Yes, the GS-X mini has a nice sense of warmth when compared to brighter amplifiers, but it is still safely in the "neutral zone". Have your cake...and eat it too!
I now have a Bifrost 2, which is very nice with the Gilmore Lite mk2. I am not worried about it. I find it funny that people are talking about the Mini like it is the V280 or something.

Jun 11, 2020 at 9:24 PM Post #1,320 of 2,818
I now have a Bifrost 2, which is very nice with the Gilmore Lite mk2. I am not worried about it. I find it funny that people are talking about the Mini like it is the V280 or something.

The V280 wasn't as dark/warm as the V281 to my ears. I'm actually listening to my GS-X mini now with my Focal Utopia / balanced Heimdall 2 cable and this is definitely very balanced, nuanced and detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back