New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jun 9, 2020 at 11:14 PM Post #1,291 of 2,814
So is the consensus that warm headphones don’t particularly pair well with the Mini? Right now at the $2k price point I’ve stumbled upon the Holo Azure and this guy and while the Azure is detailed and neutral it’s a bit lean on power.

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #1,292 of 2,814

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #1,293 of 2,814
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 8:18 AM Post #1,294 of 2,814
not at all from what I’ve read

for example

But the LCD 4 is pretty neutral. The 3 is more warm than it is. Empys and Rad0 are both warm and from reading the thread they’re a bad fit as well.

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #1,295 of 2,814
But the LCD 4 is pretty neutral. The 3 is more warm than it is. Empys and Rad0 are both warm and from reading the thread they’re a bad fit as well.
The LCD 4 is considered a warm if not dark headphone, even by people that love it. Kinda far from neutral, though not really a bad thing.

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:49 PM Post #1,296 of 2,814
On my 4th pair of Lcd4 and they all sound(ed) different but the GSX Mini is by far the best amp I heard them with. You can’t go wrong with this amp...that’s me after a week of continuous listening.

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:32 PM Post #1,297 of 2,814
So is the consensus that warm headphones don’t particularly pair well with the Mini? Right now at the $2k price point I’ve stumbled upon the Holo Azure and this guy and while the Azure is detailed and neutral it’s a bit lean on power.

Wait what? This IS not a warm amp...not by any stretch. It is slightly (and I mean slightly) on the warmer side of neutral with great dynamics and sound staging (quite holographic). I've paired it with "warm" headphones that I didn't like with a tube amp or V281 (now that is a warm sounding amp) and loved the pairing! Please refrain from such sweeping statements if you have never heard the gear in question...it can start a silly trend that just isn't true. Thanks!

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #1,298 of 2,814
Wait what? This IS not a warm amp...not by any stretch. It is slightly (and I mean slightly) on the warmer side of neutral with great dynamics and sound staging (quite holographic). I've paired it with "warm" headphones that I didn't like with a tube amp or V281 (now that is a warm sounding amp) and loved the pairing! Please refrain from such sweeping statements if you have never heard the gear in question...it can start a silly trend that just isn't true. Thanks!
I honestly think neutral has a bit of a spectrum. The sound can be so far on either side of "pure" neutral and still be referred to as such. Call it the forgiving side of neutral

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:49 PM Post #1,299 of 2,814
I honestly think neutral has a bit of a spectrum. The sound can be so far on either side of "pure" neutral and still be referred to as such. Call it the forgiving side of neutral

It certainly is and I agree with that...but again, the GS-X mini is quite a bit brighter than the V281 or most tube amps out there and to my ears and with my headphones/sources, I would say it is pretty spot on tonally. I suggest posters listen to it first before inferring consensus. Especially around here. :p Remember 5 Head-fiers on average have about 8 opinions on the same subject amongst them.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #1,301 of 2,814
Most SS amps are going to seem bright compared to the V281. Even the V100 is brighter than that.

Agreed, but my initial post was that some made was that the GS-X mini was on par in terms of warmth with the V281, and that was my whole point...not even close.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #1,302 of 2,814
Agreed, but my initial post was that some made was that the GS-X mini was on par in terms of warmth with the V281, and that was my whole point...not even close.
I know.

I tried the V280, with a Topping D90 and an Aeon C with silver cables, and I still thought it was lacking treble. A somewhat bright DAC, a brighter headphone with silver cables and a person with some treble sensitivity, and I still thought it was too dark.

I am really looking forward to having a Mini of my very own. If the 3 weeks is still accurate for build time, I should have it in about a week!

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #1,303 of 2,814
I know.

I tried the V280, with a Topping D90 and an Aeon C with silver cables, and I still thought it was lacking treble. A somewhat bright DAC, a brighter headphone with silver cables and a person with some treble sensitivity, and I still thought it was too dark.

I am really looking forward to having a Mini of my very own. If the 3 weeks is still accurate for build time, I should have it in about a week!

Excellent...I think you'll love it! I certainly did and I put my $ where my mouth is as I bought the review sample as I couldn't bare to send it back to HeadAmp.

https://headphone.guru/the-headamp-...-amplifier-incredible-transparency-and-drive/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back