New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Jul 5, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #2,101 of 2,819
Just wanted to post an update for anyone waiting for a GS-X mini from the latest batch -- we've had some supply chain delays as many others have, but should have the circuit boards we need to finish orders arriving next week. Also, we should finally be getting the satin purple and satin grey panels/knobs we've been out of.
Delivery of the satin grey/purple parts was delayed till tomorrow after the truck made no delivery attempt Friday..but all orders w/ those colors will be ready this week too.

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Jul 15, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #2,102 of 2,819
So, I've been listening to the GS-X mini for awhile now, and let me just say, it's been an amazing experience. To me, the mini sounds better than the Singxer SA-1, but I have not tried using jumpers to bypass dc protection on the Singxer. As a side note I've learned that the sound does change on the mini depending on its current operating temperature. In my experience, the temperature needs to be in the "Goldilocks zone", neither too hot or too cold, for it to sound its best. I usually have my fan (aircom s6) on low and set on temperature activation.
It's an Immersive sound. Hearts strings being pulled, deeper connections being made, and spirits soaring is what I've come to expect when listening with the GS-X mini and a pair of resolving headphones (in my case it's the Stellia). There is a weight and realism to female vocals (I'm partial to female vocals) that stops me in my tracks... every time, but there's more. Alongside weight and fullness, there is refinement. You hear the vocal textures and nuances, whether it's grit or the delicate decay at the end of a note, in stunning clarity. This of course is dependent on the audio chain, but for me, the gs-x helps make it less about listlessly listening to music, and into more of an experience. I've had the gs-x mini since late May, so the "honeymoon phase" has been long past, but if you couldn't tell, I still very much adore the mini.
The Singxer SA-1 does a lot of things well, and I would have no problems recommending it to anyone interested in a Class A type HP amplifier. In retrospect, if I had to gauge how close the Singxer was to the GS-X mini, I'd say its about 80% of the Mini. That 20% may be enough for some to justify purchasing the Mini and if you can swing it, I'd say do it. But the Singxer has very good price to performance value, especially considering you can make it sound even better by bypassing the DC protection circuit with jumpers.
I wanted to write a more indepth review and comparison on both amps, but to be honest, you're not losing with either amp. They share most of the same merits, albeit the GS-X does everything a little better. I do not see myself replacing the mini for a long time. It's just too convenient not having to swap tubes :).

Current setup: Amazon HD -> AQ Diamond USB -> Matrix Spdif 2 (Uptone LPS 1.2) -> RAL i2s cable -> Musician Pegasus R2R (SR Orange fuses) -> Silver Dragon XLR Interconnects -> GS-X Mini (ifi Supanova power cable into wall outlet) -> Moon Audio Black Dragon HP Cable -> Focal Stellia ( I have the computer and Uptone LPS 1.2 connected to a ifi powerstation). Soon to have a Stellar Power Plant 3 and a Zenwave PL-11 cable.

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #2,104 of 2,819
Anyone knows if one can plug both single ended and balanced headphones together to listen?
Do you mean plug both into the amp at the same time? Yes, but they might have very different output levels.

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #2,105 of 2,819
Aug 14, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #2,108 of 2,819
New mini owner here, does anyone have suggestions on a dac under 3k that pairs well together?

I'm currently considering either a Yggdrasil or a pontus as I love the r2r sound

How about the new holo spring 3?

Aug 17, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #2,110 of 2,819
Anyone order one of these recently and hear back from Headamp? I ordered one in late July and have been trying to reach out to them about estimated production/delivery times given their 1-2 week turnaround quote on the product page, but I haven't heard anything since my purchase was confirmed. Anyone else speak tot hem recently to get a sense of order statuses and wait times? I don't mind waiting because I know they're often waiting for parts, just trying to get a sense of things.

Aug 18, 2021 at 1:45 AM Post #2,111 of 2,819
Anyone order one of these recently and hear back from Headamp? I ordered one in late July and have been trying to reach out to them about estimated production/delivery times given their 1-2 week turnaround quote on the product page, but I haven't heard anything since my purchase was confirmed. Anyone else speak tot hem recently to get a sense of order statuses and wait times? I don't mind waiting because I know they're often waiting for parts, just trying to get a sense of things.
You should call. Usually much slower with emails.

Aug 18, 2021 at 4:45 AM Post #2,112 of 2,819
I normally leave a message on their website chat service. They sometimes answer back relatively quickly, sometimes it can take a day or two. But yeah, calling them would probably be faster.

Aug 18, 2021 at 4:51 AM Post #2,113 of 2,819
New mini owner here, does anyone have suggestions on a dac under 3k that pairs well together?

I'm currently considering either a Yggdrasil or a pontus as I love the r2r sound
I attempted to purchase a Yggdrasil A2 and a Gungnir Multibit... but the wait times kept getting longer and longer, so I had to cancel my order. Waited a month, and when they extended it again, I gave up. I've been using a Musician Pegasus R2R dac with my GS-X mini and it has been wonderful. Just purchased a Holo May KTE dac, looking forward to see how it is going to sound with the gs-x mini.

Aug 19, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #2,114 of 2,819
Ordered this month, delivery in two weeks as stated.

Aug 23, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #2,115 of 2,819
My GSX mini came after 11 days! Bought a Abyss Diana v2 to pair with it... Audio heaven!
Build like a tank and satin black looks amazing!

Attachments

• 83D7B2CF-F4B6-4BBD-A55A-2EB79D0FF5F7.jpeg
    83D7B2CF-F4B6-4BBD-A55A-2EB79D0FF5F7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 32CB10BC-803D-4E53-8957-F6495D8A1AC0.jpeg
    32CB10BC-803D-4E53-8957-F6495D8A1AC0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • C5CED074-92E6-4911-8C7D-2955450290C1.jpeg
    C5CED074-92E6-4911-8C7D-2955450290C1.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread