New Amp from HeadAmp - GS-X Mini
Aug 3, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #1,546 of 2,818
I have a Fostex TH-X00 Ebony and Beyerdynamic Xelento IEM but I'm mostly exclusively using the Empyreans on the mini. Actually I think I've put 30 mins total on my Fostex since the Empys came :dt880smile:

Same I've always been skeptical about cables too but so far I've had several experiences with cables being worse, just about the same, or much better. My rule of thumb has been to try them and judge them myself.
1) cheap $7 headphone cable from ebay for my Denon D600 is noticeably worse than stock cables
2) $25 Sewell copper vs $110 QED silver-plated speaker cables is pretty much the same but QED was sliggghhttly brighter but almost negligible I'd rather keep the Sewell
3) Some brand $10 vs $90 Chord Company C-Line RCA cables onto my subwoofer is by far the biggest improvement I've ever heard from cables I was quite shocked. Speaking of which! I'll try these cables with the RME and mini.
Looking forward to hear your impressions on these cables with the GSX Mini
4) Just finished trying RCA to 3.5mm jack cables from Mojo to Mini. One unbranded and one from Amplifier Surgery. Unbranded cable sound noticeable more dull. Even the volume difference is very apparent despite it being about ~10% shorter.

I honestly dislike that there's differences between these cables. Wouldve preferred if they all sounded the same so I could save money. Still waiting for a different set of XLR cables. I'll give results next week.

Aug 3, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #1,547 of 2,818
4) Just finished trying RCA to 3.5mm jack cables from Mojo to Mini. One unbranded and one from Amplifier Surgery. Unbranded cable sound noticeable more dull. Even the volume difference is very apparent despite it being about ~10% shorter.

I honestly dislike that there's differences between these cables. Wouldve preferred if they all sounded the same so I could save money. Still waiting for a different set of XLR cables. I'll give results next week.

I consider myself lucky then. I don't imagine there's any difference and I don't hear any difference in cables. I do buy aftermarket cables, but for build quality, materials, appearance, handling, etc.

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #1,548 of 2,818
I haven't had time to read every page yet, but I did a search for Phonitor for this thread and got no results. I'm debating between the GSX Mini and a Phonitor XE (or X or E, all the same sounding amps, just different features). Has anyone compared these two amps in detail?

Looking for the same comparison , can't seem to find one.

Aug 5, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #1,549 of 2,818
I was trying to decide between the Phonitor and the GS-X Mini also. I ended up doing a search on this thread for the word "phonitor" and read all the threads that mentioned Phonitor. Then I went to the Phonitor and searched for "GS-X", and read all those threads. I ended up finding a few comparisons by folks that had both.

From my searches it appeared that most that had tried both, preferred the GS-X. I think I remember reading that the GS-X had a tiny bit of warmth compared to the Phonitor, which most found a little more musical.

Aug 6, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,550 of 2,818
there's a review of the mini on this channel. there are also other reviews including master 9 and phonitor xe on this channel

hope that helps

Aug 6, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #1,552 of 2,818
A little something showed up in the mail yesterday. In short, it sounds fantastic. I was one of many wondering about the difference between it and the THX 789 and so far I think it's a clear upgrade. I'll check in later with detailed impressions, as I'll have time to A/B them this weekend.

I've had my eye on the mini for over a year and can already I'm completely happy about this purchase! It's a beautifully engineered piece of kit! Bravo Justin, my first headamp product is an absolute winner!

20200806_131114.jpg

(argh! condo's man... I dusted yesterday!)

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #1,553 of 2,818
Just realized how hot this amp runs. I'm used to washing dishes with really hot water so when I touch the mini I just think "this is quite warm." Today my arm happen to touch it and it's really hot! Or perhaps the unit is hotter than usual today.

Aug 11, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #1,556 of 2,818
Could I also ask, in all the threads I read before picking up the Mini... how did nobody mention the red lights inside the amp (apparently I completely missed them in that pic from the HA site). I personally quite dig the little glimpses I get through the grill from time to time.

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #1,557 of 2,818
Looking forward to hear your impressions on these cables with the GSX Mini
The interconnects arrived! It does make a difference vs monoprice! Also beats the Chord RCAs that I've been comparing with. For 3 weeks I've been skeptical if the GS-X Mini is even an upgrade over the integrated amp in my RME, but this is not the case anymore! The Mini does sound better. Cleaner sounding and I'm able to pick up micro details better. Ooooo what a joy!

I've been really hoping that the cables wont make any difference so then I would return the mini and save lots of money, but looks like I'm keeping the amp!

Aug 11, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,558 of 2,818
The interconnects arrived! It does make a difference vs monoprice! Also beats the Chord RCAs that I've been comparing with. For 3 weeks I've been skeptical if the GS-X Mini is even an upgrade over the integrated amp in my RME, but this is not the case anymore! The Mini does sound better. Cleaner sounding and I'm able to pick up micro details better. Ooooo what a joy!

I've been really hoping that the cables wont make any difference so then I would return the mini and save lots of money, but looks like I'm keeping the amp!
I feel the same about the $20 interconnects I've been using :p

Aug 13, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #1,559 of 2,818

What is the interconnect cable that you found to be the best? Can you share the name and how much it costs? :) I would really appreciate because I am very skeptical to the GS-X Mini making a big difference over a JDS Labs Element II and the RME ADI-2 DAC/AMP

Aug 13, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #1,560 of 2,818
What is the interconnect cable that you found to be the best? Can you share the name and how much it costs? :) I would really appreciate because I am very skeptical to the GS-X Mini making a big difference over a JDS Labs Element II and the RME ADI-2 DAC/AMP
I wouldnt say best since I only have 2 different brands of interconnects. It's just one is better than the other haha :p I got the cables from here but it's not available on the website. You have to email them and ask for quote. Mine is 1.5ft silver-plated copper for $200 ish a pair. There's free return if you don't like the cable. Is it worth it? Meh debatable since right now I'm paying $2000+ total including the Mini for.. what, about 5% improvement over the RME? There could be higher % improvement for harder to drive headphones. It also depends on your listening volume. At really high volume (at the levels I could tolerate) I find that it helps having the Mini even before I had the new interconnects.

Overall, I'm happy with just the Empyrean + RME and could live without a separate amp. I'm just curious what it would sound like if I pushed the headphones without killing my wallet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back