New AKG line
Sep 13, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #215 of 422
I read all the posts in the first 8 pages of this thread.

I didn't see anyone answering the most important question (at least it is to me)...

Will the introduction of this Q line bring down the prices of new K701s?????

Anyone dumping the K701/K702 for the new and funky Qs can PM me too.

Sep 13, 2010 at 10:13 AM Post #216 of 422
Quote:

I didn't see anyone answering the most important question (at least it is to me)...

Will the introduction of this Q line bring down the prices of new K701s?????

Anyone dumping the K701/K702 for the new and funky Qs can PM me too.

Probably not. The prices of the DT880 and other models didn't go down upon introducing the T1. Same with the HD800 and HD650 and HD600. It's a bit more of a difference in price range but I don't think AKG is replacing the K701 just introducing a "higher end" (well at least higher priced) model. I would imagine prices would stay close to the same level.

On another note I just bought a K701 on a whim. If I don't take a liking to it, I'll probably end up selling.

Sep 17, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #217 of 422
Having a Little Dot I+, I was stuck either buying a new setup for HD650 or buying AKG K701 for another flagship can. I think I may be buying the black Q701 if it comses out and isn't a huge markup. I understand it has a removable cable? Buy a new cable and replace it so I don't have that eyesore green?

I have wanted a black k701 for some time. One other thing I'm curious about is the emblem on the grille and if it's removable. I can't imagine that being amazing for sound quality.

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #219 of 422

Quote:
Having a Little Dot I+, I was stuck either buying a new setup for HD650 or buying AKG K701 for another flagship can. I think I may be buying the black Q701 if it comses out and isn't a huge markup. I understand it has a removable cable? Buy a new cable and replace it so I don't have that eyesore green?

I have wanted a black k701 for some time. One other thing I'm curious about is the emblem on the grille and if it's removable. I can't imagine that being amazing for sound quality.

K701 in black (very dark blue looks as black for me) and with removable cable = K702 
I own a K701 and had a K702 for a half year to test it too. I hope I could get a Q701 for a while.
I think the price of the Q701 will decrease after some month, similar as the prices from K701 and K702.

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #220 of 422

Quote:

K701 in black and with removable cable = K702 
I own a K701 and had a K702 for a half year to test it too. I hope I could get a Q701 for a while.
I think the price of the Q701 will decrease after some month, similar as the prices from K701 and K702.

To be precise, it's navy.

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:14 AM Post #221 of 422

Quote:

To be precise, it's navy.

you are quicker than I could edit my last posting - it's a very dark blue / navy - for me it looks like black. 
If have a local dealer (music, professional audio, music instruments - shops too) look about. 

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:31 AM Post #222 of 422

Quote:
you are quicker than I could edit my last posting - it's a very dark blue / navy - for me it looks like black. 
If have a local dealer (music, professional audio, music instruments - shops too) look about. 

The only local dealer of good headphones is the place hosting the head-fi meet I'm organizing. They only sell Grados and the B&W headphones (which I personally dislike). If I need a pair of grados, I go there.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #223 of 422
Wow... They currently cost 5000 SEK ($700 USD). What the eff is up with that...

* Importer taking its share
* Dealer taking its share
* VAT

If you do not like the price tag you can always import them yourself, or buy something else.
wink_face.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #224 of 422

Quote:

K701 in black (very dark blue looks as black for me) and with removable cable = K702 

Ebay, is a good place to check it out in a few months.

Oct 12, 2010 at 7:58 PM Post #225 of 422

OK, the HF bookies are giving 5-1 odds on the Q-701’s being a rebadged K701/2 and I wouldn’t touch that bet. We should all know for sure later in the month. I guess this is AKG’s October surprise and the green model would be the perfect accessory for a Halloween Hulk costume. If you should run into such a character don’t make fun of his headphones; you wouldn’t want to make him angry. Speaking of angry, it never ceases to amaze me the anger and animosity both for and against AKG  K701/2 & Q incurs. Love um or hate um, you are still going to have plenty of critics.

The use of Quincy Jones as a spokesman/marketing campaign (but not R&D) is probably a very good business decision. Computer/digital audio has enabled a huge number of wanna be music producers to enter the market and they all will want good hip looking headphones. Quincy Jones’s 27 Grammy Awards and 79 nominations make a pretty good case for the budding record producer’s choice for a headphone purchase. From Frank Sinatra to Michael Jackson, Q has street cred. It will probably make AKG/Harmon a very tidy profit. Time will tell.

Speaking of time, AKG does seem to take a bit more of it than some of the German, American and Japanese can makers. AKG or Acoustic and Cinema Equipment is a transducer company that cut its teeth on microphones used for professional recording. The studio standard C414 is a design from the mid 50’s. It takes time to make a classic that stands the test of time. The AKG K701/2 may not be the latest greatest flavor of the month on these pages anymore, but it will still be doing its job when the current FOM have lost their taste. Harmon will not harm AKG’s development and release of a new flagship model. It may take a little longer than some can bear but to make a classic takes time, to replace a classic takes a little longer.

Currawong, is that Joe Sample?

Quote:
To me, Harman are saying "We have nothing new technology-wise we want to offer but intend to flog the brand name for all it's worth only."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back