New AKG Headphones "By Tiësto"
Dec 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #436 of 517
do you guys think the k167 will be goo to DJ with ? im looking to buy something stylish to DJ with that helps block out outside noise well. any suggestions that look like these without sacrificing sound quality 

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:07 PM Post #437 of 517
They isolate very very well, even more than the AiAiAi TMA-1's that I've had for quite some time. Sound quality wise they're superb, outperforming the TMA1's.

Dec 15, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #438 of 517
I just purchased the K267 from JRRShop.com It says they have them in stock for $294.41 There is also a 10% off coupon code (YouTube) that took $29.49 off. The total came out to $280.11 that included $14.69 for shipping. Does anyone know anything about this website? I hope I can receive them before Christmas.

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #439 of 517
Quote:
I just purchased the K267 from JRRShop.com It says they have them in stock for $294.41 There is also a 10% off coupon code (YouTube) that took $29.49 off. The total came out to $280.11 that included $14.69 for shipping. Does anyone know anything about this website? I hope I can receive them before Christmas.

That's like 2x as little as we europeans will probably have to pay for it. :O

Dec 15, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #440 of 517
Quote:

Sorry, but you should have called them.  I just called and they won't have stock until mid January like everyone else, but their pricing is excellent.  Fyi, you should also be receiving free shipping when they come out based on their web site- free shipping over $199.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:28 AM Post #441 of 517
After the looooong read I found very little impressions on K67, which is what I'm more interested in.  It seems K67 was more ignored with the availability of K167 that is about to be buried by the anticipation of K267... something that hasn't even come out yet.

Dec 23, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #442 of 517
After the looooong read I found very little impressions on K67, which is what I'm more interested in.  It seems K67 was more ignored with the availability of K167 that is about to be buried by the anticipation of K267... something that hasn't even come out yet.

I am also very interested in the k67,
Because if the 40mm driver is the same as the 167 40mm driver then I would expect similar details with a smaller soundstage and a direct competitor to similarly smaller "on ear" popular cans,
like the m80 or sen25 or maybe even beyer1350 or jvcs500.
They're on Ebay for under $80 now in the states where as the jvc s500 is still only in Japan which make it priced higher due to shipping.
I already pulled the trigger on the akg167 and vmoda m80 but may want these .

Dec 29, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #443 of 517
Quote:
I am also very interested in the k67,
Because if the 40mm driver is the same as the 167 40mm driver then I would expect similar details with a smaller soundstage and a direct competitor to similarly smaller "on ear" popular cans,
like the m80 or sen25 or maybe even beyer1350 or jvcs500.
They're on Ebay for under $80 now in the states where as the jvc s500 is still only in Japan which make it priced higher due to shipping.
I already pulled the trigger on the akg167 and vmoda m80 but may want these .

Quote:

Hey guys,

I'm new to the board and a new found low/mid-fi guy, if I'm to name myself propely 
o2smile.gif
. I've had the AKG K518 DJ for about 6 months and enjoyed them very much because of their ability to produce wonderful mid-bass and almost equally good sub-bass sound. Yesterday I drove by my local electronics store and spotted the AKG K67 for about 100$ , which I thought was quite affordable (I'm in the EU so it's cheap) so I decided to to give it a go and bought myself a pair. 

My initial impression was that the K67 sounded like the K518 DJ phone, but the bass is more controlled and well-defined and not such as boomy as on the K518 DJ. The mids and treble are also more textured and defined so to speak and is a bit a of a step up from the K518. I primarily listen to to House/Disco/Liquid D'n'B music, so I'm more prone to give and impression on the EDM side for the K67. Rock/acoustic/pop/metal/classical etc isn't really my style of music and I'm not therefore not giving an impression as to how the K67 performs with these genres. I also can't state if the K67 has a similar sound to the K167 as I haven't heard/listened to the phone. 

More on the sound signature then; as I've stated the sound is quite similar to the K518 but more refined with a more controlled bass signature. The overall sound of the K67 is a bit veiled/dark and so was the K518 before it opened up and the drivers got "burnt-in" and things will surely improve as the phones get more burned it, circa >50 hours or so. They are "just" somewhat less sensitive than the K518 as to how loud they will play unamped and I'm only using a Asus Xonar DX as my music source which has great sound quality to my ears at least. I don't know as if the phones would benefit from being amped through a dedicated amplifier/DAC, but they should be easily driven on iPhone/iPod or such.

Comfort wise the K67 is on par with the K518 as it's somewhat heavier but better padded around the frame. They still clamp a bit but cushions/pads are better and softer then on the K518, so that's an improvement over the K518. I've solved padding issue with applying some gauze/bandage on the head band to make it softer, not so stylish to be honest but clearly more comfortable 
biggrin.gif

On the whole I'm quite pleased with the buy and I consider it to be an upgrade for those who still enjoy the K518 house sound and are looking for a similar sound and sound signature, engaging and fun bassy cans with adequate mids and treble which never become tiring or too sibiliant.

If you've got any questions, I'd be happy to answer them to the extent of my knowledge. I'm not an expert by a long shot if you're after frequency charts and such 
smile.gif

Btw, I'm browsing through some Prince tracks and they do sound clear and fun on the K67 for those interested :wink:.

Jan 5, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #445 of 517
can anyone comment on the soundstage of the k67 and k167? i know, they are closed cans and wont be very wide, but maybe better depth than the k518?

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #446 of 517
I now have both the k167 and the k67 as well as monster DNA on hand.
the k167 is larger and has larger bass and overall more shiny highs yet recessed lower mids.
the k67 has slightly less yet similar sounding quality bass with more neutral mids and similar yet not as shiny highs.
the smaller k67 are more balanced while the k167 are more flashy in sound.
Edit:
Looking at the pads, very ingenious for the smalker k67 to have the innerside of them a type of felt instead of continuing the pleather.
I assume it helps create a larger diameter hole for sound.
The sound is similar in both volume level & sounstage to an m80 which I no longer have access to.
Although the k167 & k67 share similar sonic signature traits at the bass & high extremes, you can't really compare them.
I would say the k167 is a competitor to the ath m50,
And the smaller k67 a competitor to a vmoda m80.
Personal preference will be the deciding factor as I see them respectively within performance range of the other brands.
I have also the Monster DNA on hand and it will be my personal portable choice although it is more expensive and a bit too forward in mids.
From memory I would say the m80 is a bit more forward than the k67, which compared to the m80, the k67 sounds slightly deeper in bass and flatter in mids.
Both are impressive on details but of course the m80 has the lowest profile and looks higher quality construction.
I also have the m100 on hand and it has more bass than all as well as sounding just beautiful.
But I always considered the m80 to have the best balance of bass/mids/highs although smaller soundstage than the bigger cans of course.
But now the Monster DNA has bumped it out for being more involving and intense.
Definitely opposite of being laid back.
Too bad it doesnt have the sweetness in highs of all the others.

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #447 of 517
Wrong thread edit

Jan 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM Post #448 of 517
Quote:
Wrong thread edit

Anyone knows why all the AKG tiesto threads keep getting closed/deleted ? I was going to post a quick review..

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #450 of 517
Quote:
So AKG is the next Monster cable?  They sound nothing like the company they used to be when they made the K1000's.  It seems like they are trying to target and cash in on the crowd that buys Beats by Dre, which I don't consider to be a respectable thing to do. 

While it's true that celebrity tie ins are unfortunately finding their way into our hobby it isn't always a bad thing. I greatly prefer the look and sound of the Quincy Jones Q701's over the K701's. More robust bass, the same great midrange, new styling, and a removable headphone cable. All for the same price and because of a celebrity.

One of my other hobbies is parfume and celebrity frags have long been part of that world but the funny thing is once you get over the idea of how maudlin and base that kind of thing is, some of them are actually not bad.

Don't buy the Tiesto because you like Tiesto, buy it if it sounds good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back