New AKG Headphones "By Tiësto"
May 15, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #136 of 517
Quote:
sorry to be off topic and ruin any FOTM thing going on here but, AKG hasn't been about professional audio since what? the 80's? yea....well, headphone wise atleast.

I think AKG is about the "professional headphone market" as much as anyone else is. AKG, Sennheiser, Beyer, Fostex, Sony etc. all market basically in the same way in that they have cheap consumer models and moderately priced models that target the advanced amateur/pro market (most "pros" do not buy big ticket phones). Where AKG hasn't competed recently is the super high end audiophile headphone market (though they do in IEM's) that the other companies do. But you are unlikely to see these high end audiophile phones, or say, an Audeze, Stax or other audiophile phone in a pro application.

May 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #137 of 517
The technology has not changed though.  The HP1000 made in the 90's is still one of the very best dynamics ever made in terms of accuracy, speed, neutrality, lack of serious problems, colorations.  And they were largely tuned by ear.  That is pathetic.  The Sennheiser Orhpeus is still considered by most people to be the best headphone ever made.  And it was made decades ago.

I'm not going to promise you that these won't sound decent.  What I'm saying is that you're more likely to be right if you guess they will offer nothing new, or worse, than if you guess they are going to be anything new or better sounding than what's out there already.  When you add in the fact that a big part of the selling point is style and celebrity affiliation, the chances of them offering anything new sonically are further lessened. 

Being blindly excited about headphones simply because they are new is just playing into their hands, and letting them play us for fools.  Headphone companies release new headphone after new headphone simply because people get excited about stuff that's new.  They dont bother making decent sounding products because they dont' need to when consumers just fawn over the "newness". 

So you should ask yourself- do you want a "new looking" headphone, or do you want something that actually pushes the technology forward and sounds better?  It's in our best interest to approach new products with a degree of skepticism until we have reason to believe the manufacturer is in fact making an effort to make a good product sonically.  Make them prove themselves.  They've cried wolf too many times. 

I do want something thats new looking so at the moment they fulfill every bit of criteria I can divulge from a picture. I'm already getting excited! Case in point try not answering for everyone.

AKG is a company that knows how to make and record sound. This whole thread is based upon speculation of a new product and the only thing I keep wasting my time reading is how pessimistically convinced everyone is about AKG is as a company and how their HPs aren't "professional". Do any of the opinions come from anyone in the industry? I guess we'll have to wait and see how these things sound.

May 15, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #140 of 517
AKG's Q-701s, with the Quincy Jones tie-in, have received good reviews. So not every artist tie-in headphone has to suck. But that doesn't stop my heart sinking when I look at headphones in high-street stores and see the choice between Beats by Dr. Dre or Soul by Ludakris. It's just depressing to see how you can slap this kind of marketing on headphones and stupid bloody humans will actually rush out and buy them, and depressing to see AKG feeling the need to compete at that game.

May 15, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #141 of 517
AKG's Q-701s, with the Quincy Jones tie-in, have received good reviews. So not every artist tie-in headphone has to suck. But that doesn't stop my heart sinking when I look at headphones in high-street stores and see the choice between Beats by Dr. Dre or Soul by Ludakris. It's just depressing to see how you can slap this kind of marketing on headphones and stupid bloody humans will actually rush out and buy them, and depressing to see AKG feeling the need to compete at that game.
Don't you think it'd be more depressing to see AKG out of business? It's called marketing. It's an effort to expand business and generate more sales. More sales = more revenue. What better way than to take an internationally recognized artist to promote it. Why is this such a bad thing? It's obvious that some of the old schoolers don't want change. But these times are a changing. The needs and wants of the consumer out weigh the needs and wants of the Audiophile.

May 15, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #142 of 517
AKG seems to want a piece of the celebrity endorsed headphone market that Beats/Monster pioneered. I don't blame them since this is where the profits seem to be in the headphone market. Hopefully the AKG "by Tiesto" headphones don't sound too bad. I'm surprised Sennheiser has not jumped on board yet.

May 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #143 of 517
It has nothing to do with change.  It is very simple. 

I want good sound quality.  I don't just want cool looking ear muffs. 

You clearly are more interested in the fluffy sparkly plastic shell.  Which is great.  But it is not fidelity.  And it really has nothing to do with headphones.  You want to judge headphones by pictures.  Which is great.  But I am interested in fidelity.  Which cannot be judged by pictures or marketing or gimmicks.  Maybe you should sign up for a fashion forum. 

May 15, 2012 at 4:10 PM Post #144 of 517
Quote:
Don't you think it'd be more depressing to see AKG out of business? It's called marketing. It's an effort to expand business and generate more sales. More sales = more revenue. What better way than to take an internationally recognized artist to promote it. Why is this such a bad thing? It's obvious that some of the old schoolers don't want change. But these times are a changing. The needs and wants of the consumer out weigh the needs and wants of the Audiophile.

Yes, I understand about marketing and I see why they're doing it. The depressing thing is that it works and the typical consumer will buy headphones based on marketing rather than actual quality.

May 15, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #146 of 517
Quote:
It has nothing to do with change.  It is very simple. 

I want good sound quality.  I don't just want cool looking ear muffs. 

You clearly are more interested in the fluffy sparkly plastic shell.  Which is great.  But it is not fidelity.  And it really has nothing to do with headphones.  You want to judge headphones by pictures.  Which is great.  But I am interested in fidelity.  Which cannot be judged by pictures or marketing or gimmicks.  Maybe you should sign up for a fashion forum. 

quit wasting everyone time LOL

Quote:
Yes, I understand about marketing and I see why they're doing it. The depressing thing is that it works and the typical consumer will buy headphones based on marketing rather than actual quality.

LOL but has anyone heard these yet? If AKG is gonna try and make a new DJ phone I hope it will better their previous model. We con only wait and see.

May 16, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #147 of 517
Quote:
quit wasting everyone time LOL

LOL but has anyone heard these yet? If AKG is gonna try and make a new DJ phone I hope it will better their previous model. We con only wait and see.

This is head-fi. you think we make judgements and opinions on things we have experienced first hand?

May 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM Post #149 of 517
Quote:
So you enjoy being a consumer tool, nice one. 

I notice you live in the United States. Therefore, you are a "consumer tool" by definition (as am I...)
biggrin.gif

May 16, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #150 of 517

Users who are viewing this thread

Back