New AKG Headphones "By Tiësto"
Apr 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM Post #91 of 517

Quote:
Probably similar to what the K181's "Club" switch does. It's not a new concept for AKG, so I'd assume it's at least decent since they've had years to improve upon it.

What does that do?

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:22 PM Post #92 of 517
The headphones look sweet. And if they can be tuned to bring out the best in trance/techno tunes, I'm sold. :)

Haven't heard a lot of Tiesto's recent stuff. He was great a long time ago, though.

Apr 6, 2012 at 12:47 PM Post #93 of 517
Apr 6, 2012 at 12:55 PM Post #94 of 517
Oh how I love the smell of napalm hipocrisy. When we were still ok to discuss the Beats, before the big Beats call-out thread got closed, the main idea on everyone's mind was: this kind of celebrity endorsement is good, it works, it made the headphone market shoot and become bigger than it had ever been. If only more serious brands would understand this, they wouldn't be in the ditch they are now.

What happens? Literally, word-by-word what pretty much everyone said they wanted. AKG contacted a DJ and they're releasing Tiesto headphones. Head-Fi's reaction? Crossing AKG off the list of respectful companies. Yes, God forbid these audiophile companies stop selling to a niche of demanding customers and actually expand to bring quality sound to much more people! No please, don't appeal to the masses! We like being specia! Can you imagine a future where people actually *gasp* know about headphones?

Honestly I think this is good. You don't have to buy them, and saying that AKG's quality will decrease because of these is plain stupid. On the other hand, an expansion of the headphone market can lead to lower prices, although I think this effect will be minimal.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #95 of 517

Quote:
Oh how I love the smell of napalm hipocrisy. When we were still ok to discuss the Beats, before the big Beats call-out thread got closed, the main idea on everyone's mind was: this kind of celebrity endorsement is good, it works, it made the headphone market shoot and become bigger than it had ever been. If only more serious brands would understand this, they wouldn't be in the ditch they are now.

What happens? Literally, word-by-word what pretty much everyone said they wanted. AKG contacted a DJ and they're releasing Tiesto headphones. Head-Fi's reaction? Crossing AKG off the list of respectful companies. Yes, God forbid these audiophile companies stop selling to a niche of demanding customers and actually expand to bring quality sound to much more people! No please, don't appeal to the masses! We like being specia! Can you imagine a future where people actually *gasp* know about headphones?

Honestly I think this is good. You don't have to buy them, and saying that AKG's quality will decrease because of these is plain stupid. On the other hand, an expansion of the headphone market can lead to lower prices, although I think this effect will be minimal.

I think the problem is that it's AKG, which isn't exactly known for making headphones that would be marketable to the mass market. There isn't as much backlash at all about Beyerdynamic's new consumer-friendly headphones because, well, the DT770 which they're based on is a sensible headphone for potential Beats fans to buy. AKG is liked around here for the K240, K340, K4/5XX, K701, and K1000. None of those would be considered by the typical modern-music listener. AKG probably realizes this, and made a new headphone for this purpose that is completely unlike the headphones that we love, which is why we're less than excited for it. 

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #96 of 517
They have the K518, which although never got much love here, is a good budget bass can. It's just an example, but the point is, they're just as capable of producing a mass-market pair of headphones as anyone else. They're AKG, it's not like they're new to this industry. Everything and anything we've said about their headphones, they probably already know. Now, are you the kind of gentleman to produce a link to this Beyer creation you mentioned?

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #97 of 517

Quote:

Well that was...cynical.

Let me first respond by saying this, just so you don't get the wrong idea on my view on AKG: My next pair of cans are to be the Q701's. I've heard/read tons of great things about AKG and done my research; they're a solid company with quality 'phones. I'm not crossing them off my list because of this celebrity endorsement thing.

On another quick note, I only posted a couple times in the Beats thread before it was closed, so I never really got the feel of everyone's opinion on the matter. Over the past week, I've been reading through the entire thread, and understand the consensus now. I never thought of the idea of celebrity endorsements through 'more professional' audio companies, but it does make quite a lot of sense.

Now, in my past a page back, I went a teensy bit off-topic with my arguement about Tïesto and Daft Punk, but at the end, I said that I'm not feeling too hot towards these particular AKG headphones because I think Tïesto is a sell-out. And that's the reason I'm not terribly happy about him getting his own headphone. Now that I think about it, Dre really sold the fack out starting with his endorsement with Monster. Now am I saying that AKG will go down the same road as Monster because of a big-name celebrity endorsement? No, not at all. AKG is already established as a terrific audio company, and will most certainly stay that way. I'm not condemning the company, I'm just not all for these Tïesto cans, again, because he's a sell-out. He was once a very respectable Trance DJ and producer, and now panders to the lowest common denominator: mainstream Electro-Pop (Kinda like Dre, except with the Hip-Hop genre).

TL;DR: I don't hate/condemn AKG for these new headphones. I just don't like the idea of another sell-out music artist endorsing headphones that probably aren't worth their price.

Apr 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #98 of 517
Quote:
Now, are you the kind of gentleman to produce a link to this Beyer creation you mentioned?

It's this one, unless I'm mistaken: http://www.head-fi.org/t/601880/beyerdynamic-releases-new-headphones

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #99 of 517
I'm pretty stoked about these new headphones.  I've been listening to Tiesto since 1998, but I haven't kept up with his recent stuff.  He plays regularly in my hometown, and I've never gone to see him.  I gave up on checking out my favorite electronic DJs and producers in the last few years because I just got tired of all the cocaine, prostitution, and MTV culture messin up the scene.  But I guess the scene was only strong here for a few months, long ago.  I like music, and I like gear.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM Post #101 of 517

Quote:
They have the K518, which although never got much love here, is a good budget bass can. It's just an example, but the point is, they're just as capable of producing a mass-market pair of headphones as anyone else. They're AKG, it's not like they're new to this industry. Everything and anything we've said about their headphones, they probably already know. Now, are you the kind of gentleman to produce a link to this Beyer creation you mentioned?

Well that released was after the Harman takeover, which was after AKG made most of the headphones in my "loved" list and therefore was made during AKG's "fall from grace." 

And yeah the link was posted above. I forgot to check back on this thread. 

Apr 7, 2012 at 3:38 PM Post #102 of 517

Quote:

Agreed. But this is Head Fi , where striving for the inverse of popular can just be as addictive.

Apr 7, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #103 of 517
I have no issues with being labelled as an hipster. 
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back