New AKG Headphones "By Tiësto"
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #76 of 517
Pretty sure V-MODA isn't in the celebrity endorsement thing... The custom shields just let you put anything you want on it. Endorse yourself, kind of thing.
Put it that way, if Tiesto does want endorsement he'd have to go elsewhere. AKG he reached, and that is the 'new' by Harman.

Doesn't mean it's going to end up bad. And as far as I am concerned, AKG's "celebrity endorsed" headphones do not cost more than their original counterpart. This fact alone puts it on a whole different retail mindset from beats, which don't have original counterparts but we can all agree costs way more than the sound is worth. The Adidas themed Sennheisers also gained quite some weight in dollar tags; now that is worh bashing. But if these new Tiesto stuff are complete originals, THEN we can judge if he price and name are all but shameful marketing.

And while I doubt it, the switch may be a physical knob changing the size of vent separating cup from baffle. Nothing like a proper EQ but not without effects if not subtle.

And really guys, that's quite a lot of bashing and bad mouthing for something we've yet to actually hear. If its something visual, well you've seen pictures, talk about it as much as you want but auto-branding as bad please refrain.

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #77 of 517
Pretty sure Val is celebrity 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
Pretty sure V-MODA isn't in the celebrity endorsement thing... The custom shields just let you put anything you want on it. Endorse yourself, kind of thing.
Put it that way, if Tiesto does want endorsement he'd have to go elsewhere. AKG he reached, and that is the 'new' by Harman.
Doesn't mean it's going to end up bad. And as far as I am concerned, AKG's "celebrity endorsed" headphones do not cost more than their original counterpart. This fact alone puts it on a whole different retail mindset from beats, which don't have original counterparts but we can all agree costs way more than the sound is worth. The Adidas themed Sennheisers also gained quite some weight in dollar tags; now that is worh bashing. But if these new Tiesto stuff are complete originals, THEN we can judge if he price and name are all but shameful marketing.
And while I doubt it, the switch may be a physical knob changing the size of vent separating cup from baffle. Nothing like a proper EQ but not without effects if not subtle.
And really guys, that's quite a lot of bashing and bad mouthing for something we've yet to actually hear. If its something visual, well you've seen pictures, talk about it as much as you want but auto-branding as bad please refrain.

Apr 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #79 of 517
My thoughts exactly. I don't know why people find Deadmau5 music special for starters though.

same here. he's like another daft punk. few good songs but too over-praised.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:34 PM Post #80 of 517

Quote:
same here. he's like another daft punk. few good songs but too over-praised.

Woah hey woah woah hey.

Lemme think of the best way to...approach this. Ok.

Tïesto used to be a Trance god, called DJ Tïesto. From the late 90's to the early-mid 00's, DJ Tïesto was cranking glorious, purified Trance tunes out like clockwork. He even played live for the opening ceremony of the 2004 Summer Olympics, making him the first DJ to have ever done anything like that. It was sort of a big deal. After that, however, he sold the fack out and now panders to the mainstream crowd with a large assortment of popular guest pop acts at his disposal. I despise hm now, but Parade of the Athletes? Great stuff. One the other hand, a lot of people just don't like Trance. Too boring/repetitive/etc. I get that.

Daft Punk on the other hand, in my opinion, deserve every bit of fame they have (except maybe those Monster headphones they have in their name...). They nearly single-handedly created the Disco/Funk-House sub-genre of electronica, and consistently show the hard work they put into each album. You could argue that they are not the most prolific electronica act, with a mere 6 albums under their belt (that does include the 1997 live album...kind of a stretch, I know). The matter of the fact, however, if that the duo has reached the mainstream audience with little to no sign of selling out. Now, on that point, you could argue: "Hey, no, wait, they totally sold out with that Tron thing and their appearance in DJ Hero." To which I would answer yes and no. Yes, the sort of sold out by simply being associated with those things, but look at what they contributed. Half-arsed remixes? Collaborations with pop stars? No, they worked hard to compile completely new songs and arrangements that clearly took a large amount of time and effort.

TL;DR: I disagree with your statement and believe Daft Punk to be a rather classic, important, and talented electonica act.

OT: If you read my paragraph about Tïesto, you might get a feeling how I feel about these headphones. This feels like Tïesto just jumping on the bandwagon of music-celebrity endorsed headphones, with the appearance/marketing of being high-end and 'the best,' when they are actually just overpriced because of the name behind them.

Phew.

Apr 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #81 of 517

Quote:

Woah hey woah woah hey.

Lemme think of the best way to...approach this. Ok.

Tïesto used to be a Trance god, called DJ Tïesto. From the late 90's to the early-mid 00's, DJ Tïesto was cranking glorious, purified Trance tunes out like clockwork. He even played live for the opening ceremony of the 2004 Summer Olympics, making him the first DJ to have ever done anything like that. It was sort of a big deal. After that, however, he sold the fack out and now panders to the mainstream crowd with a large assortment of popular guest pop acts at his disposal. I despise hm now, but Parade of the Athletes? Great stuff. One the other hand, a lot of people just don't like Trance. Too boring/repetitive/etc. I get that.

Daft Punk on the other hand, in my opinion, deserve every bit of fame they have (except maybe those Monster headphones they have in their name...). They nearly single-handedly created the Disco/Funk-House sub-genre of electronica, and consistently show the hard work they put into each album. You could argue that they are not the most prolific electronica act, with a mere 6 albums under their belt (that does include the 1997 live album...kind of a stretch, I know). The matter of the fact, however, if that the duo has reached the mainstream audience with little to no sign of selling out. Now, on that point, you could argue: "Hey, no, wait, they totally sold out with that Tron thing and their appearance in DJ Hero." To which I would answer yes and no. Yes, the sort of sold out by simply being associated with those things, but look at what they contributed. Half-arsed remixes? Collaborations with pop stars? No, they worked hard to compile completely new songs and arrangements that clearly took a large amount of time and effort.

TL;DR: I disagree with your statement and believe Daft Punk to be a rather classic, important, and talented electonica act.

OT: If you read my paragraph about Tïesto, you might get a feeling how I feel about these headphones. This feels like Tïesto just jumping on the bandwagon of music-celebrity endorsed headphones, with the appearance/marketing of being high-end and 'the best,' when they are actually just overpriced because of the name behind them.

Phew.

beerchug.gif

I wasn't aware that Tïesto was the first DJ to ever play at the Olympics opening, that came as a surprise to me.

And I definitely agree with your remarks on Daft Punk, they did indeed open up what used to be a relatively niche genre to a much larger group of people.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:16 PM Post #82 of 517
Can't wait for the purple T701!  I heard them at a store and they sound amazing!  Phattiest bass I ever heard it's leaps and bounds better than the Quincy Line! 

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #83 of 517

Quote:

Well put. I completely agree, though I consider Tiesto to be more techno than trance.

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #84 of 517

Quote:

On the other hand, a lot of people just don't like Trance. Too boring/repetitive/etc. I get that.

I actually really enjoy Trance from time to time. I find it way less repetitive than say, your run in the mill electro house that you hear in a club / rave. That stuff is just mind numbingly boring for something I'm supposed to dance to. I agree with your thoughts on Daft Punk to a certain degree. They certainly have delivered, but only a few songs get any recognition.

Apr 5, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #85 of 517

Quote:
I guess not some Tiesto Vmodas would have been siiicckk though!! I wonder if Vmoda is gonna bring an artist on I think an great artist to bring in that would sell like crazy would be Deadmau5

Been great friends w Tijs (Tiesto) and Joel (Deadmau5) over the years... Great for them, hope they are good, I can't wait to try and test! But you can see we've gone different direction with "customs" to let EVERYBODY be unique. Its cool... more people will buy headphones and it helps us all.

Miss hanging w Tijs though, we had some great times!  Paul Oakenfold set up us to do dinner a long time ago, and we became quite great friends for years. So many memories!

coin flip 

Hard Rock Rehab w our trusted HDJ-2000s during LP tuning, couldn't use protos until it was better!

Apr 5, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #86 of 517
Val, why don't you put up a list of your cans or list them on your profile? I'd be very interested to see just how many cans you have on your "world record" list. I don't expect anything as large as WertherDVX's collection, but I love to see Head-Fi'ers with big collections under their belt.

Apr 5, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #87 of 517

Quote:
Here's an HD crop of the headphone shown earlier.

The center silver ring seems to be a selector. Choices are "Studio", "Club" and "Stage". I wonder what it does.

My guess is that it controls some kind of air port allowing the headphones to be closed, semi-closed or "open" which would control isolation and sonic qualities.  Hard to tell if this would work well or just muck things up.  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Apr 5, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #88 of 517
Thanks for the reply Val much respect taking a different route from other companies!! Love how customizable V-modas are and how they represent each person individually really excited to see the new models, just bought m80s can't wait for the m100 release 

Quote:
Been great friends w Tijs (Tiesto) and Joel (Deadmau5) over the years... Great for them, hope they are good, I can't wait to try and test! But you can see we've gone different direction with "customs" to let EVERYBODY be unique. Its cool... more people will buy headphones and it helps us all.

Miss hanging w Tijs though, we had some great times!  Paul Oakenfold set up us to do dinner a long time ago, and we became quite great friends for years. So many memories!

coin flip 

Hard Rock Rehab w our trusted HDJ-2000s during LP tuning, couldn't use protos until it was better!

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #90 of 517

Quote:
Here's an HD crop of the headphone shown earlier.

*snip*

The center silver ring seems to be a selector. Choices are "Studio", "Club" and "Stage". I wonder what it does.

Probably similar to what the K181's "Club" switch does. It's not a new concept for AKG, so I'd assume it's at least decent since they've had years to improve upon it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back