NEW! Aiaiai TMA-1 Studio
Jun 13, 2012 at 12:05 AM Post #32 of 168
Quote:
I think they are showing the FR curves to show that the new PU foam pads are a great improvement over the past pleather pads. The mids ~800 Hz are much smoother with the new pads, without the huge valley there. Also the treble rolloff is shown to be much less significant.

But just looking at the new pads FR curve, a few danger signs are quite glaring:

1) massive bass rolloff starting at 100 Hz; typically you'd want the roll-off not to be significant until at least 40 or maybe 50 Hz. Ideally not until 30 Hz.

2) Big -15 dB valley in the upper mids / lower treble region (2.5kHz); this will undoubtedly cause the voicing of the headphones to be "boxy" / tinny, and unnatural.

3) 10 dB difference between middle treble and upper treble; this would cause treble detail to sound overly sibilant and grainy without much sparkle.

Of course, this is all based on their FR curve. What amps they used, how they measured the FR, and whether / how they adjusted it to human perceived levels is up in the air still.

Woahhhh, pro disection of an FR curve right here. 
popcorn.gif
beerchug.gif
 was pretty cool readin this haha. Deadly 

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #33 of 168
Quote:
I've had to burn in my M50's for about 80 hours for them to settle into something normal.

When I fist got them, the treble actually hurt my ears, as it was too sharp, and the bass felt 'loose' and weak. As I burned them in over a few nights, the treble calmed down a bit, and smoothened out, and the Bass also settled into a good fit with the rest of the sound, and felt more 'tight'.

I believe in burn-in, so I will burn in my Studio while I decide on a few songs to A/B compare them to my M50's with.

Ummm.. you do that for 80 hours. I'd rather work for that long and collect a paycheck. My M50s sounded GREAT when I demoed them new out of the box before I bought them at Guitar Center.

To be clear again, I think these TMA-1 Studio 'phones are worthless for the R&B/Hip-hop genre.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #34 of 168
Quote:

Ummm.. you do that for 80 hours. I'd rather work for that long and collect a paycheck. My M50s sounded GREAT when I demoed them new out of the box before I bought them at Guitar Center.

To be clear again, I think these TMA-1 Studio 'phones are worthless for the R&B/Hip-hop genre.

Did I ever say I was listening to them for 80 hours myself? No - I said I burned them in. I also work - please don't insult people on the inernet just because of your anonymity. It's stupid. (Hypocritical, I know.) Why are you getting so defensive?

Point is, my pair (white box) took a while to settle down - I left them burning in for around 80 hours total, overnight over a few nights, and they sounded much better once I put them on and tried them afterwards - at the time, I had been listening to no other headphones.

Either way, I don't listen to much R&B, but the original TMA-1's sounded great with hip hop.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #35 of 168
Quote:
Woahhhh, pro disection of an FR curve right here. 
popcorn.gif
beerchug.gif
 was pretty cool readin this haha. Deadly 

I can say these are no studio headphones, these make me sad because the design is fantastic but its the dang veil that is keeping a ok sounding headphone from being something truly great, if they would just fix it they could have a denon d2000 killer. I will not call them a bad headphone by any means, but its a big missed opportunity.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM Post #36 of 168
Quote:
Did I ever say I was listening to them for 80 hours myself? No - I said I burned them in. I also work - please don't insult people on the inernet just because of your anonymity. It's stupid. (Hypocritical, I know.) Why are you getting so defensive?

Point is, my pair (white box) took a while to settle down - I left them burning in for around 80 hours total, overnight over a few nights, and they sounded much better once I put them on and tried them afterwards - at the time, I had been listening to no other headphones.

Either way, I don't listen to much R&B, but the original TMA-1's sounded great with hip hop.

This is the point I made all along. I'm not getting defensive, but you did. I initially just offered my impressions then I got responses back to "burn" them in. I just refuted all that nonsense. They sound good to you? Great. They suck for R&B/Hip-hop, which you admittedly have nothing to add there.

Jun 13, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #37 of 168
Quote:

This is the point I made all along. I'm not getting defensive, but you did. I initially just offered my impressions then I got responses back to "burn" them in. I just refuted all that nonsense. They sound good to you? Great. They suck for R&B/Hip-hop, which you admittedly have nothing to add there.

Alright, Alright - I submit on the R&B, as I don't listen to it, but I did like the originals with Hip Hop, which we have both listened to. Hence my responses.

You did have 14 days to give it a chance though - but if they sounded so bad to you that you returned them on the first day - I'll believe you.

Arguing on the Internet is like the special Olympics. Nobody really wins.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #41 of 168
Quote:
The whole "I can't burn in, I have a job" wins the award for dumbest thing I've read today.

Must have been the only thing you've read then.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:47 AM Post #44 of 168
Quote:
I don't want too be involved in a internet fight because its silly, but It dose stand out as something you just have too laugh at.

The only thing really funny is how negative impressions (not directed at anyone personal) incites mob mentality on the Internet. It's quite the repeatable process and more hilarious to me than anything else in this thread.

Jun 13, 2012 at 1:57 AM Post #45 of 168
Oh, I forgot to mention the other thing I don't like about these headphones. The beefy looking ear pads, while very cool looking, provide little to no isolation. You would think that by the way the cups are designed you would hear minimal leakage. There's sound leaking all over the place with these. The whole package is misleading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back