NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 13, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #2,806 of 2,884
Hi,
Can someone please clarify, what are the best replacement pads for these headphones without doing the grill mod, the Focus-A?
Also, which is the best reasonably priced replacement cable?

Thanks
For ear pads the Focus-A or regular Focus would be my top choices but since the QC of these are not the best lately I would look at the Ori pads or Alpha pads.

As for cables your reasonable price might be cheap or expensive to someone else. I'm going to assume you have the 2.5mm jacks so there are quite a few to choose from, if you can do some soldering then I would suggest just buying the parts and build your own, if not check on Amazon or Ebay for HD700 cables since these will also work.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #2,807 of 2,884
Hi,
Can someone please clarify, what are the best replacement pads for these headphones without doing the grill mod, the Focus-A?
Also, which is the best reasonably priced replacement cable?

Thanks
I just bought my HE-400S last week used and it came with both the stock and Focuspads. At this point, I'd say it's almost a toss up for me between the two. On the one hand, the Focuspads definitely bring greater bass definition and extension. But since I listen to mainly acoustic/vocal/orchestral music, I tend to value natural timbre and airiness very highly. On those points, I'd say that the stock pads pull slightly ahead, which makes sense, because they're the pads the phones were presumably tuned with. Looking at published measurements, including those published by Wirecutter (I know . . . ), it does seem that the Focuspads do impact the treble a bit. All in all, though, it's nice to have both options so I can switch from day to day or even genre to genre, though swapping the pads does take a couple of minutes. And if they had only come with one or the other, I probably could have been perfectly satisfied with either.

Jul 22, 2017 at 1:57 PM Post #2,808 of 2,884
When I compared the 400S to 400i it was obvious (for me) that 400i is slightly more detailed, faster and finely textured headphone throughout the frequency range. The difference is not night and day (and it shouldn't be) and it is up to buyer to decide whether the price difference is justified or not. For me it was no-brainer. Neither the differrence between 400i and 560 is "day and night" large. In many aspects it is quite subtle actually.
When you said this the 400i was a lot more than the 400S. Now they are basically the same price, or the 400i is actually a little cheaper. Would that change your opinion about which is better?

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #2,811 of 2,884
I see people commenting on how it looks to be wearing these...

Do people really put on their various cans and then find a mirror to see how they look in them? If so, why? (Just curious... :wink:
Never understood this... Are headphones for music, or are they fashion?

Probably why there are very few females interested in headphones

Aug 2, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #2,813 of 2,884
Massdrop is dropping the new HE4XX in collaboration with HiFiMAN tomorrow at US$169. The exact driver it will incorporate is unknown and neither HiFiMAN nor Massdrop are willing to disclose this information. But it is likely the HE400i, given that the given impedance and sensitivity match exactly. They come pre-bundled with Focus-A pads. I know this isn't exactly the HE400s, but it might still be useful information for this thread. Here's a link to the drop.

Nov 8, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #2,814 of 2,884
I've had my pair for several months now. After awhile an upper mid elevation began to wear on me a bit, and I went back to AKG 7XX for a few weeks. When I went back to the 400S again I realized what I like about the 7XX, very neutral, but maybe a little too much. So I became interested in improving the 400S sound in my system, reading about pads, amp/dac combos, and the Loki here on Head-Fi. I have not read this entire thread yet...is there a way to search a specific thread?

My current headphone amp/dac is the integrated ODAC/O2, using it on windows and mac systems. I'll need seperates to get a Loki in there.

So first step was to migrate from Tidal listening back to JRiver and lossless rips of a large CD collection, using the EQ function which sounds transparent to my ear. That was an amazing difference, the 400S was cooking with gas now. I did 4 curves from a wee bit warmer to full on warmer, and -1db @ 6k on each, and change balance depending on recording balance. JRiver allows volume difference adjustments for each curve which allows A-B comparisons EQ / no EQ that are more or less level balanced.

I like the comfort of the H400S stock pads, and the roll off was fixed exactly to my taste with the EQ. I did order a pair of Brainwavz angled pads and mounting rings, got the rings in OK, but did not successfully mount to the cans as yet. I gave up trying after a few minutes, plus since the pads really don't fit the rings this mod feels too kludgy to me. I think I'm going to return the Brainwavz. I suppose the Focus A pads are an obvious next try.

I see Massdrop has a Dekoni pad drop going, they appear to fit the round HiFiMans easily and be good quality...anyone using these?

And then eventually I'll try the Loki too. I may not like it as well as JRiver's 10 band EQ, but then I will be able to listen to Tidal with EQ also.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #2,815 of 2,884
@treecloud , use a credit card or other stiff thin plastic card to help you get the pads on and off the headphone:
HE400i-pads-mount.jpg
Get two of the tabs in and use the credit card to gently push in the other 2 while applying some downward pressure on the ear pad. To remove the ear pads use the credit card to help in-hooking the tabs.

You can also use some attenuation rings made from card stock or hanging folder to help tune the bass:
Attenuation Rings.jpg
Need to experiment with this to your liking.

Nov 23, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #2,817 of 2,884
How often do these go on sale? Surprised there isn't more discussion since some people thought they performed a bit better than the HD600s.

Also debating between the K7XX and these to try out planar headphones. Usually I'm a sparkly treble and soundstage kind of guy.

Nov 23, 2017 at 7:25 AM Post #2,818 of 2,884
Both my Focus and Focus A pads cover disintegrated after a long hibernation crossover to 2 channels listening.

During 11.11. Sale.Chance upon a pair of hybrid leather and pleather pad specifically produce for hifiman 400 & 500 range. The built is better then Focus range especially the plastic ring. Its twice as thick and solid then original.

Sounded good and feel cooler on the ear. Bought around est US$29 in Aliex.

Nov 23, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #2,819 of 2,884
Both my Focus and Focus A pads cover disintegrated after a long hibernation crossover to 2 channels listening.

During 11.11. Sale.Chance upon a pair of hybrid leather and pleather pad specifically produce for hifiman 400 & 500 range. The built is better then Focus range especially the plastic ring. Its twice as thick and solid then original.

Sounded good and feel cooler on the ear. Bought around est US$29 in Aliex.

Could you elaborate a bit more what exactly I should search for one Aliex?

Nov 23, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #2,820 of 2,884
Search "Black Sheepskin HIFIman"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back