NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jun 18, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #2,491 of 2,884

Thanks!

I don't know what the non-linear thing is, but if it fixes the imbalance issue then I'd much rather have the Teac over the other Schiit. Also, the Teac has balanced pre-outs, and I've always wanted to try a balanced setup. Would the Teac's XLR pre-outs work in that configuration of connecting HE-400s straight to Teac via XLR and being properly driven? If not, I could still utilize the preamp for some desktop monitors, and/or buying a separate amp later if I want a balanced balanced headphone setup. If I had to guess, the preamps cannot drive headphones, otherwise why would people need balanced headphone amps... 

Non-liner means that the volume pot does not increase in volume at a liner rate.

The XLR balanced output is to connect to a balanced amp that has L&R 3 pin XLR jacks like this:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1AMP/NFB1AMP4.JPG

Jun 25, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #2,492 of 2,884
"Planar Magnetic headphones and a Pacemaker?"

I am scheduled to get a cardiac pacemaker Friday. I have read some articles that warn of issues with magnets even from small earbuds. The most common theme I've found is to keep magnet(s) more than 3 cm (1.3") from the device.

I will ask the cardiac surgeon and pacemaker rep to give me some current professional guidance....................... but...................... wondered about the size / magnetic field of 'planar magnetic' hp compared to other hp?

Surely there are others on Head-Fi who have pacemakers and still use headphones!

Jun 25, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #2,493 of 2,884

I am scheduled to get a cardiac pacemaker Friday. I have read some articles that warn of issues with magnets even from small earbuds. The most common theme I've found is to keep magnet(s) more than 3 cm (1.3") from the device.

I will ask the cardiac surgeon and pacemaker rep to give me some current professional guidance....................... but...................... wondered about the size / magnetic field of 'planar magnetic' hp compared to other hp?

Surely there are others on Head-Fi who have pacemakers and still use headphones!

I have a pacemaker and can assure you to not worry about the affects of headphones etc.  Just keep anything magnetic away from the pacemaker - which means the headphones are fine on your head but should not be taken down to rest on your shoulders.

I was told not to use a chainsaw as the nasty signals from the spark plug would interfere.  However the Sthil chainsaw I have is a new one and gives no problems.  I was also advised not to mess around with petrol engines (diesels OK) for the same reason but that is no problem for me as I'm no amateur mechanic.

We are all different so improvements after the pacemaker varies.  Personally I did not find it made me "new man" with heaps of returned energy but one cannot expect too much at aged 80!!!

Best of luck. It is a very painless procedure.   Feel free to PM me off board if there is anything else I can help you with.  But as for headphone listening etc, you can completely relax.

Jun 25, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #2,494 of 2,884
Could be your excuse to buy Staxs. Lol. Double check but they don't use a magnetic field, it's electrostatic.Not sure if that's any safer, I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything.

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #2,495 of 2,884
  I have a pacemaker and can assure you to not worry about the affects of headphones etc.  Just keep anything magnetic away from the pacemaker - which means the headphones are fine on your head but should not be taken down to rest on your shoulders.

I was told not to use a chainsaw as the nasty signals from the spark plug would interfere.  However the Sthil chainsaw I have is a new one and gives no problems.  I was also advised not to mess around with petrol engines (diesels OK) for the same reason but that is no problem for me as I'm no amateur mechanic.

We are all different so improvements after the pacemaker varies.  Personally I did not find it made me "new man" with heaps of returned energy but one cannot expect too much at aged 80!!!

Best of luck. It is a very painless procedure.   Feel free to PM me off board if there is anything else I can help you with.  But as for headphone listening etc, you can completely relax.

Thanks for the reply, TD!

I use HM 400S and have just got them sounding pretty good. I will double check with the rep from the pacemaker manufacturer and Dr. Friday when I get this thing implanted.

I appreciate your experience!

Take care

It was quite a surprise when I had a hospital stay this week for an unrelated issue and they wanted to pop in a pacemaker!

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #2,496 of 2,884

Thanks for the reply, TD!

I use HM 400S and have just got them sounding pretty good. I will double check with the rep from the pacemaker manufacturer and Dr. Friday when I get this thing implanted.

I appreciate your experience!

Take care

It was quite a surprise when I had a hospital stay this week for an unrelated issue and they wanted to pop in a pacemaker!

I hav

LOL, I had the same experience.  All set for dental implants and the anaesthetist refused to go ahead because of a slow heart beat.  Next thing I knew I was in the emergency ward of the nearby hospital!!!

Relax about using the 400S - they have not even caused a pacemaker murmur since I bought them.  About all you have to be careful of is to not put any item with a magnet in your top left pocket - and that includes any portables with speakers.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #2,497 of 2,884
Anyone sells 400s grill mod?

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #2,498 of 2,884
Anyone sells 400s grill mod?

I haven't seen anyone selling the grills but they are not that hard to make and I don't know if they will benefit the HE-400S as much as the older HE-400i/560 that have a backing plate in back of the drivers.  Also, depending on the environment where you are you might also want to have some form of dust protection, I've been using silk organza which is a very fine fabric that keeps dust and hair out quite well.  This is a picture of my HE-560 and HE-400i with the grill mod:

Jul 9, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #2,499 of 2,884
Getting great sound from these and the new Dragonfly Red.

Great pairing as has been mentioned previously mentioned in this thread.

Jul 11, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #2,500 of 2,884
i got the 400s a few days ago and have been comparing vs hd600 w/ schiit stack, and i am returning the 400s.. the 400s has better soundstage no doubt, tighter/punchier bass, but hd600 is superior everywhere else imo, almost every track i listened to i preferred the hd600.. and the hd600 was cheaper too ($250 vs $300).. ive been looking for a complement to the hd600, maybe it is time to try closed back like sine/pm3 because im thinking hd600 is a hard to beat open back for <$500

Jul 11, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #2,502 of 2,884
  i got the 400s a few days ago and have been comparing vs hd600 w/ schiit stack, and i am returning the 400s.. the 400s has better soundstage no doubt, tighter/punchier bass, but hd600 is superior everywhere else imo, almost every track i listened to i preferred the hd600.. and the hd600 was cheaper too ($250 vs $300).. ive been looking for a complement to the hd600, maybe it is time to try closed back like sine/pm3 because im thinking hd600 is a hard to beat open back for <$500

I think your current audio chain as listed in your signature (modi2/vali2) was designed around the HD-600, that is not a system I would use for the HE-400S or most other planar headphones.

Jul 12, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #2,503 of 2,884

Is the HE400S brand new? If so it need to break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back