NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jun 13, 2016 at 6:05 AM Post #2,461 of 2,884
Can anybody recommend a better cable to go with the 400s?
Bought mine off eBay, love them, but the black & white cable I do not like at all, plus it is fraying at the connection to the ear cups.
Using one of the two cables that came with my Nighthawk (the thin one) but I actually seem to notice that the sound is (or seems to be!) a little sharper/less smooth.
So if anybody has found an alternative cable that is nicer than the horrible black & white (as in stiff and thick and just plain unpleasant to have to accommodate)( then I would really appreciate any detail you might have. Thanks.
Be well.

Jun 13, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #2,462 of 2,884
Bought mine off eBay, love them, but the black & white cable I do not like at all, plus it is fraying at the connection to the ear cups.
Using one of the two cables that came with my Nighthawk (the thin one) but I actually seem to notice that the sound is (or seems to be!) a little sharper/less smooth.
So if anybody has found an alternative cable that is nicer than the horrible black & white (as in stiff and thick and just plain unpleasant to have to accommodate)( then I would really appreciate any detail you might have. Thanks.
Be well.

Bought mine off ebay for $30ish, from some random seller in China

Just search for "Sennheiser HD 700 replacement cable"

Hope this helps :)

Jun 13, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #2,463 of 2,884
Be well.

As said, any HD700 cable will do as well as Nighthawk ones (all 2.5mm). There are dozens of HD700 cables out there on e-bay and amazon, however I prefer something that can be custom built to fit my needs - length, colour, sleeving, etc.

Depends on where you're from but there are quite a few great family-owned businesses that make those kind of cables - @Matez with Forza Audioworks is my personal preference, he's made me cables for my 400S and 400i specifically and you can tailor them to your needs. They are very soft, fantastically built and look great (mine are purple, for example).

He's based off of Europe but he ships internationally, though if you're not very keen on (potentially) higher shipping fees/travel time there's other people who craft cool cables in the US like Bestintheverse, Norne Audio (very pricey for $300 headphones though), etc.

Enjoy your headphones, the stock cable does suck but they are very very good.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #2,464 of 2,884
Many thanks for the helpful suggestions; really appreciate them.
A nicer looking/feeling cable would be excellent, but also one that is suited to the 400s and will match its sound signature. I hate the stock cable, but was surprised that when using the Nighthawk cable I actually immediately noticed a difference in sound quality - for the negative.
So yes, looks, feel in use and sound that 'matches' the 400s - this will be what I try to find.
Be well.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #2,465 of 2,884

He's based off of Europe but he ships internationally, though if you're not very keen on (potentially) higher shipping fees/travel time there's other people who craft cool cables in the US like Bestintheverse, Norne Audio (very pricey for $300 headphones though), etc.

I ordered from Bestintheverse over a month ago and don't have my cable yet.  On his site it says 1-2 weeks but for me it's been more like 6 weeks.  The cable should be arriving this week sometime so I'll let you know how i like it.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #2,466 of 2,884
Be well.

I have currently 2 upgraded cables that is better then stock. Both are mogami cable. W2447 to W2552 which is better. W2534( neglex series OFC)is yet to be collected.

Next month I will be receiving an 8 core pure silver Litz.

Jun 13, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #2,467 of 2,884
Many thanks for the helpful suggestions; really appreciate them.
A nicer looking/feeling cable would be excellent, but also one that is suited to the 400s and will match its sound signature. I hate the stock cable, but was surprised that when using the Nighthawk cable I actually immediately noticed a difference in sound quality - for the negative.
So yes, looks, feel in use and sound that 'matches' the 400s - this will be what I try to find.
Be well.

Personally the only perceived difference between the stock cable and the FAW cable I use for my 2.5mm headphones was some increased tightness in the bass and sub-bass, maybe that wasn't the only difference but that was what I noticed after swapping - the cable feels and looks so nice that I haven't bothered AB testing them.

If you e-mail Matt I'm sure he'd be willing to help you find a cable that fits your needs, he's super professional and a very nice guy.

I ordered from Bestintheverse over a month ago and don't have my cable yet.  On his site it says 1-2 weeks but for me it's been more like 6 weeks.  The cable should be arriving this week sometime so I'll let you know how i like it.

Personally never ordered from him myself (doesn't ship to Europe) but everything I've read/heard about him has been good, hence my mention of him. His cables do look nice though.

Jun 13, 2016 at 3:15 PM Post #2,468 of 2,884
Be well.

We offer various options at difference prices on our website:
http://www.plussoundaudio.com

PlusSound Stay updated on PlusSound at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/plusSound/ https://twitter.com/plussoundaudio http://plussoundaudio.com/
Jun 14, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #2,469 of 2,884
Ok. So. I wanted more highs, and more detail. I wanted a less warm sound. Essentially, I fell out of love with my HE400S.

NOT any more!

Welcome, ZMF Lambskin pads. The HE400S has never sounded so smooth, detailed, or less muddy, while still retaining bass impact, while not exactly as bass heavy as the FocusPads. They do require a little bit of porting but they retain sub-bass surprisingly well despite the porting. Also, despite not being nearly as warm, they still retain that amazing soundstage. 

If you have some lying around, give it a shot and let me know what you think of them.

Jun 14, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #2,470 of 2,884
Just ordered mine, should arrive in a few days, can't wait. Haven't ordered the Focus pads A yet but certainly will in a month or so, first want to get used to the sound of the stock pads.

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #2,471 of 2,884
  Ok. So. I wanted more highs, and more detail. I wanted a less warm sound. Essentially, I fell out of love with my HE400S.

NOT any more!

Welcome, ZMF Lambskin pads. The HE400S has never sounded so smooth, detailed, or less muddy, while still retaining bass impact, while not exactly as bass heavy as the FocusPads. They do require a little bit of porting but they retain sub-bass surprisingly well despite the porting. Also, despite not being nearly as warm, they still retain that amazing soundstage. 

If you have some lying around, give it a shot and let me know what you think of them.

The ZMF pads (all 3 iterations of them) are one of the few "big" leather pads I don't own yet - good to know they pair well with the 400S, may order some in the future then!

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #2,472 of 2,884

NOT any more!

Just curious, did you done the grill mod by taking out the fine cloth material?

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #2,473 of 2,884

NOT any more!

Is that you Nathan / snakeAtWar ? XD

Anyway, have you tried the grill mod yet ? I like the grill mod I did to mine, you can see them on the thread pics. It's the BvS thing, ugly but works in making a wide soundstage.

Using brainwavz angled pleather + grill mod for now is enough. Curious about the ZMF pads, but not to the point of getting one, bit too pricey with shipment etc to Indonesia for now  XD

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #2,474 of 2,884

The ZMF pads (all 3 iterations of them) are one of the few "big" leather pads I don't own yet - good to know they pair well with the 400S, may order some in the future then!

They saved my HE400S from the hell that is muddying up.

Just curious, did you done the grill mod by taking out the fine cloth material?

I haven't. I considered it but honestly there wasn't a huge difference to me even with the grills completely removed. VERY slight.

Is that you Nathan / snakeAtWar ? XD

Anyway, have you tried the grill mod yet ? I like the grill mod I did to mine, you can see them on the thread pics. It's the BvS thing, ugly but works in making a wide soundstage.

Using brainwavz angled pleather + grill mod for now is enough. Curious about the ZMF pads, but not to the point of getting one, bit too pricey with shipment etc to Indonesia for now  XD

Yup. It's me. I liked mine alright with the Angled Pleathers, but they still got muddy in busy songs. I HIGHLY recommend getting the ZMF Pads when you can. They sound WAY better than the Alpha Pads to me.

Somehow they are pretty bassy, but lack the warm sound the 400S are characterized by. The highs are significantly improved, and even more detailed but somehow avoid sibilance. I'm pretty blown away by them as they are now. These are my favorite fun cans now. They do everything pretty damn well with no major weaknesses, unlike before.

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #2,475 of 2,884

NOT any more!

That sounds like just likes a psychological difference. I would wait some more days of test before making such big difference statements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back