NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
May 23, 2016 at 3:35 PM Post #2,431 of 2,884
  I got a Mogami 10 foot extension cable for my 400i works nice and I do not hear any difference in sound. Got it for 71 dollars on Amazon. I have a question about the 400s. I have noticed that my 400i When plugged into my s7 volume is not that high. Even when turned up. Thinking about getting the 400s for playing with the s7. Does anyone know if it would be worth it? Thank you.

I would look at another source (DAP) like a Fiio X3ii instead of getting a second headphone.  Or do you need another headphone?  I don't use my HE-400i as a portable but my X3ii and older X3 drive them to fairly loud levels.

May 24, 2016 at 12:07 AM Post #2,433 of 2,884

I got a Mogami 10 foot extension cable for my 400i works nice and I do not hear any difference in sound. Got it for 71 dollars on Amazon. I have a question about the 400s. I have noticed that my 400i When plugged into my s7 volume is not that high. Even when turned up. Thinking about getting the 400s for playing with the s7. Does anyone know if it would be worth it? Thank you.

You may already know this, but just in case someone else that is reading might not; It has to do with Headphone impedance (ohms), 400i are claiming to be 35 ohms, but most reviewers say they are a tad bit harder to drive (older planar magnetic tech). Your s7 may not be powerful enough to fully drive your 400i headphones. 

The 400s are also planar (but newer tech) and are 22 ohms. I have not found anything that can't drive them. I bet my sons fisher price toys can power them. They get loud on everything i've tried. 

Thanks I have the HDJ2000 I use for the phone to listen at work. I work alone so I was looking at the 400s. The phone drives the 400i but does not have enough to be dynamic. So I'm thinking about getting rid of the Pioneers and getting the 400s. I'm also looking a DAPs I like the FIIO X7 but it is a bit pricey. But I do have the money to get it just thought the 400s and the s7 might save me some money.

May 24, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #2,436 of 2,884
I would rather keep my 400i at home because I absolutely love them. Might go ahead and get the 400s,listen to them on everything,then go from there and see if I need a better player. But my 400i well always be my fav. Of course I could get the 560 and use the 400i portable with a X7. The thing that makes it hard is I can't listen to them before I buy. I live in Texas 200 hundred miles from big towns. Most we have around here is Best Buy and they do not sell the tier headphones we are talking about. So I read ALL the reviews and anything else I can lay my eyes on. There are just to many good headphones in my price range LOL.

May 24, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #2,437 of 2,884
  I would rather keep my 400i at home because I absolutely love them. Might go ahead and get the 400s,listen to them on everything,then go from there and see if I need a better player. But my 400i well always be my fav. Of course I could get the 560 and use the 400i portable with a X7. The thing that makes it hard is I can't listen to them before I buy. I live in Texas 200 hundred miles from big towns. Most we have around here is Best Buy and they do not sell the tier headphones we are talking about. So I read ALL the reviews and anything else I can lay my eyes on. There are just to many good headphones in my price range LOL.

I'm like you, here in Hawaii only best buy, walmart and a few other stores that sell electrinics and they don't have much.  Almost all the headphones I have were bought without any audition.  I have been lucky to have a few friends who have a lot of headphones and hi-fi equipment in general, my good friend in Japan has been one of the guys I always talk to since he has so much gear, most of which I only dream of.

May 27, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #2,439 of 2,884
  Even in large mainland cities it can sometimes be difficult to find stores that will allow demo'ing of headphones. That's why I like amazon so much. Just buy two and return the one you don't like.

There is one problem with this approach, it has to be a amazon prime item from what I've experienced if you don't want to pay the return shipping for something that "you didn't care for", if its defective then there is no problem with returns.

May 27, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #2,440 of 2,884
  There is one problem with this approach, it has to be a amazon prime item from what I've experienced if you don't want to pay the return shipping for something that "you didn't care for", if its defective then there is no problem with returns.

that may be how it might work in Hawaii, but not the rest of the US.  You do not have to be prime to return something that did not meet your expectation, nor do you have to pay return freight.  

But they may put the hammer down if you order 3 things and use them and return 2.  Space them out though and no problemo.  I can imagine them putting their foot down if you do this frequently though.

Jun 2, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #2,443 of 2,884
Posted this up on the SONY A series thread but I thought it might also interest those of you lurking here too - hope this sort double posting does not upset anyone.

Well I am really surprised!!!

A Fiio E12A headphone amplifier just landed so I could not resist trying it out connected to my SONY A17 while it was charging.  I confess to having been a sceptic about any improvement to the AQ as the feed in is from analog out of the A17 so it made no sense that an amp could improve it.

Wrong.

The increase in air around the music really floored me AND the bass boost on the Fiio brought up the bottom end very nicely, much better than could be managed via the SONY custom controls.  And it was far better and more "alive" than similar music fed into Sennheiser HD650's from a highly modded Benchmark DAC1 with digital feed in from a Meridian server.

So, using the output to HiFiman HE400s has been a real ear opener.  I've yet to try it out on the SONY A25 but I've no doubt the same experience lies ahead with it.  And I'll fix up leads for the Sennheiser HD800 and see how that sounds.

Playing with these toys is such fun, particularly when you make an unexpected discovery!  And the AQ via a headphone setup like this is a tiny fraction of the thousands of dollars needed to get similar (and maybe not as good) AQ from amps and speakers.

Jun 2, 2016 at 3:45 AM Post #2,445 of 2,884
Just picked up a set of HE 400s's, not taken delivery yet.

Is there a benefit to changing the ear pads?

If YES, is there general consensus on a preferred option?

Many thanks,

Mooch

Focus pad A and take out the stock cloth behind the grill. Enjoy!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back