NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Aug 13, 2015 at 5:22 AM Post #1,216 of 2,884
conquerator, are those impressions for the modded HE 400S? How did you mount the Alpha Pads?

I'm not conquerator but putting on alpha pads was pretty easy. I took the rings from my older hifiman pads then put them in the alpha pads and aligned the clips to be at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock. Finally just align the clips to slots on the 400s and everything should work out.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Aug 13, 2015 at 7:28 AM Post #1,217 of 2,884
  Heya thanks for reading. In regards to your questions:

1) Yeah when I referred to the original he-400 I mean't the old blue model.
2) I would say the soundstage change is noticeable but for me I have tad of an issue discerning between soundstage width or depth. Personally I still don't have a major preference between the two. Both pads are good at what they do. The stock makes the sound super natural and airy while the alpha pads give the sound a darker and leaner bassier sound. So my cop out answer would be alpha pads with nice and bassy music and stock pads for most other genres.

I see, I think I will go to the Stock Pads instead since I really like my sound to be a bit airy and I think the bass on the Stock Pads should be plenty for me, but will soon try it with Alpha Pads if it will be available locally.

Thanks for answering my questions. 
L3000.gif

Aug 13, 2015 at 7:52 AM Post #1,218 of 2,884
  Great. I've been contemplating getting the HE400S as an entry level open can but I've gotten attached to my iDSD. To me it's phenomenal sonically and a great bargain.

It's the best amp/dac I've ever used. Better than Chord Hugo in my opinion.

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #1,220 of 2,884
We always have reasons to own several cans. There is no a single headphone that can fullfill everything. 400S has its own shortcomings. X2 for instance has airier soundstage and more solid bass. 

Its dificult, its more about you like.
No can can do everything very well.
Maybie he1000, orpheus, hd 800 and lcd3
come close to that but still not there :D

Aug 13, 2015 at 8:28 AM Post #1,221 of 2,884
There are good all-round headphones that get very close. In this price range there are X2, MA900, 400S, K7XX and the Senn 6XX series...
Further up, there is the 560, HE6, T1, Ether, HE1000 and others.
Lots of headphones can do well almost anything :)
Nothing is perfect though, especially when it is not the same for everyone :rolleyes:

+1

Aug 13, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #1,223 of 2,884
Thank you! I still have a few more questions about these in comparison to the X2s, please. I have had the x2s for a few months, although great headphones, i got bored of them and i am looking for a better replacement.
my problem with the x2 is the laid back sound and the missing energy in both bass and mids. Sometimes i have the feeling that there is a layer covering the music coming from the X2s, i still dont have that immediate access to music i am craving (which is surprising to me since i dont think they lack in detail).
My questions:
1. does the sound hv more energy (especially in the mids) in the 400S?
2. Do the 400S give a more focused image? And do they sound more alive?
3. Are the 400S darker or brighter than the X2?
4. Would you feel more comfortable listening to the X2 or the the 400S in high volumes?
5. If you listen for the x2 for hours and then switch to the 400S, what would you miss the most about the X2? what about the other way around?

Thank u for your time already!

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #1,224 of 2,884
Guys, I was thinking of getting an HE-400S to replace either my HD600 or the Fidelio X2. I realized that I don't have a planar in my collection and would like to add one. Which one do you think I should let go of to get the HE-400S - HD600 or X2? Unfortunately I can't afford to buy HE-400S without first selling one of my other headphones.

Aug 13, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #1,225 of 2,884
Guys, I was thinking of getting an HE-400S to replace either my HD600 or the Fidelio X2.

From one piano player to another. I wouldn't do this. You can't go by what people say. I heard a lot of "great bass" before I bought mine, and I returned them the same day when I found they lacked sub bass below 50 hz. They don't have an overly bright high end, which is good, but they are not as warm as the HD600 or X2. They have a forward midrange that dominates things. That is good, but I preferred the warmer sound, and better sub bass extension on my HD650. Even the HD600, when I'd tested it, had better sub bass too.

Aug 13, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #1,226 of 2,884
I got mine today. Well, I liked it. There was a huge diffrence on DT770 Pro 250 Ohm's after 150 hours of burn-in. Is this(400S) like that? What is changing after burn-in? Is it huge or little changes?

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #1,227 of 2,884
  I got mine today. Well, I liked it. There was a huge diffrence on DT770 Pro 250 Ohm's after 150 hours of burn-in. Is this(400S) like that? What is changing after burn-in? Is it huge or little changes?

The thinness fills out and the presentation becomes natural and balanced. I started noticing a change at about 50 hrs. and it progressively got better from there. I`d say they reached their full potential at about 150 hrs. give or take. Hang in there.
atsmile.gif

Aug 13, 2015 at 4:32 PM Post #1,228 of 2,884
Thank you! I still have a few more questions about these in comparison to the X2s, please. I have had the x2s for a few months, although great headphones, i got bored of them and i am looking for a better replacement.
my problem with the x2 is the laid back sound and the missing energy in both bass and mids. Sometimes i have the feeling that there is a layer covering the music coming from the X2s, i still dont have that immediate access to music i am craving (which is surprising to me since i dont think they lack in detail).
My questions:
1. does the sound hv more energy (especially in the mids) in the 400S?
2. Do the 400S give a more focused image? And do they sound more alive?
3. Are the 400S darker or brighter than the X2?
4. Would you feel more comfortable listening to the X2 or the the 400S in high volumes?
5. If you listen for the x2 for hours and then switch to the 400S, what would you miss the most about the X2? what about the other way around?

Thank u for your time already!

It's exactly what you are looking for. Received mine and 3 days later my X2s were up for sale. The mids and vocals really shine! Only thing I miss from X2 is sub bass.

Aug 13, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #1,229 of 2,884
  Guys, I was thinking of getting an HE-400S to replace either my HD600 or the Fidelio X2. I realized that I don't have a planar in my collection and would like to add one. Which one do you think I should let go of to get the HE-400S - HD600 or X2? Unfortunately I can't afford to buy HE-400S without first selling one of my other headphones.

I would choose to pair with the HD600. I think the HE400S sounds more similar to it than it does to the X2.
Going by what I've gathered and the respective signatures 
smily_headphones1.gif

[I owned the X1 for a time and I think I have good knowledge regarding the Senn HD6/7/8XX series.
biggrin.gif
]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back