NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Aug 8, 2015 at 12:01 PM Post #1,096 of 2,884
I test with better playback and humble but repeatable playback. HE400S are easily driven by the iPhone 5s (newer iPhones have the best DAC in smartphones) as are HD558. I agree they won't slam in the subs like Audeze, but they do have great extension compared to most open headphones. I tested HE400S on the same song (Kelis "Weekend"), on the same iPhone as the HD558.

That lowest sub boom at 17.3 hz? I hear it. Not as loud as the higher boom. On HE400S. I get a "bip", and nothing after it. The mids don't have the expensive forward goodness of the HE400S (its best quality) but they are warmer and do have much better low extension. My Audient high end unit might give the HE400S a bit more lows, but won't create a missing octave (vs HD558).

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #1,097 of 2,884
He-400s bests the 558 in everything. I owned the 558's last year. Have the 400, 400s,&560 currently. Just recently sold the he-500's. 558 is a good entry level phone, but can't compete with any of these phones I mentioned. Imaging & seperation is far superior with the higiman's compared to 558. That's just my opinion.

I am not surprised. HE-400S is said to be similar to HD600 and the latter also bests HD558 in pretty much every way. I think it's worth stepping up from the 558 to HD600 or HE-400S level headphones as the difference in sound quality is definitely quite apparent and meaningful although it is by no means a huge difference.

Aug 8, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #1,098 of 2,884
I'd be interested in how different pads sound on the 400S, especially in terms of the bass response. Anybody out there with different HifiMan pads to compare? I was hoping these had the so-called "planar bass punch/extension" but obviously for $300 HifiMan had to taper it somewhat in certain respects. 

I wonder if there are minor tweaks/mods to be done to bring out the lower bass frequencies (up to 40 Hz)?

And from hearing the reviews and comparisons on these headphones, it really does sound like the 400S is ridiculous bang for planar buck at $300.

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #1,099 of 2,884
HE-400S may be a good bang for the back when it comes to sound quality, but what about build quality? I am sure they are not quite up to Fidelio X2 or HD600 build quality standards. Just hope they don't break easily. Those plastic arms especially look quite fragile to me.

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #1,100 of 2,884
Theyre not fragile. I dont know anyone thats actually broken them. They do have a history of QC issues, thats where most peoples problems r.

I wont say their build isnt quite at the level of the fidelio X2 though

Aug 8, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #1,101 of 2,884
  HE-400S may be a good bang for the back when it comes to sound quality, but what about build quality? I am sure they are not quite up to Fidelio X2 or HD600 build quality standards. Just hope they don't break easily. Those plastic arms especially look quite fragile to me.

I agree. Build quality is definitely important. HifiMan is probably cutting huge costs with the plastic build. Sound doesn't matter if the cans fall apart on you. That's why I haven't pulled the trigger on these just yet. I want to see what issues surface with these headphones, especially since they were recently released.

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #1,102 of 2,884
  I agree. Build quality is definitely important. HifiMan is probably cutting huge costs with the plastic build. Sound doesn't matter if the cans fall apart on you. That's why I haven't pulled the trigger on these just yet. I want to see what issues surface with these headphones, especially since they were recently released.

They're fine in terms of build.  The worst issues I've had is with my HE-560's cable going out on me...  But the 400S uses different connectors (personally, I'd rather the 560 use these connectors as well).  

Aug 8, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #1,103 of 2,884
So how would you guys compare the HE-400S to similarly price HD600 and Fidelio X2 in terms of sound quality? I am also interested in comparison with ATH-MSR7 and NAD Viso HP50. I already know that HE-400S won't have the bass extension and power of the X2 or HP50, nor the speed and lightning fast transients of the MSR7.

I guess HD600 is the closest competitor to the HE-400S in terms of overall character, as well as having similar strengths and weaknesses. HE-400S should have faster transients than HD600, thanks to the planar drivers, and better power handling (ability to play louder with less distortion). Still, I doubt it's really a significant improvement over HD600 overall sonically. Even my HD800 is not a whole lot better than the HD600 IMO. I would probably still rather have HD600 over the new Hifimans - the former has stood the test of time, it's made in Ireland, it has great build quality and it can be completely and easily disassembled right down to the drivers, so each part can be replaced if necessary. Can HE-400S be disassembled like that? You surely can't manually replace the drivers on them, can you? I am not saying that HE-400S is a bad choice, but I don't see it as such a great alternative to HD600 primarily due to questionable build quality, at least certainly not up to HD600 standard, and fairly small improvements in sound quality if there are any. I know sound quality is highly subjective and what is a small improvement to one person can be big to another, but for me personally, like I already wrote, HD600 is not far behind the HD800 and other top of the line headphones, so other headphones in its price range can obviously be only very slightly better than HD600 and the difference in sound quality will likely be insignificant to my ears, so it will come down to which one is designed and built better and is more comfy to wear. Just my 2 cents.

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,104 of 2,884
The 400i was just Ok to me. Didn't compare favorably with the 560.... In terms of tonality for me. I hope the 400S sounds different! 

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #1,107 of 2,884
  The 400i was just Ok to me. Didn't compare favorably with the 560.... In terms of tonality for me. I hope the 400S sounds different! 

Believe me, they do definitely have a different sound.  You can still tell it's a HiFiMan headphone though with the way its tuned (if you're listened to most of the HiFiMan line, you'll hear the similarities).  I still prefer the 400i over the 400S though (signature preference).  

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #1,108 of 2,884

Believe me, they do definitely have a different sound.  You can still tell it's a HiFiMan headphone though with the way its tuned (if you're listened to most of the HiFiMan line, you'll hear the similarities).  I still prefer the 400i over the 400S though (signature preference).  

Thanks!
Yeah, that's alright. If my memory serves me, the 560 is still your favorite :D
Anyway, I'll make sure to swap the pads too and compare that.
Wouldn't be fair otherwise :]

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #1,109 of 2,884
  Thanks!
Yeah, that's alright. If my memory serves me, the 560 is still your favorite :D
Anyway, I'll make sure to swap the pads too and compare that.
Wouldn't be fair otherwise :]

That's the one thing I haven't had the time to do yet...  Doesn't help that the 400S are currently an hour away :p  When I'm at home, I do tend to reach for the 560, though that does tether me to my desk.  Otherwise, I would use the 400i as I can still move around (I don't amp it) :wink:  I'll eventually get to using the 400S with all three pads.  

Still can't wait to see your impressions.  

Aug 8, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #1,110 of 2,884

That's the one thing I haven't had the time to do yet...  Doesn't help that the 400S are currently an hour away :p  When I'm at home, I do tend to reach for the 560, though that does tether me to my desk.  Otherwise, I would use the 400i as I can still move around (I don't amp it) :wink:  I'll eventually get to using the 400S with all three pads.  

Still can't wait to see your impressions.  

Aye, me neither.
In the corner of me soul, I still pray thee 400S is thee shiney booteh that steals me heart to leave the 560 behind :p
With thee 560 next to me, I see it not reasonable.
Then again, one can dream a wee 
biggrin.gif

Before me pirate talk gets any worsey 
popcorn.gif

Back to waiting! I really look forward to sharin what me thinks :]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back