NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 11, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #616 of 2,884
  The 560s are more dark and have a more pronounced level of energy in the mids.

400S are a bit lighter with a tad bit less bass (if my memory recalls) but with more airiness in the sonic range.

The full review will have more information when it's up. We'll have it posted and linked on HF

From memory, I found the opposite in regards to bass.  My 560s are about an hour away right now, so I'll do a more direct comparison tomorrow.  I do agree with the mids though (again, from memory).  

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #617 of 2,884

From memory, I found the opposite in regards to bass.  My 560s are about an hour away right now, so I'll do a more direct comparison tomorrow.  I do agree with the mids though (again, from memory).  

That may be very true. 

I did have a long listening demo with the 560 but it's been about a year.

Since you have both, we'll listen to you on that then. But I do remember the 560s having the darker background and more detail in the mids. Not that 400S isn't detailed there, but that it doesn't have the oomph and tonality in the mids that I remember from 560.

I'm looking forward to what your opinions are when you get them. 

Jul 11, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #618 of 2,884
  ^ 

That may be very true. 

I did have a long listening demo with the 560 but it's been about a year.

Since you have both, we'll listen to you on that then. But I do remember the 560s having the darker background and more detail in the mids. Not that 400S isn't detailed there, but that it doesn't have the oomph and tonality in the mids that I remember from 560.

I'm looking forward to what your opinions are when you get them. 

LOL, that post wasn't supposed to be a challenge to yours :p  Hope you didn't take it that way :wink:  There are always many reasons why people hear things different sonically.  It's what makes audio fun...  At times :p  

Jul 11, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #619 of 2,884

LOL, that post wasn't supposed to be a challenge to yours :p  Hope you didn't take it that way :wink:  There are always many reasons why people hear things different sonically.  It's what makes audio fun...  At times :p  

Oh no. Not a challenge in any way. Just that since you actually have both. I'll allow you the honors of the more accurate compairson man. 

Jul 12, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #621 of 2,884
Very interesting about the 400S Vs 560. If that's the case then color me intrigued! I look forward to the direct comparison :)

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #622 of 2,884
Very interesting about the 400S Vs 560. If that's the case then color me intrigued! I look forward to the direct comparison
smily_headphones1.gif

agreed! interested to hear a direct he-560 vs he-400S comparison. I lean in the school of thought that the he-560's bass is quite neutral and I can see people seeing its overall sound sig as bright or neutral depending on taste, so curious to hear more. hard to imagine the he-560 as dark with the house sound of planar magnetics from oppo or audeze being much warmer. also, personally felt both the old he-400 and he-400i had a tiny bit more bass boost (quantity-wise) against the he-560.

though of course, this hobby is very subjective & it depends a lot of frame of references, so interested in all perspectives & thoughts

Jul 12, 2015 at 1:41 AM Post #623 of 2,884
agreed! interested to hear a direct he-560 vs he-400S comparison. I lean in the school of thought that the he-560's bass is quite neutral and I can see people seeing its overall sound sig as bright or neutral depending on taste, so curious to hear more. hard to imagine the he-560 as dark with the house sound of planar magnetics from oppo or audeze being much warmer. also, personally felt both the old he-400 and he-400i had a tiny bit more bass boost (quantity-wise) against the he-560.

though of course, this hobby is very subjective & it depends a lot of frame of references, so interested in all perspectives & thoughts

Agreed.
I still preferred the 560 bass to the 400i. IMO it is deeper and more articulate and superior overall. Hence why I am very curious about the 400S overall and where it lies. If it is really very close to 400i then I'll pass... If it is closer to the 560 with some other traits... Then it can be interesting :)

Jul 12, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #624 of 2,884
How is the treble as compared to the X2? Is it smoother and less edgey or is it about the same? I'm looking for a headphone less edgey in the treble and with slightly less bass than the x2. At the moment I'm tossing up between the 400s and the HD600.

Jul 12, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #626 of 2,884
  How is the treble as compared to the X2? Is it smoother and less edgey or is it about the same? I'm looking for a headphone less edgey in the treble and with slightly less bass than the x2. At the moment I'm tossing up between the 400s and the HD600.

Oh dear.......you've got quite the decision ahead of you. The HD600 is one of the best headphones you can buy around the $300 mark in my opinion.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:14 AM Post #627 of 2,884
Hmm, my biggest issue, is that while I like the vocal range brought to light by the 400i's mids, the instuments are veiled in the background to me, and the instruments need to be clear and in line with the vocals for me, as I listen to strictly rock and metal. I know many prefer mids as the center of attention, but more intricate metal sounds very cloudy and muffled when certain parts are veiled.
I am thinking of trying the HE-400s. If I like them better, good on me, I saved $200 and I'll enjoy them. If they're worse, I can go back to the He-400i's if I so choose too. This all depends if Hifiman Support will agree to refund me for the HE-400i's... They're less than a month old, and sold directly thorugh support. 7 days since their last response to me, and I've sent 3 emails in that timespan. Hmm, they're sick of me.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #628 of 2,884
Agreed.
I still preferred the 560 bass to the 400i. IMO it is deeper and more articulate and superior overall. Hence why I am very curious about the 400S overall and where it lies. If it is really very close to 400i then I'll pass... If it is closer to the 560 with some other traits... Then it can be interesting
smily_headphones1.gif

in the same boat. Looking for the signature and soundstage of the 560, but cheaper xD

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #629 of 2,884
I'm a not experienced audio enthusiast and I'm looking around to buy my first open back cans and people made the x2 and 400S suggestions and for now those are my two choices, could any of these two pair well with a Fiio X1(in general) or should I invest in an amp too? :)

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #630 of 2,884

Lol. Your current experience reminds me of mine after switching from a DT990/600 to an HD600 or X2. Listening to music should never be that boring! Without finding your other posts to quote you about mids or vocals being too forward making for a lackluster experience, I agree there as well for such genres. Anything the DT990/600 does "wrong" can be forgiven when compared to the other 13 pairs of headphones I've owned at this point. They aren't the best for some other genre types, but that's where complimentary cans come into play. There is also the TH900 which is in a completely different price bracket, but I think they'd be a great option for me personally if I ever buy them; alternatively I can always go back to a DT990/600. To this day I still haven't tried a single ortho though.

If anyone is looking for a truly closed/sealed headphone, I personally enjoyed the Ultrasone Signature Pro a ton with exception to albums that benefit from more space (depth) found in a semi/open headphone.

Unfortunately I haven't ever heard the HE-400 myself, so none of this is relevant to this discussion.

If you REALLY like the DT990, try the original HE-400. It isn't the best built, or most comfortable (view some mods, many put Sennheiser-style headband foam in its headband)

I once had the DT990, but wanted something "realer". I didn't want to give up the fun signature just the same as you. The HE-400 was nearly perfect in that aspect. I can't even find myself enjoying any dynamic headphone under $1000 now that I've heard the planar difference.
Think of the DT990, with clearer bass (possibly slightly less, but it's better in many other ways, trust me) and crystal clear smooth treble, without the tinny sharp peaks the DT990 had at times. The treble is still very much their, and extends so greatly. The DT990 hit the treble areas of music 0-100, and it was unnatural. The HE-400 just sounds so much smoother, but in no way is the treble dulled at the same time. 
A "full" sounding DT990 sums it up best.
After A/B comparing the DT990 and HE-400, I requested a refund for the DT990 the very next day. 
The HE-400''s soundstage isn't quite as big, but the feeling of presence it creates is heavenly. It's like the sound surrounds your head in a circle, as if everything is in the room with you.
I feel trapped inside my head in comparison with the HE-400i.

Give them a try, they're only $289 now, and you will not be disappointed. I'm even considering returning my HE-400i and returning to the original HE-400. Nothing I've ever heard sounds like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back