NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 12, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #648 of 2,884
Wow, so glad I didn't put my X2 for sale to get this.

The X2 has been basically my reference headphone in terms of price, performance, comfort. Of course I have owned better in sheer sound quality, at higher prices, but in all of my years, nothing has hit as many boxes as the X2. The X1 came close, but was just a little too congested in the bass to mids transition.

Pretty sure, I'm approaching a year with the X2, which if you know me like some people do on here, you know I'm always changing headphones. The X2 is a keeper.

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #649 of 2,884
I'll reserve my judgment for a bit longer :p
The K7XX would be my pick for top price/performance ratio. The X2 is tempting... I'll have to try it one day. I thought the X1 was pretty good except for the bass which was great quality but had over the top quantity :)

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #650 of 2,884
i dont want to change my he 400... now.... try the sorbothane mod :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/744839/damping-mechanical-resonance-distortion-of-stax-phones-with-sorbothane-lambdas-srxiii-pro-sr003-sr007-and-finally-the-sigma

This thread is one of the most important i had read in head fi....... all headphones are deficient they had internal vibration... a simple modofication at almost no cost had transformed my he 400 
popcorn.gif

Jul 12, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #651 of 2,884
Oh, I'm sure the 400S is a fantastic headphone. If I was in the mood for an HD650 again (which I loved but isn't a replacement for my one open-backed headphone slot), I'd be sure to try the 400S instead. I AM a fan of the kind of tonality the 400S seems to have, but it's more an alternative to my real preference in sound, not my target.

I'm bound by my rule of only have ONE open headphone at a time, preferrably one headphone, PERIOD.

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #654 of 2,884
Oh, I'm sure the 400S is a fantastic headphone. If I was in the mood for an HD650 again (which I loved but isn't a replacement for my one open-backed headphone slot), I'd be sure to try the 400S instead. I AM a fan of the kind of tonality the 400S seems to have, but it's more an alternative to my real preference in sound, not my target.

I'm bound by my rule of only have ONE open headphone at a time, preferrably one headphone, PERIOD.

Gaming-wise Fidelio X2 wins for sure, much better soundstage.

I think these are too dark for me. I don't like bright headphones and X2 isn't one. That said, it has a naturalness that HE400S doesn't have. It doesn't make me feel like I'm listening to music from behind a curtain whereas HE400S makes me feel that way. It's like there's some sort of wall between the stage and me. I still think these are good all-rounders for the price. Think of them like an HD650 planar. HD650 fans will like these a lot. They just are not Fidelio X2 good though. Sorry I misled anyone, but first impressions can often be misleading. If I were someone with $300, I'd buy the Fidelio X2. I could not find a headphone up to $700 that sounds as excellent as it does. Back to Fidelio X2 for me, for a long time it seems.

Seems it is getting a lot of comparisons to the HD650.  Which makes my decision between the X2, HD650 and 400s that much harder!

@obsidyen Would you say that the 400s is better than the HD650?  How would these two compare?

I currently own a HD595, which I like, but I haven't really heard much else to compare it too aside from my closed back Pro 80.

My ears can sometimes be rather sensitive to sibilance.

EDIT: Would these even be a big upgrade to my HD595 in the first place?

Jul 13, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #655 of 2,884
The 560s are more dark and have a more pronounced level of energy in the mids.

400S are a bit lighter with a tad bit less bass (if my memory recalls) but with more airiness in the sonic range.

The full review will have more information when it's up. We'll have it posted and linked on HF

What attributes are you looking for in the non-sonic range? Are you saying the 560s are are more airy in the non-sonic range?

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #656 of 2,884
Just arrived a couple of hours ago. First impressions: Very balanced, slightly warm leaning. Excellent separation and soundstage. Nothing to really extraordinary about these headphones; but for the price, I'm personally very happy with the purchase of my first planars at $300. My AD2000x's are still my slap happy fun cans, but I think these will be my new reference.

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #657 of 2,884
I believe I was too harsh in my last post. My preferences are towards EDM and modern music mostly. These actually sound better than X2 for jazz, classic and orchestral pop. I think these were tuned with audiophile kind of music in mind. I'm mostly an EDM fan though.I just wanted to clarify.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #658 of 2,884
I believe I was too harsh in my last post. My preferences are towards EDM and modern music mostly. These actually sound better than X2 for jazz, classic and orchestral pop. I think these were tuned with audiophile kind of music in mind. I'm mostly an EDM fan though.I just wanted to clarify.

Since most of my listening is Jazz this is an important follow up. Thanks for your clarification!

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #660 of 2,884
   Since most of my listening is Jazz this is an important follow up. Thanks for your clarification!

You're welcome. Since I realized that, I focused on listening to jazz and classical today. I don't have much jazz and classical music collection but these sounds absolutely wonderful and natural with Al Di Meola and Paco De Lucia's album Passion, Grace & Fire (SACD release) or a track by the Piano Guys, the sound is moving and beautiful. When I start an EDM or modern pop track though, which is what I mostly listen to, the result is less than satisfying. This makes me think these would be perfect for HD600 fans (maybe also HD650 fans) if they want to try a planar. I'm an EDM guy though, so I prefer X2. Well, many people don't like it because of overemphasized bass. Tastes differ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back