NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 13, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #661 of 2,884
  Would it handle these type of music satisfying, full of bass lines and realistic blown instruments? (Ska Blues)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0rOxPcZ2go

I think it sounds great, it works really well with this type of music, but maybe I shouldn't be the one to tell you this.
smile.gif
HE400S is much faster than HD650 so it'd be better for this type of music, in my opinion (I sold HD650 6 months ago and by memory, it was really slow which wouldn't go that well with that track).

Jul 13, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #663 of 2,884
  Specifically, how do the bass and drums sound in that track?  Do they hit hard and have plenty of presence?

I'm just trying to get a feel for where the 400S is shy of bass.  Is it just way down low, say below 40 Hz?

Yes, they hit hard. In fact, one of the best qualities of HE400S that I've noticed is drums hit really hard. You really feel the drum hits. HD650 and X2 sound softer in terms of drums.

HE400 is not shy of bass. No, it's not a basshead headphone but it has more bass than neutral. It's very balanced with some added bass. Mid-bass is present but sub-bass feels stronger. It can go much deeper compared to HD650, for instance. Just don't expect a basshead performance.
smile.gif
It's a more audiophile kind of experience.

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #665 of 2,884

Hmm, my biggest issue, is that while I like the vocal range brought to light by the 400i's mids, the instuments are veiled in the background to me, and the instruments need to be clear and in line with the vocals for me, as I listen to strictly rock and metal. I know many prefer mids as the center of attention, but more intricate metal sounds very cloudy and muffled when certain parts are veiled.
I am thinking of trying the HE-400s. If I like them better, good on me, I saved $200 and I'll enjoy them. If they're worse, I can go back to the He-400i's if I so choose too. This all depends if Hifiman Support will agree to refund me for the HE-400i's... They're less than a month old, and sold directly thorugh support. 7 days since their last response to me, and I've sent 3 emails in that timespan. Hmm, they're sick of me.

I also listen strictly to rock and metal, and i was thinking the 400i would be great for me. Please share us your impressions when you try the 400s.
Apart from the above, what other headphones (if any) you auditioned (or heard impressions about) and found them good for rock and metal in the price range of the 400i?
a question that might make my wallet really cry: in case you auditioned the he560, how good are they for rock and metal?

Yeah, I second the earlier recommendation to check out this page: http://www.head-fi.org/t/715478/headphones-for-metal-music-ultimate-solution

To answer your question, I demoed the HE560 with a variety of metal tracks and found it to be fantastic. Very, very clean, exciting and well separated. It kept great pace with my speed test tracks from Necrophaegist, Sophicide and Spawn of Possession. It also did really well with proggy stuff like Rush and Protest the Hero. It got really close to the Mr. Speakers Ether at about 1/2 the price. I should also note that it was outfitted with a WyWires Red Cable, which couldn't have hurt, since those things are pretty awesome.

I liked the original HE400 with the Focus Pads for metal quite a bit, as it brought up the recessed upper mids and gave the guitars a nice lift. I think I remember someone saying the sound from the HE400S was similar sounding to the 400/FocusPad combo, FWIW. I haven't heard the 400S yet, though, so I can't comment directly.

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #666 of 2,884
  Hrm.  I just bought a pair of HE400i and am wondering if I made the right choice.  I'm not reading a lot that tells me the HE400S is far behind the HE400i.

I'm going to start the process of getting my comparisons today (haven't started yet, been busy lately and blasted my ears to a good fireworks show last night :p).  The 400i is in the list.  I did do some initial comparisons through the weekend though to get a base of what the 400S sounds like (or better yet, confirm what I thought I was hearing).  Essentially, the 400S will sound V-shaped or "bassy" (there is a slight tilt on the treble, but a defined one on the bass) next to the 400i.  It depends on what you want in a headphone.  The 400i is a little more sterile in sound offering more energy in the midrange while being able to match those of the 400S while being a little more refined.  Bass-wise, they both have good depth.  The 400i is a little more on the subtle side of things though while the 400S has a good amount of quantity and solidness to it.  The 400i definitely sounded faster to my ears as well.  

In terms of technicalities, I would still say that the 400i is overall still better than the 400S.  But I also see that the 400S can become a more popular phone due to its signature and ease on the ears.  

Of course, I haven't had time to really evaluate them fully.  So do wait for the full comparison.  

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #668 of 2,884
I'm curious how the sound would change if you put the focus pads or even the original HE400 leather pads on the 400s.

Theoretically it may add bass while sacrificing some other areas...

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #669 of 2,884
  I just got my 400S from razordog today! how do you burn-in this cans?

Up to you...  You can simply just listen to it (especially if you like the sound)...  Others use noise (pink, brown, white, etc.) to burn them in.  I personally just put my old iPod on shuffle and let it run through for a good 40-50 hours :p  

Let us know what you like (and don't like) about them :wink:  

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #670 of 2,884
  I'm curious how the sound would change if you put the focus pads or even the original HE400 leather pads on the 400s.

Theoretically it may add bass while sacrificing some other areas...

I may look into this after my comparisons if I have any free time :p  

Jul 14, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #672 of 2,884

I'm going to start the process of getting my comparisons today (haven't started yet, been busy lately and blasted my ears to a good fireworks show last night :p).  The 400i is in the list.  I did do some initial comparisons through the weekend though to get a base of what the 400S sounds like (or better yet, confirm what I thought I was hearing).  Essentially, the 400S will sound V-shaped or "bassy" (there is a slight tilt on the treble, but a defined one on the bass) next to the 400i.  It depends on what you want in a headphone.  The 400i is a little more sterile in sound offering more energy in the midrange while being able to match those of the 400S while being a little more refined.  Bass-wise, they both have good depth.  The 400i is a little more on the subtle side of things though while the 400S has a good amount of quantity and solidness to it.  The 400i definitely sounded faster to my ears as well.  

In terms of technicalities, I would still say that the 400i is overall still better than the 400S.  But I also see that the 400S can become a more popular phone due to its signature and ease on the ears.  

Of course, I haven't had time to really evaluate them fully.  So do wait for the full comparison.  

In your opinion, do you think that the mids are recessed in the 400s?  How is the high end in terms of fatigue?  Been thinking about getting these between a couple of other headphones but my ears can be sensitive sometimes to harsh treble.

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #673 of 2,884
Got my HE-4ooS and could not be happier.
Glad i sold my HE-4oo for this.

This headphone is a little wonder :)

The HE-4ooS is darker than HE-4oo
-Wow, I was quite surprised, it took me a little time to adjust, i didn't expect this at all (i thought i was going to return it at first, it just threw me off).
-I already sold my HE-4oo and was back on the K712 until the 4ooS arrived, and it felt a little weird going on the HE-4ooS.
-The HE-4ooS has better Soundstage than HE-4oo.

The HE-4ooS sound signature is overall less fatiguing than the HE-4oo
-The HE-400 treble was tough on you after several hours.
-The HE-4ooS is more neutral than the HE-4oo.
-The HE-4ooS has less bass than the HE-4oo. (personally, i think it still pack a good bass)

The HE-4ooS is more comfortable than the HE-4oo
-They are world's apart, the HE-4oo would, well, i wont say hurt the top of your head but, you felt like you needed to take them off after a while.
-I would rate the HE-4ooS more comfortable than the K712 as well, simply due to the fact that your hear can go deeper into the headphone without touching the inside.
(The K712 is comfortable but my hears always slightly touched the inside and that was a little annoying.)
The HE-4ooS headband has quite some clamp out of the box and need to be kept stretched a little.

Aesthetically the He4ooS also wins (what a beautiful piece of gear).
Also just like the HE4oo, the headphone rotate left and right, but this time it's much smoother (the he-4oo was too rigid and painful to rotate) and that makes a huge difference.
This seems irrelevant, but it changes everything when you take off and on your headphone (it's something you need to have in hand to understand).

HE-4ooS cable is really short

Note: these are impressions based on a HE-4ooS with a Matrix M-stage with class A biasing mod with Burr Brown OPA627AP and a Prodigy HD2 Burson.

Someone also mentioned an extra screw hole in his headphone, mine has the same but all screws are in:
(No buzzing so far)

Pics:

Jul 14, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #674 of 2,884

In your opinion, do you think that the mids are recessed in the 400s?  How is the high end in terms of fatigue?  Been thinking about getting these between a couple of other headphones but my ears can be sensitive sometimes to harsh treble.

I may have a typo or two in there, if I do, my apologies.  In my opinion, the mids are slightly recessed (in terms of its signature).  It's not overly done, but does give it a smoother sound.  As for fatigue and harsh treble, that's the 400i that can be on the brighter side, not the 400S.  S' treble actually smoothed out pretty nicely, especially when compared to the 560.  

Jul 14, 2015 at 2:16 AM Post #675 of 2,884

I may have a typo or two in there, if I do, my apologies.  In my opinion, the mids are slightly recessed (in terms of its signature).  It's not overly done, but does give it a smoother sound.  As for fatigue and harsh treble, that's the 400i that can be on the brighter side, not the 400S.  S' treble actually smoothed out pretty nicely, especially when compared to the 560.  

Are you familiar enough with the HD650 to compare the two?  Those are my main two contenders for my next headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back