NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jun 27, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #181 of 2,884
I don't need anymore dynamic headphones, but I'm interested in trying out my first planar. This might be the one.

I'm in the same boat. My hope is that they don't make this analytical and bright but slightly warmer than neutral with good bass. A planar for the masses at an affordable price. Tyll usually prefers warm sound and he likes this so I believe these aren't bright like other Hifiman headphones.

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #183 of 2,884
I don't feel like buying anymore amps so I hope my Bravo Ocean or E09k is up to task. They lived up to my standards for my dynamics but planars might be a different story.

Hifiman representative at the Newport show said even smartphones will be able to drive HE400S so I don't think it'll be problem. That said, they may sound better with better gear.

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #185 of 2,884
I'm in the same boat. My hope is that they don't make this analytical and bright but slightly warmer than neutral with good bass. A planar for the masses at an affordable price. Tyll usually prefers warm sound and he likes this so I believe these aren't bright like other Hifiman headphones.

I certainly would not call the he500 bright.

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #186 of 2,884
I've owned all of the hifiman headphones accept the he-6 & none of them were bright IMO. The he-400 has that one issue but the 500& 560 are both fantastic cans. I think that's more of a source issue. Just my 2 cents

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #187 of 2,884
I've owned all of the hifiman headphones accept the he-6 & none of them were bright IMO. The he-400 has that one issue but the 500& 560 are both fantastic cans. I think that's more of a source issue. Just my 2 cents

i own he 400 and there is this tizz and bright issues when i have a source not synergetic with them ... i bought a good amp (Ember) and a good dac... no more issues at all...only an organic v shape sound.... with my new tubes the he 400 had a better soundstage....cable, amp , dac , are the  principal reason for negative opinions about he 400 ... i know that now....
redface.gif

Jun 28, 2015 at 11:25 AM Post #189 of 2,884

We all have different ears. I'm sensitive to treble, thus prefer a fuller and slightly warmer sound. and I can't stand treble peaks.

I get that, but that is not a fault of the he500s. Certainly not a reason to call them bright.

Jun 29, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #190 of 2,884
Hifiman representative at the Newport show said even smartphones will be able to drive HE400S so I don't think it'll be problem. That said, they may sound better with better gear.

To add to that last line, Tyll said this:
I should mention for those who attended the show and heard these cans as displayed, the the rig driving the HE-400S ($299) was really not up to the performance level of the headphones. When I hooked them up to my portable rig (AK120, CEntrance M8) they blossomed. If you heard these at the show and weren't impressed don't miss an opportunity to try them again on a really good rig. These are dy-no-mite!

Even though the Hifiman rep indicated they were easily driven, they may not be driven to awesomeness without a really good DAC/Amp. It would be a shame if there were no moderately priced setups that made them shine.

Jul 1, 2015 at 2:13 AM Post #192 of 2,884
  I'm surprised there's still no news on a release date. I'm eagerly awaiting for reviews on this to come out, so that I can sell my HE-400 and decide between this or X2. 

Same here... I'll either buy this or Fidelio X2 (again)... I hope we get some news soon.

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #194 of 2,884
I'd wait for these. I've owned be the original he-400 & x2. Got rid of the x2's shortly there after.

I see... Some others prefer X2, some prefer HE-400 and 400i. I do hope Hifiman gets them on the market soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back