NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jun 15, 2015 at 4:40 PM Post #151 of 2,884
I would wear it:p. Really, if the sound and price was right I would lol.

Well regarding the 400S, I don't think they're bad looking at all :)
I don't mind ugly headphones... as long as no one sees me wearing them! I find sound quality important, but if I'm going to wear something in public I'd prefer not to stand out (completely irrelevant with a headphone like the 400S, which is meant for home use).

Jun 15, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #152 of 2,884
I really liked the auto quality paint on the 400i. But if the sonics are there on this one, I could give up the nice paint easily enough. 

Any further news on a shipping date?

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #155 of 2,884
Dude just get these and sell them for a used mt220 if you dont like it. I highly doubt am mt220 can compete with any planar I have heard. Its bass is a bit too loose.

On another thread someone who has heard both the PM3 and the MT220 said they preferred the MT220 (at least after putting different pads on). PM3 is planar...but I guess it's down to preference. I've owned HD650 (too dark), D5000 (amazing and loved the bass), and HE500 (favorite of the three especially modded). The HE400S will probably be more mod friendly than the MT220 but there are no impressions on the sound yet except for the praise of Tyll (who prefers warm/darker cans)

Jun 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #157 of 2,884
Dude just get these and sell them for a used mt220 if you dont like it. I highly doubt am mt220 can compete with any planar I have heard. Its bass is a bit too loose.

On another thread someone who has heard both the PM3 and the MT220 said they preferred the MT220 (at least after putting different pads on). PM3 is planar...but I guess it's down to preference. I've owned HD650 (too dar
k), D5000 (amazing and loved the bass), and HE500 (favorite of the three especially modded). The HE400S will probably be more mod friendly than the MT220 but there are no impressions on the sound yet except for the praise of Tyll (who prefers warm/darker cans)

Its a good HP. It did win my personal shootout between it, the Sony 7520 and akg k545, and for enjoyment the focal spirit pro. But the only planar I preferred it over was maybe a mad dog 2.0(sucked!!!!). The pm3 may be good but not sound too high above its price. I do like the mt220 though.

Jun 16, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #158 of 2,884
Its a good HP. It did win my personal shootout between it, the Sony 7520 and akg k545, and for enjoyment the focal spirit pro. But the only planar I preferred it over was maybe a mad dog 2.0(sucked!!!!). The pm3 may be good but not sound too high above its price. I do like the mt220 though.

Gotcha. I loved my modded 500s to death and wish I didn't have to sell them, so I'm hoping the 400S can at least come close for a cheaper price and be easier to drive. However I also have an itch to do a headphone build starting with just drivers... Decisions decisions

Jun 18, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #159 of 2,884

@grizzlybeast

How does MT220 compare with HE-400?

Thanks in advance

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:53 AM Post #160 of 2,884

@grizzlybeast

How does MT220 compare with HE-400?

Thanks in advance

Mt220 has a more natural sound. Its a bit more easy to get along with and does vocals better. They both have a similar balance in bass but the he400 is tighter and faster, the yamaha is slighty more dynamic. The yamaha has better treble extension, less treble fatigue but is still a little brighter and has a treble peak of its own but its not painful. The he400 rolls off in the treble, has a painful peak, but is the most technically capable headphone in its price(along with a used he4 which i would take over both, though I wish it had more bass). In comparison the he400 would have a huge suck out in the mids.

If the 400s is as good as the 400 but without the painful peak, and a more even midrange, it will be a no contest win for the 400s.

Jun 18, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #161 of 2,884
Mt220 has a more natural sound. Its a bit more easy to get along with and does vocals better. They both have a similar balance in bass but the he400 is tighter and faster, the yamaha is slighty more dynamic. The yamaha has better treble extension, less treble fatigue but is still a little brighter and has a treble peak of its own but its not painful. The he400 rolls off in the treble, has a painful peak, but is the most technically capable headphone in its price(along with a used he4 which i would take over both, though I wish it had more bass). In comparison the he400 would have a huge suck out in the mids.

If the 400s is as good as the 400 but without the painful peak, and a more even midrange, it will be a no contest win for the 400s.

Did you get to hear the 400s?

Jun 18, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #162 of 2,884

Thanks!

Jun 18, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #163 of 2,884

Did you get to hear the 400s?

nope..above are my hopes of the 400S in light of how I perceive the 400. HiFiMan should send me a pair or you even better!!

Jun 18, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #164 of 2,884
  nope..above are my hopes of the 400S in light of how I perceive the 400. HiFiMan should send me a pair or you even better!!

Why not me? Lol. I have platinum ears, golden ears are so yesterday.
cool.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #165 of 2,884

I've been saving and was literally about the pull the trigger on the HE-400 along with an E17K this weekend when I came across this thread.  I guess I'd better wait.

The reviews of the HE-400i indicate that it's not really the headphone for me, and I was darn near convinced the HE-400 was just about perfect for me being a borderline basshead, but I was a little concerned about the treble peak. 

Any idea when we'll find out if the conjecture is true? I'd hate to miss out on remaining stock of the HE-400 if this is more like a warmed over HE-300.  (Price point has me slightly worried.)
I also prefer the look of the 400, but that's not why I'm buying new cans, is it.

Oh, best phones I've owned recently is the HD280 Pro, but I had some open back ones years and years ago that I preferred.  (Can't even remember what they were now... too damn old.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back