NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 9, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #526 of 2,884
  The 400S is a $300 hp, but everyone seems to be comparing them to significantly more expensive sets, e.g., HD650, LCD-2, HE-560, HE-400i. Why are these expected to perform up to or better than these more expensive sets?  

I'm new to these forums and the audiophile scene, but I've been following this thread and decided to order these a few days ago as my first pair of audiophile quality headphones.  From what I've been reading, I think I will be getting exactly what I hoped for, a nice pair of headphones for a rather inexpensive price.

Its more about establishing a familiar base-line by which to compare.  Sonic impressions are meaningless without establishing a baseline for comparison.  The HD650 has LONG been a very familiar headphone for most HF members over the past decade+... its also personally one of my favs, for its various strengths.

Some of the most common themes for every mid-priced (and entry level) headphone is "How high up the ladder does it scale?", and "What do I gain as I scale up the ladder of diminishing return?"

Jul 9, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #527 of 2,884
  I have been going back and forth between the 400s and hd650 for a few days now. The 400s competes well but ultimately the hd650 comes out on top for me. The mids, while good on the 400s, are better on the 650. And also the sound is a little more cohesive on the 650. 

The 400s has more sub bass than the 650 which has more of a mid bass bump. The sound at this price is impressive on this hp especially at $299. This is a good planar that is comfortable and will bring the planar sound to a wholel new sub set of potential owners. But IMHO, it does not knock off the hd6x0. 

Cool thanks!!

How do the two compare in terms of image and soundstage?

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #528 of 2,884
  Just received my 400s from the DHL man. I will post some impressions later tonight. I was listening to the 400i just before he came.
1. The 400s plays at a higher volume compared to the 400i at the same volume setting from an Asgard 2. no doubt about it. more efficient.
2. They sound close to each other as I was expecting. Sound stage might be bigger on the 400s. I need more time with them. Will give more thoughts in a day or so.
3. They sound real good though. WoW

Looking forward to your comparison, as a 400i owner I hope it's not a $200 cheaper upgrade LOL.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #529 of 2,884
Quote:
  I've been listening for the last 2 hours. These are initial impressions and may change over time.

Initial impressions

1. Treble is extended but smooth. As someone sensitive to treble, I have no problems so far. No weird brightness, no tizziness.
  2. Mids are superb. Vocals are indeed amazing. Silky smooth, lovely mids.
  3. This headphone is not bass-shy. Bass is there. It's tight and present. This is a balanced headphone with some extra bass. That said, this is no bass monster either. Compared to Fidelio X2, they are a touch less in quantity. However, I believe they are also tighter and can go deeper. Personally I find the bass very good, but it wouldn't be enough for bass-heads. This is a balanced headphone with some extra bass, not a basshead headphone. Great for EDM (listening to St. Tropez by DJ Antoine right now and it sounds fantastic) but may not be enough for hiphop.
  4. These are quite comfortable to wear. Build quality is also very good for the price. It looks cool and it's nice to touch. Personally I like how it looks and fits.
  5. The cable is 1.5m. They said this would be good with smartphones so I was expecting to see a cable with inline controls but just a regular 1.5m cable. It's nice though.
  6. These headphones are definitely not easy to drive. I can easily turn the volume up to 3 o'clock on iDSD Micro (Eco Mode). I'd actually say (by memory) these are as hard to drive as HD650. Definitely harder to drive than Fidelio X2. I doubt a smartphone or tablet could drive these.
  7. The music sounds engaging and fun. This is balanced but not analytical. These would be good all-rounders for music, Youtube videos, watching movies etc.
  8. These headphones are also good all-rounders for all music genres. Everything I throw at them sounds nice. These are good for EDM fans as well.
  9. These leak a lot of sound. Definitely not for using in public transport. On the bright side,
  1. these certainly sound better and more fun and engaging than Oppo PM-3.

THIS is the comparison we need to know about. I know its open vs. closed but both the 400S and PM-3 are planar, close enough in price, and claim to be easy to drive (even if 1 really isn't). Better yet, how about a comparo between the 400S, PM-3, and Fostex MKIII.....

If you use the new focus pad on the old he400 a lot of the treble gets fixed. It's all a matter of preference of course but with all the headphones I have they're still my favourite. Nothing beats them for sheer fun and just very good sound.289 is a steal!

Still tempted (since last year) to get the original 400 but not if have to change the pads. Besides, I already have a pure silver cable for my Z7s that should work with the 400S using a couple adapters. That could help improve the sound a bit (like it did for the Z7s).

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #530 of 2,884
I think these are a side-grade to HD650, also to Fidelio X2. That doesn't mean these are not great though. I prefer these to pricier Oppo PM-3, Audeze EL-8 and HD700, Beyer T90 and many many more. They are pricier but HE400S is more musical and fits better to my musical tastes. I value fun, engaging signature, and smooth treble over other traits. As I said, these are a side-grade to HD650 but still retains planar characteristics so they are as different as they are similar, and I prefer HE400S as the bass is better than HD650. It goes much lower whereas HD650 has just mid-bass but almost no sub-bass. Also I think these have better highs, crisper and more extended. Mids, I think it's a tie.In the end I'd choose 400S but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else preferred HD650. They are both great.

I think listening to rock with these is a very fun experience. Due to some magic they did, guitar based music sounds amazing and very non-fatiguing, even hard rock and metal. I think, as Matt said, there's some slight upper-mid dip. I'm not a pro on measurements and I may be making things up, but up to now, all headphones I've owned that sounded non-fatiguing and easy to listen with guitar based rock music have had slight dips in upper mids. That said, I'd wait for actual measurements to arrive to a conclusion.

I must also say HE400S has an addicting sound! I can't stop listening to music with it, it's a very nice experience.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #531 of 2,884
  I think these are a side-grade to HD650, also to Fidelio X2. That doesn't mean these are not great though. I prefer these to pricier Oppo PM-3, Audeze EL-8 and HD700, Beyer T90 and many many more. They are pricier but HE400S is more musical and fits better to my musical tastes. I value fun, engaging signature, and smooth treble over other traits. As I said, these are a side-grade to HD650 but still retains planar characteristics so they are as different as they are similar, and I prefer HE400S as the bass is better than HD650. It goes much lower whereas HD650 has just mid-bass but almost no sub-bass. Also I think these have better highs, crisper and more extended. Mids, I think it's a tie.In the end I'd choose 400S but I wouldn't be surprised if someone else preferred HD650. They are both great.

Thank you very much for sharing. I was doubting between the PM3 and HE400s to be my first planar headphones (I know they're very different types of headphones). Can you say something about soundstage size of the HE400s? I'm currently using the MDR-MA900 for gaming and movie purposes - wondering if I should sell these to help finance the HE400s and a suitable amplifer. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #532 of 2,884

Thank you very much for sharing. I was doubting between the PM3 and HE400s to be my first planar headphones (I know they're very different types of headphones). Can you say something about soundstage size of the HE400s? I'm currently using the MDR-MA900 for gaming and movie purposes - wondering if I should sell these to help finance the HE400s and a suitable amplifer. 

I auditioned PM-3 at the dealer, it was boring and not fun at all. I didn't like it. It's also closed back so soundstage was very small, even much smaller than my IEMs, Earsonics Velvet. HE400S has good soundstage but nothing massive. Fidelio X2 has better soundstage, for instance.  I haven't heard MA900 so I don't know how they compare to HE400S. HE400S is great for movies, bass extension really helps in that regard. Gaming requires other traits as well though, such as the ability to convey enemy's position and I don't know if these are good at that cause I have not tried. I usually game with speakers, but I can try at the weekend.

Jul 9, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #533 of 2,884

I auditioned PM-3 at the dealer, it was boring and not fun at all. I didn't like it. It's also closed back so soundstage was very small, even much smaller than my IEMs, Earsonics Velvet. HE400S has good soundstage but nothing massive. Fidelio X2 has better soundstage, for instance.  I haven't heard MA900 so I don't know how they compare to HE400S. HE400S is great for movies, bass extension really helps in that regard. Gaming requires other traits as well though, such as the ability to convey enemy's position and I don't know if these are good at that cause I have not tried. I usually game with speakers, but I can try at the weekend.

The PM-3 was designed as a portable planar. They don't leak much and (unlike the 400S) can actually be driven by a smartphone (not to great levels but sufficient). Doesn't have a huge soundstage but, depending on the track being played, they can be surprisingly revealing.

They're the most accurate headphones I own and are my reference phones. Not always the most fun but essential.

Jul 9, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #535 of 2,884

The PM-3 was designed as a portable planar. They don't leak much and (unlike the 400S) can actually be driven by a smartphone (not to great levels but sufficient). Doesn't have a huge soundstage but, depending on the track being played, they can be surprisingly revealing.

They're the most accurate headphones I own and are my reference phones. Not always the most fun but essential.

Well, everyone has different tastes.

Right now I'm listening to Hotel California (192 Khz) by Eagles and bass feels a bit too much. This headphone can be a bass monster (the audiophile kind) when necessary, it seems.

Jul 9, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #536 of 2,884
  I've been listening for the last 2 hours. These are initial impressions and may change over time.

Initial impressions

1. Treble is extended but smooth. As someone sensitive to treble, I have no problems so far. No weird brightness, no tizziness.
  2. Mids are superb. Vocals are indeed amazing. Silky smooth, lovely mids.
  3. This headphone is not bass-shy. Bass is there. It's tight and present. This is a balanced headphone with some extra bass. That said, this is no bass monster either. Compared to Fidelio X2, they are a touch less in quantity. However, I believe they are also tighter and can go deeper. Personally I find the bass very good, but it wouldn't be enough for bass-heads. This is a balanced headphone with some extra bass, not a basshead headphone. Great for EDM (listening to St. Tropez by DJ Antoine right now and it sounds fantastic) but may not be enough for hiphop.
  4. These are quite comfortable to wear. Build quality is also very good for the price. It looks cool and it's nice to touch. Personally I like how it looks and fits.
  5. The cable is 1.5m. They said this would be good with smartphones so I was expecting to see a cable with inline controls but just a regular 1.5m cable. It's nice though.
  6. These headphones are definitely not easy to drive. I can easily turn the volume up to 3 o'clock on iDSD Micro (Eco Mode). I'd actually say (by memory) these are as hard to drive as HD650. Definitely harder to drive than Fidelio X2. I doubt a smartphone or tablet could drive these.
  7. The music sounds engaging and fun. This is balanced but not analytical. These would be good all-rounders for music, Youtube videos, watching movies etc.
  8. These headphones are also good all-rounders for all music genres. Everything I throw at them sounds nice. These are good for EDM fans as well.
  9. These leak a lot of sound. Definitely not for using in public transport. On the bright side, these certainly sound better and more fun and engaging than Oppo PM-3.

I've been thinking of getting the Fidelio X2 for a while, as I own both the HE-500 and HE-300, but have been spending more time with my 300 lately as I prefer the extra bass presence in the 300. Have you ever heard the 300? If so, how would you compare them? 

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #537 of 2,884
Well at this time I like the 400s over the 400i. I don't know what it is. I can't figure it out. Maybe because it's the new thing syndrome. For now I will keep the 400i until things shake out. But selling the 400i has crossed my mind like 10 times already. 

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:42 PM Post #538 of 2,884
So I have been doing some low frequency sweeps 10hz-100hz and my right driver on the 400s makes a wierd noise. almost like a buzzing. It almost to me seems like the diaphragm is not glued in properly and when it vibrates it make a funny noise.  The left driver doesn't make the noise so i think i have a faulty driver or it wasn't glued in properly or something. My 400i doesn't make the noise and the left driver on the 400s doesnt make it either. Also when I have been doing these sweeps I think the bass on the 400s has a bit more punch to it for sure. Cleaner tighter punchier (minus the buzz). So sad, I don't want to send it back because I like the bass on this one. Hopefully the one they send back has the same amount if not more bass.

Jul 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #539 of 2,884
I started to notice the buzz when i started playing some dubstep and a mtx bass cd. The buzz is REAL. So disappointing. But even though the right driver is faulty it still sounds to my ears like a cleaner, crisper 400i with better bass quality. Contacting Hifiman now. I will update.

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #540 of 2,884

Edit: I love you too Reddit!

Short Impressions:

The sound is liquid. It is farily airy while still carrying a great deal of weight to it. Think of it as the HE560's authority with the HE400i's free-flowing spirit. The tonal ranges are fairly balanced, with a sweet and very noticeable mid-range and the subtle bass bump. But because it is so balanced, active listening to the point of wanting to hear extreme detail or nuances may not be this headphones best point. That's not to say it isn't detailed, it is, but its a bit more on the softer luscious side of things. Me Gusta

The build is quite decent on the HE-400S. To begin, it has all the general characteristics of the new-generation look starting with the HE-560s. From first looks, it may appear the same but it isn't. Due to the price of this headphone, minor cuts were placed on it. The outer shell is pure plastic and the headband isn't as 'nice' as the big boy units. But....it's fricking $299 for a planar magnetic headphone that sounds pretty good weighing in at only 350 grams.......so seriously. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I love that they went with some cuts in this section so they could cram as much engineering and parts into the headphone. It's nice looking, but if you wanted real luxurious wood, you wouldn't be buying a $299 headphone.

The cables are just regular detachable 2.5mm ones. You can probably DIY your own. I like these so much more than the standard ones the HE line uses. The standard ones are the twisty screw ones. Those were a PITA and twisted the cables when you put them on. These, you simply plug and its done. Voila. Only issue is that the cable is thick and is not flexible. It's pretty hard and a pain to use really.

These are just first impressions. They are subject to change.

Please look forward to the full review on Headphone.Guru[1] .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back