NEW 2015 - HIFIMAN HE400S
Jul 4, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #241 of 2,884
The **** is this?

Hideous color scheme, but interested in what it sounds like. Here's hoping for an ACTUAL HE400 successor, not the lie that is the 400i. Preferrably something like a planar X2 with the HE400 cavernous reaching bass.

Though honestly, the whole damn lot of HE400 owners present and past have just wanted a new 400 with the same bass, and zero of that nasty treble spike. If they did that, HFM is gonna DOMINATE the $300 bracket. I'd consider selling my X2 if that happened. I only have room for one main headphone, and would love that to be a new 400 successor.

As a Fidelio X2 fan who regrets selling it, I bought this one to try something different. If this doesn't do it for me, I'll go back to Fidelio X2. I also have room for only one over-ear headphone. Fidelio X2 is indeed amazing. I hope this is as good as it is.

Jul 4, 2015 at 5:05 AM Post #242 of 2,884
Thank GOD this is out...
My biggest grief with the HE-400 was it's headband and connectors, with the occasional harsh treble spike.

I have the HE-400i's, but they honestly bore me to death. I miss my He-400's signature.
I listen to primarily Metalcore and Deathcore
I don't do warm, and I don't do neutral. I need that V-shape back in my life, and nobody did it as smoothly as the He-400

If this is truly He-400 in sound signature and soundstage (he-400i's have such poor soundstage. Great imaging, but they make me feel claustrophobic versus how the He-400 was), I will happily downgrade the the HE-400s and save myself $300 along the way.

Keep this thread going, or make a a 400S discussion thread, this is a very interesting product for me.

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #244 of 2,884
Here's to hoping they offer a different color. If it wasn't "silver" I'd have ordered a set.

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #245 of 2,884
Here's to hoping they offer a different color. If it wasn't "silver" I'd have ordered a set.

I'm not a fan of the silver either. Seems that to get the price down to $299 some things had to be compromised. I really liked the paint on the 400i. Very classy and auto quality. In fairness, my hd650 is also plastic and I have no issues with it. I'm assuming that the new 400s is plastic based cups. 

If they get the sound right, all is good. 
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #246 of 2,884

You could always take the drivers out and paint it a different color. It could be worst it could had been orange, red or lime green.

Jul 4, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #255 of 2,884
For the silver, I think we can only judge when we see it in real life.
It's not the silver that I don't like but it seems like some sort of (hard) plastic or something, it doesn't look like
a sturdy headphone, but I may be wrong. The sound is the most important.
Waiting for the reviews to come in, then decide if it's something for me, as I need a new headphone
within a month (ZMF Omni on the radar as well or anything around euro 500).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back